Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #48 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Los Angeles, California
“Good Stay”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I just checked out and was impressed by the hotel, on checking in I was upgraded to a Signature room on the 6th floor as well as being granted a 5pm checkout, SPG recognition was very good and can thank that for the latter. The room was great and very spacious. My only concerns were the very odd lighting system and the street noise I could here as the room backed onto the outside not the courtyard other reviewers have mentioned.

The public areas are great however very quiet, which was great for me, the location is stellar with great bars walking distance. Overall a good stay and would recommend.

Room Tip: Signature room interior facing
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, December 8, 2013

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review and feedback on your recent stay with us, we are thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay and that we have lived up to your expectations. Your compliments and encouragement will enable us to further motivate all of us here to continue to strive for higher and better stands.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Beautiful architecture, nice quiet environment, but suffering from backwards style government hotel service, lacking common sense training and poor quality of food.
Sunday Breakfast buffet was embarrassing, lack of good and choices.
I suggest this hotel to be either rebranded by another Starwood property or be rechristened to Motel 268 Hengshan.

(SPG Gold member here)

• Stayed November 2013
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, December 2, 2013

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

First off, thank you for taking the time to send us the feedback and I would like to extend my apologies for the unpleasant stay experience that you have encountered during your recent stay with us, there is no excuse for the fact that we did not live up to your expectation.

I have looked into the matter and have begun retraining and coaching our relevant associates to ensure that proper procedures and standards are thoroughly understood and followed, your comments and suggestions will also serve as reminders so that similar instances will not occur in the future.

Again, please accept my apologies for the unpleasant experience and I hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Smyrna
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Hotel opened in Dec. 2012. FREE WIFI throughout is very nice. Spacious bathroom with rain shower, tub, double vanity, separate toilet. Large bedroom area with adjustable flat screen TV, nice sized desk, remote control draperies, adjustable lighting throughout. Free sodas and local beer from minibar! Adequate closet with ironing board and drawers. Complicated coffee and nesoresso machines, however. Both 220/110 sockets.

24 hr gym, decent breakfast buffet. Front desk and concierge very pleasant. Nice lobby lounge area. A couple of high end shops, business center, spa, hair salon. Wake up calls right on time.

Approx 200 RMB from PVG in under an hour, but one can never predict Shanghai traffic!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tiburon09
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and would highly recommend it and will definitely stay there again. The restaurant is great for breakfast, but would not recommend it for dinner. The gym is nice and you get free wifi, except it drops as you move from one area to the next and you have to re-accept the terms and conditions. It was a pain, but at least it was free.

Room Tip: I was there on twice in October and one room had a view out to the exterior and one had a view with...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Slwhite900
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, November 1, 2013

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Hong Kong
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Beautiful architecture, the hotel itself is in a oval shape, a nice idea, but still not enough natural light. Being an oval also means one has to change lifts to get from rooms to restaurants and conference rooms. The left side of the hotel lobby (facing the check in desk), stunk like sewage though. Right side is ok though (was in room 331).

Incredibly huge rooms with nice esthetics. Free beer and soft drinks. Nespresso and tea making facilities. Washlet was a nice touch. The finishings in the bathroom is quite similar to the finishings used at most St Regis hotels; however, whoever was their contractor was could have done a better job so that plugs in the sinks don't leak or threatened to be loosened when one removes his/her charger. When I closed the bathroom door, one of the wood panels on the ceiling shifted and I can't reopen it fully. Minor stuff, but since this is the Luxury Collection, should have done better. The rest of the room is nicely decorated in modern minimalism.

Food is where everything falls apart. Before I came here, I had heard from two individuals who do not know each other that they got food poisoning after dining at the hotel. I stayed away from all uncooked food, but still had some stomach trouble. Having seen how the staff rolled out the food to the conference venue, I sort of realised why food safety might not be something that they are keenly aware of. I picked up a pretzel from the deli as a snack and that was so tough that I wondered how many days this baked good has been sitting on the shelf - I couldn't even pull it apart. That was a waste of RMB 22!

Service on the whole was not fabulous - staff will just tell you to go take the lifts on the right without indicating where they were exactly. And since the lifts are hidden (and there are no signs), I couldn't find it when I first arrived. Catering staff will just roll out their cart and make you make room for them as you cross the lobby or hallway - that was a bit shocking as I've never seen catering staff wheeling out their carts through the lobby.

We had drinks at the outdoors terrace on the 5/F one night. 30 mins after we've ordered our drink, and only after when two people had gone in and asked where is our wine and cocktails, were the drinks delivered. Apparently, they had to go back down to the 1/F to get the drinks!

Gym has nice equipment, but strange set up with some weights outside and some in a smaller room that was probably designed for private training. But air circulation in the gym was very poor.

I would probably come back here due to SPG points, but the Langham Xintiandi is definitely better value (if you don't mind the pink!).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, October 30, 2013

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights in late September. This is a second review of the hotel since I stayed here in April 2013 also. Rooms and hotel are nice - bathrooms are quite nice. Breakfast buffet and fitness are very nice. My only quibble on this stay was that I did not think the staff were as accommodating as my previous visit. Service was incredible in April, and I would say pretty good this time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for one night. Apparently this is a new hotel which was only open last Dec. The room was quite good and you get everything you expect and the pool is also good. Also the location is quite good.However I found out the hardware was not that great. First house keeping, the rubbish left by the previous guests were not cleaned , second the quality of food is just about average, third some staff is lack of training especially iro Gym and Pool. Having said that, the concierge was quite helpful. May come back again,

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business