“One of the highlight of my trip to Shangai !!”

Cook In Shanghai homestyle Chinese cooking classes- Private Cooking Class
Book In Advance
More Info
$68.00*
and up
Chinese Cooking Class and Wet Market Visit
More attraction details
Owner description: Cook In Shanghai organizes Chinese cooking classes and Cooking activities for big groups in Shanghai to introduce you to real local culture. Our regular group classes and private events all let you choose your own recipes, include a visit to the local wet market, and allow hands-on training for each participant. (Our recipes never use MSG.)
Liege, Belgium
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“One of the highlight of my trip to Shangai !!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

First you are taken to a local market where Cherry teaches you lots of stuff about meats, fishes, vegetables, fruits and so on.
Then you go back to the appartment of Helen and meet the chef that you show you how to cook the recipe of the day. Everything is well organised and it's very interesting.Cherry give you a copy of the recipe but the chef is always there to look after you. The chef didn't speak a lot of english but Cherry translated everything.
After finishig each meal, you taste it ... and it's SO GOOD!!
Beside of the course, Cherry took some time to show me a local tea market where I bought stuffs. It was very nice of her since she took on her extra time :-)
If you are interested in cooking lesson, Cook in Shanghai must be your destination ! You won't definitely regret it.

1 Thank Le_Gaumais_12

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fantastic cooking lesson!!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was a wonderful experience and definitely our best day in Shanghai ! Our group was myself, my husband, three teenage boys and my father. Cherry and Helen were always very prompt with replies to our enquiry emails and they organised a morning session for us on what turned out to be one of the hottest days (40°C) in 140 years! First Cherry took us to the local wet market where she showed us around and explained all the wonderful fish, meat, fruit and veg. She patiently answered our many questions and let us take as long as we wanted to wander around. A great experience to start the day. No tourists (apart from us) and all the market stall holders were friendly and accommodating. We then walked to Helen's flat where we were made to feel welcome with delicious refreshing fruit tea and lots of cold bottled water and fresh melon. Cherry and a fantastic (male) chef (I'm afraid I can't remember his name) taught us to make wonderful pork dumplings and then - the highlight for us - hand-pulled noodles (La Mian). So much fun, easier than we thought it would be, and so delicious (with deep-fried spring onions, ginger and a spicy noodle soup). The flat was air conditioned and extremely clean and we were comfortable and relaxed whilst learning lots of interesting cooking skills. By the end of the day Cherry had emailed us some excellent photos of us having our cooking class and she also, most importantly, included all the recipes. An excellent experience. If you want a taste of real China and are interested in cooking (but you don't need to be very experienced) then this is a fantastic thing to do. Thank you very much Cherry and Helen !

2 Thank Anon7300
Ocala, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good Attempt”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We enjoyed our experience with Cherry and the instructor. I learned that the school uses a number of instructors. Our instructor did not speak English which would have been ok since Cherry translated but we had no printed recipe to follow so amounts of ingredients and more importantly understanding the measurement of seasonings was challenging. We had 6 people in our class which takes place in the apartment kitchen. The prep table space was adequate but there were only 2 cook stations so we had to wait to cook the dishes. The living room was air conditioned but the kitchen was stifling hot and there were no fans available. There was little instruction on technique or education on seasonings. I won't take another class here.

3 Thank Deb L
Liu H, Manager at Cook In Shanghai homestyle Chinese cooking classes- Private Cooking Class, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Deb,

Thank you very much your feedback! I am Helen, the manager of Cook in Shanghai. I checked with Cherry about your recipes: We chose to cook 2 of the recipes that same day so she wasn't able to give you a printout during the class.

We've already sent all the recipes with detailed and photos your way! When you try the recipes at the home, please let us know if you have any questions! Sorry for the confusion!

This summer in Shanghai is hottest in years! We are experiencing temperatures of 40℃ daily! I want to let you know that we have just added a fan in the kitchen to prevent any discomfort in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback. We will do our very best so that this doesn't happen again and we want you to know I try to our best every time! :)

Best,
Helen Liu
Zurich, Switzerland
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Excellent chinese food”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

You like chinese food? You want to cook your favourite meal? They make it possible, just let them know before you get there.

i enjoyed the cooking class a lot. It is a home style cooking class, so we actually were at the appartment of Cherry& Helen.

They are really well organized and replied to my messages very fast.

We were just two participants in the afternoon cooking class and we cooked three different dishes (chinese Dumpling, Fish fragrant's eggplants, chili chicken). First we bought the ingredients at the wet market. Cherry was very patient to answer all our questions we raised and she gave us some very intresting informations about the food and the market itself. She was well organized with an ipad, where she showed us the English names of the vegetables and pictures of how they look when they grow.

All of the dishes tasted as good as in the restaurants i've been to. The chef was an excellent cook and gave us the instructions in chinese, which Cherry translated for us to English. Her English is very good as well.

In the meantime we drunk a lot of iced tea which was a nice refresher as it was extremly hot day. We ate in an air condionted room just on the side of the kitchen.

I would recommend this cooking class, if you are looking for an authentic and easy way how to learn to cook chinese food. Then it is great value for the money and lots of fun.

Visited July 2013
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
“Nice experience”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had a great time with Helen and Cherry. They are so nice and helpful and the way they set up the classes is wonderful. You not only learn first hand how to cook the dishes you choose, but also you can enjoy eating them and sharing a pleasant afternoon with both of them. I definitely recommend this classes to thouse that like chinese food.

Visited July 2013

Travelers who viewed Cook In Shanghai homestyle Chinese cooking classes- Private Cooking Class also viewed

Shanghai, Shanghai Region
Shanghai, Shanghai Region

Been to Cook In Shanghai homestyle Chinese cooking classes- Private Cooking Class? Share your experiences!