“Best Meal Ever”

Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet
Ranked #6 of 17,655 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Conceived by Paul Pairet since 1996 and opened in May 2012, Ultraviolet is the first restaurant of its kind uniting food with multi-sensorial technologies in order to create a fully immersive dining experience. A single table of ten seats only. A dining room of high-end technology. A 20-course "Avant-Garde" set menu. All guests sit together. The experience unfolds as a play. Food leads. Each course is enhanced with its own taste-tailored atmosphere: lights, sounds, music, scents, projection, images and imagination... And food.
Reviewed February 27, 2014

It will sound cliche, and perhaps trite, but this was without a doubt the best meal I have ever eaten. The food was beyond fantastic and amazing. I had the single best bite of food that's ever entered my mouth in a bread, truffle, butter dish. The food did not overwhelm the sensory experience, which was really cool. The staff was superb and extremely friendly. Meeting the chefs at the end was an very nice treat. Turns out the head chef on our night is from Columbus, OH so we had a connection with him being from Ohio.

There really is no way to describe the evening and do it justification. You simply must try it though. I could not recommend a restaurant more.

Date of visit: February 2014
4  Thank skline2

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Incredible experience, from start to the end.
It's a whole sensory experience, be prepared to be surprised, amazed, not only by the food but by the overall event.
Can't wait to go back.
We were just 2 of us, and actually it was great to be with other people we did not know.

Date of visit: February 2014
4  Thank CasaSari
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I was blown away by the food let alone the overall dining experience. Seriously one of the coolest restaurants I've ever eaten at. HIGHLY recommend!

Date of visit: January 2014
3  Thank Valerie G
Reviewed January 23, 2014

When it comes to food, I can turn crazy. UV is probably the best food experience you can have nowadays. This is way more than just another gastro restaurant. You will not regret, you will not forgot !

It's been 2 month I have been there, whenever I hear about it I feel like passing another booking.

Date of visit: December 2013
3  Thank Fabricedeb
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Not only is the food and drink astounding and unique, not only are the visuals and music captivating, but the people—servers, cooks, and chef—are so darned nice. They even arranged our transportation home knowing that New Year's Eve is a crazy night. There was so much food, I couldn't eat it all. Desserts where smoke (the remnants of CO2) comes out of one's nose like a dragon—and we loved it. Servers racing around the table while animated gummies raced on the walls reminded me of Alice and Wonderland's Caucus Race—the whole event has a Lewis Carrollian feel to it, down to astroturf on the table at one point, and later, animated table settings. Musical selections and visual displays were thematically tied to each course: this is truly food for thought. Each course demanded to be savored with eyes closed and then opened by table mates' squeals of delight by the smells (we were often invited to smell the offerings before plunging into them), sounds, and flavors of an incredible mixture of ingredients. The pageantry of the presentations, the adherence to consistent color spectrums, the mood setting—a picnic in an orchard, a '60's psychedelic trip, the lapping of the waves underneath a pier, ending with a Charlie Chaplin film where Chaplin cooks and eats his boot while his friend envisions Chaplin as a large chicken—all contribute to the overall theme of the ebb and flow of abundance: one (or two or three) succulent bite(s) of more than 20 courses are presented in a way to allow the participant to honor and appreciate the ability of food to sustain us and make us happy to be alive. I will return with my husband and others because this is not an experience to be found anywhere else in the world. Thank you Sascha and Paul and all the named servers at the end of the film (everyone gets credit! What a nice thought) for a remarkable night suitable to the end of my remarkable year of teaching college English in China. And thank you also for the lovely gift. You all deserve praise for taking a risk and doing something completely unique and fun and funny and moving and NICE!

Date of visit: December 2013