“utraviolet enabled my six sense”

Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet
Ranked #6 of 17,655 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Conceived by Paul Pairet since 1996 and opened in May 2012, Ultraviolet is the first restaurant of its kind uniting food with multi-sensorial technologies in order to create a fully immersive dining experience. A single table of ten seats only. A dining room of high-end technology. A 20-course "Avant-Garde" set menu. All guests sit together. The experience unfolds as a play. Food leads. Each course is enhanced with its own taste-tailored atmosphere: lights, sounds, music, scents, projection, images and imagination... And food.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I do not want to give any spoilers but OMG, you totally need to try this place. They will stimulate all your senses while having a magnificent dinner. One in a lifetime experience because of their price tag and because the second time probably it wont be as good!

Date of visit: February 2014
3  Thank LucyChangHK

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were a large group travelling to Shanghai for a 50th birthday celebration. Ultraviolet was successfully booked 6 months out. Our group was an ungainly number (!) and the fabulous staff, both floor and back of house managed our reservation issues wonderfully.
The service is seamless, one fabulously choreographed ballet with food as the star performer,
supported by wonderful theatrical flourishes from beginning to end. Where we can dine next after this extraordinary event??
Ah we'll have to do the UV"A" menu next time!
Many thanks to Sacha, Colin and Chef Greg, Chef Fred and of course Chef Paul himself

Date of visit: June 2014
3  Thank homebeijing
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We waited 6 months (as had to cancel our first reservation) for a place at this single table, 10 seat piece of "gastro theatre" but it was well worth it. The food itself is, well, a bit weird, but that's the whole point, it makes you think about food in a very different way. Add to this the sensory experience of moving visuals on the walls (our favourites we're the tide coming in and descending into the ground!), accompanying sound and "smell" tracks and it's a night out that you won't forget in a hurry. It's not just a gimmick either, the food was excellent and the veal we had on our visit was truly the best I have ever tasted, hands down. One of the things that completed the experience for us was that after some 20 courses we were invited into the kitchen for a very close up experience with Paul Pairet for a few more strange but tasty morsels. Overall very well done and manages to avoid the pretentiousness that we suspected might accompany the experience. A great night out, booking is essential, up to 3 months in advance.

Date of visit: May 2014
5  Thank Andy W
Reviewed May 2, 2014

My husband and I were blown away with this entire experience. Another negative reviewer commented on how it is for people who are pathetic, or whatever. I disagree. Being in a town where we knew no one, it was nice to be able to socialize with some different people, some of who were locals and gave us some tips on things to do and avoid in Shanghai. This reviewer must have been a person who thought they were too good for the group and didn't fit in. Our entire group had a bunch of fun together. Now, onto the food. We had a 24 course menu and from that 24 course menu, there were ONLY 3 things I would not order again. THREE! That's not to say they weren't good, I am just not particularly fond of oysters and some specific ingredients. My husband loved it all. It was a night that I am very glad we took the time and money to make happy. We got to take a look in the kitchen and meet Chef Paul afterwards, which was real cool as well. If you have the chance, make sure you try to get in! We got in by chance. It was sold out for quite a while and 2 weeks before our trip, I just hopped online to check and 2 people cancelled. If your date is full, try checking back 1-2 weeks before the date you want to go because I notice that is when people cancel due to the deposit not being refundable the last week.

Date of visit: April 2014
3  Thank Laurenn K
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I had the opportunity to dine at UV on the 28 of march and the experience was bigger and better then expected to composition of food, perfect service, Drinks and entertainment was just amazing !

Date of visit: March 2014