“Great business trip”

Ranked #48 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Chicago, IL
“Great business trip”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed in September for a business trip. We had a conference at the hotel.The hotel arranged for the transportation from the airport. The driver called ahead when we were approaching the hotel so check in was a breeze, completed in the room itself. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The room was quite large as was the bathroom. I loved the coffee/espresso machine. The toilet was a trip as others mentioned, although I could not figure out how to turn off the heat. The food and service was very good. The breakfast buffet had several options to choose from accommodating all types of preferences for food. The only complaint was the wifi. I had troubles using it with VPN together. At the end of the trip I discovered hard wire accessories in one of the beautiful lacquered boxes that I could have used. During checkout, I realized that I had left my phone in the room. Someone was kind enough to go search for me without any issues at all, brought my phone down to me. Overall great stay.

Room Tip: rooms facing the courtyard are quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, October 15, 2013

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review and feedback on your recent stay with us, we are thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay and that we have lived up to your expectations. As to the problems you mentioned, our team will take effort to improve service and will provide you with a better experience when the next trip takes you back to Shanghai!

Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

This newly built low-rise hotel, about 9mo. old at the time of this review, boasts beautifully finished rooms with great comfort and gadgets. From a toilet seat hat welcomes you with open arms (no kidding, the lid just opens for your as you approach) to the JBL iPod clock (4 series compatible), to the surround sound from a great flatscreen Samsung, to the wonderful WiFi service free throughout, it made for a wonderful stay. Everyone went out of their way to welcome you. Specifically, i would like to recognize Virgina (concierge), and Frank from the front desk staff - keep up the great work!

As you head for breakfast, be sure to check out the outside seating area. Although service lacks, it's a wonderful retreat to start your day.

This location does not lack restaurant options. Whithin walking distance, and For a fun and western-like atmosphere, check-out Shanghai Brewery for a great beer (they had my Duvel - Belgian) and OK sports bar food.

This was a nice change from my usual stay at JW Marriott. I recommend you give it a try, it will not disappoint.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

It is such a pleasure to see your great review shared on Tripadvisor.com. We would like to express our gratitude to your compliments on our staff and facilities. Your compliments and encouragement will enable us to further motivate all of us here to continue to strive for higher and better stands.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Excellent service and smiling staff who are very helpful. Rooms are excellent and well equiped. enjoyed my stay. I recommend it if you want good value for money in a nice area of Shanghai. the beds were very comfortabe, meeting rooms were large and accomodated for a large number of people.
access to the hotel was also easy from variosu parts of town.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Conclusion: this time better than last time. and getting better. i really like this hotel a lot. (yes there are still issues, but it is getting better each time. just be sure to tell it to the management directly) Highly recommend! but this time I had some issues with the doorman so i go with four stars. (which management fixed after the stay)

This stay: Another follow up stay as I really like this hotel .1 nights. room was courtyard view (junior) suite. super peaceful. no noise whatsoever.

Pros: great location. hardware is perfect.

Considerations: software. this time the staff was better, but doorman had some issues i had to sort out. also the whole property still has a bit empty feeling but i actually like it.

No Comments: Spa, massage

About me: East asian male, based in Hong Kong, travels for business and pleasure 100-150 nights a year (most Asia), SPG platinum 75

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2013

#receptionist front desk attitude didnt look too happy nor welcoming upon our checking in.
#as an spg member they were supposed to ask us the option for breakfast or points or other options for us to choose.
#after having to ask if breakfast is included, then, the receptionist gave us the option.
#when all done for check in, we just realised we werent told where the location of the breakfast situated. Apparently you have to take a different elevator and on the 5th floor.
#bathroom is smelly
#cigarette butt still on the balcony
#one of the bedside lamp is not working
#aircon is weak. Totally warm inside the room as if theres no air flow
#apart from the standard Remede shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, the rest of the supplies are cheap standard. (unlike most other luxury collection we've stayed)
#not to mention the ugly exterior looking bricks material building.

#stayed in many many spg hotels, never really had problems with the rest. But this one, is totally disappointing. Considering this is a category 5 spg category.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank mdmonsieur
Veenendaal, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here for three nights earlier this month and was a bit disappointed. The hotel looks great from the outside but the lobby looks rather empty. The decor is nice but it doesn't feel "warm".
Check-in was clumsy, staff was not sure what to do, it seemed. Our rooms were not ready and we had to wait hours before they were. The lay out of the hotel is such that if you are unlucky you have to walk a really loooooong way. The room itself was spacious and beautiful decorated.
I loved the Nespresso machine in the room! The fitness facilities and swimming pool are nice but are only accessible by one elevator which often means you have to switch elevator at lobby level. The Hengshan Road subway station is very close which is convenient.

Room Tip: If you exit the hotel and turn left there is a subway station around the corner.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, September 28, 2013

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

First off, thank you for taking the time to send us the feedback and I would like to extend my apologies for the unpleasant stay experience that you have encountered during your recent stay with us, there is no excuse for the fact that we did not live up to your expectation.

I have looked into the matter and have begun retraining and coaching our relevant associates to ensure that proper procedures and standards are thoroughly understood and followed, your comments and suggestions will also serve as reminders so that similar instances will not occur in the future.

Again, please accept my apologies for the unpleasant experience and I hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed for 2 weeks while on business. Very spacious and comfortable rooms. I think it was built less than a year ago so everything is new and clean.

The pool, gym, and spa are lovely.

Great location as it is directly above the Hengshan Road Metro Stop. The area around the hotel is a little seedy, but walk a few blocks to get to great restaurants on Dongping or Yongkang.

Do not underrate iDarts across the street. My god we had fun throwing darts and drinking cheap beer.

Morning breakfast was fantastic, one of the best breakfast buffets I ever had. It had both asian and western cuisine. The noodle soup and congee bars were my favorites. The in-hotel cantonese restaurant was pricey but tasted good in a pinch after getting back from long days of work.

Okay the problem with this place... THE SMELL! Damn it smells like a sewer in the lobby and elevators. Also my toilet area also had a stinky quality that would not go away, even after I asked service to come up and clean.

Five stars if not for the smell.

1 Thank Mike H