Review of Pearl city Market

and up
Shanghai City Bus Tour
Ranked #146 of 1,340 things to do in Shanghai
Reviewed February 10, 2014

visit this place if you want to buy stuff at good price. I visited today and got good deals. The only thing is that a lot of bargaining to be done. start with less than 50% of what is quoted by the shop.

2  Thank PreneetBhat
in 4 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed December 19, 2013

This place took 30 min to get to but was worth the trip. I ended up buying 7 strands of pearls plus studs and 2 other necklaces for 660yuan. Expect to end up paying around 100 yuan for a string of close to perfect middle size pearls with earrings thrown in. There are also often other some cheaper necklaces around for less perfect pearls.

I visited Four Season Pearls just near the top of the escalator.
You may be able to get better bargins but I didnt haggle very hard. I was still very happy with my purchase.

Above and below the pearl level are normal markets with clothing, bags shoes, sunnies etc. This place was ok but they dont haggle very much so know exactly how much you want to pay and then leave if its not what you want to pay.

My only biggest tip for this place is go in the morning and you will get better deals - they may often give it to you close to cost price if you are their first customer and haggle super hard as they need to make the first sale for the day's luck.

4  Thank Teee555
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have been to the Pearl Market more than once and will go back in the future. I've purchased peals, jade and coral for my wife and daughters. I have also purchased three tailor made suits along with a number of custom made shirts. The prices for all are very good and the selection is amazing. In fact after looking at multiple books of material I just selected suits that were on display.
To get a good deal you have to do some research. If you know a local or expat they can be of great help and more than likely recommend a particular vendor. That is what happened in my case, I just mentioned my friends name and it was like I was family, price and quality was very good.
Pearls can be tricky, as can jade, read up on the item, know what makes them valuable and what to look for. Go in armed with intelligent questions and you will do well. I have not run into any unscrupulous jeweler s or tailors, but the same can't be said for the vendors selling local souvenirs. There is more negotiating with them, don't fall for their first price and watch out for "your my fist customer of the day" so I'll give you a good deal. Again, shop around, see various dealers and you will see that posted prices are almost always the same, it is the negotiated price that will be different. But again, if you do your homework you will do ok.

10  Thank Walmack
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The photo and the address listed here are not the same place. Please correct this. This place is worth finding but it is out on line 10 .

9  Thank stefan53
See more reviews
Reviewed April 2, 2013

If you are just staying in the center of Shanghai and want to do some Pearl shopping, this is the place. I have been visiting Linda at Linda's Pearls on the 2nd floor since 2005 and have bought ALOT from her over the years. You will need to bargain on price but you can design your own necklace or buy something that she has on display.

If you have the time for a 30 min tax ride you can go to HongQiao Pearl Market as the prices will be a bit cheaper there.

Beacuse I trust Linda I tend to buy the nicer pearls from her and then will take a trip to HongQiao to get some "fun" necklaces at a lower price.

6  Thank Trendale