“A bit disappointed”

Ranked #59 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
Veenendaal, The Netherlands
“A bit disappointed”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here for three nights earlier this month and was a bit disappointed. The hotel looks great from the outside but the lobby looks rather empty. The decor is nice but it doesn't feel "warm".
Check-in was clumsy, staff was not sure what to do, it seemed. Our rooms were not ready and we had to wait hours before they were. The lay out of the hotel is such that if you are unlucky you have to walk a really loooooong way. The room itself was spacious and beautiful decorated.
I loved the Nespresso machine in the room! The fitness facilities and swimming pool are nice but are only accessible by one elevator which often means you have to switch elevator at lobby level. The Hengshan Road subway station is very close which is convenient.

Room Tip: If you exit the hotel and turn left there is a subway station around the corner.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

First off, thank you for taking the time to send us the feedback and I would like to extend my apologies for the unpleasant stay experience that you have encountered during your recent stay with us, there is no excuse for the fact that we did not live up to your expectation.

I have looked into the matter and have begun retraining and coaching our relevant associates to ensure that proper procedures and standards are thoroughly understood and followed, your comments and suggestions will also serve as reminders so that similar instances will not occur in the future.

Again, please accept my apologies for the unpleasant experience and I hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Yours sincerely,

Johnny Mathis
Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed for 2 weeks while on business. Very spacious and comfortable rooms. I think it was built less than a year ago so everything is new and clean.

The pool, gym, and spa are lovely.

Great location as it is directly above the Hengshan Road Metro Stop. The area around the hotel is a little seedy, but walk a few blocks to get to great restaurants on Dongping or Yongkang.

Do not underrate iDarts across the street. My god we had fun throwing darts and drinking cheap beer.

Morning breakfast was fantastic, one of the best breakfast buffets I ever had. It had both asian and western cuisine. The noodle soup and congee bars were my favorites. The in-hotel cantonese restaurant was pricey but tasted good in a pinch after getting back from long days of work.

Okay the problem with this place... THE SMELL! Damn it smells like a sewer in the lobby and elevators. Also my toilet area also had a stinky quality that would not go away, even after I asked service to come up and clean.

Five stars if not for the smell.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike H
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Twelve at Hengshan Road is a beautiful property located in a great area of Shanghai. The hotel staff is very friendly and will go above and beyond to provide you the best experience. Meeting space is ample and banquet team is one of the best I've seen. Guest rooms are clean, spacious (especially twin rooms!) and comfortable. I would recommend this property to both casual travelers and business travelers looking for a unique experience.

• Stayed August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very 'zen' like hotel. Interesting design with a peaceful inner courtyard. Nice to be in the heart of noisy shanghai and to not hear the relentless car horns. The standard rooms are very large and very well appointed. I got a special rate which made it affordable without being cheap, but I wonder if this was partly to do with the fact their pool (something of a feature I understand) was out of action or whether the hotel is new and they are looking to become known by regular visitors to Shanghai. My stay was made more pleasant by the very friendly staff, both at reception and the roof top restaurant (which stayed open after normal closing for me). My one very small gripe is that there was a smell emanating from the courtyard on the ground floor.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms if you like some quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 27, 2013

It's located in the former French Concession and has a low key exterior. The hotel's décor is modern Chinese with fine murals through out the hotel. I got a complimentary room upgrade with a balcony looking over the garden which is small. It has bamboo and a small waterfall. Not pretentious. The room décor is again Chinese with subtle gold, grey, beige, brown and red color. They are very harmonious and soothing. I like the amentias in the bath room: the toilette is modern Japanese style. There are two types sea salt for soaking in the warm water. A small TV in the bathroom allows me not feel bored while soaking in the tub. The bed was very comfortable. I had a hard time to figure out how to open the curtain: it's motorized and just needs to be tugged. The refrigerator is filled with plenty free soft drinks and local beer. The swim pool is big with sections for children. The locker room is luxury and also has a Jacuzzi, and sauna and a steam room. The gym has a view to the swim pool. The pool is indoor which is perfect for the 4 seasons in Shanghai. The architecture design of the swim pool allows nature light comes in from the ceiling make it very nice and light hearted. I didn't eat food there because for a native Shanghainess, the food in a luxury hotel is too expensive.The hotel is 20 meters away from the Hengshan subway station. There are lots of western clubs and all kind of restaurants within the walking distance. The only missing part is the shopping. I also give the value of the hotel 5 stars because there is a discount promotion for the room. But overall, I like it to be in the heart of Shanghai, but away from crowd.

Room Tip: The subway station is 20 meters away. Many western clubs and international restaurants and a Starbuc...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
San Mateo, California
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My fiancee and I visited the hotel for two nights mid-August. We are both former management consultants, travel a lot and are usually not very difficult about service (you can check my other reviews on this site).
First impression of the hotel is that it is gorgeous. Everything has been beautifully designed. The rooms are tastefully appointed and have very large bathrooms. The gym and pool are also extremely nice.
The major problem is that the service let us down in many occasions:
- At check-in: my fiancee and I live in the US but she was born in China. I checked in speaking English and then suddenly turned to her talking only in Mandarin. We told them we wanted to speak English. They added one sentence in English and switched back to Mandarin!
- When we got to the room, there were a few cigarette butts left on the balcony. Given the standard of the hotel, this is unacceptable
- The concierge is basically unexistant. Of course, there is a concierge desk but no one sits there. When you go to the valet desk, you can find a few people who do not know what being a concierge means. We asked them for bar recommendations and they obviously seemed surprised at such ask, checked online (dazhong - chinese version yelp) and did not offer additional services (reservations maybe??). Yes, we could have check online on our own. Of course, all of this was in Mandarin even though we were both speaking to them in English
- We are both Gold members and picked the drink as our amenity. When we got to the bar to redeem our drink (and there were no other customers), the waitress dragged her feet and did not offer to show us the menu. When she finally came back 5-10 minutes later with a menu and no smile, she took our order, seemed to make the drink herself and brought her back with no smile or any comment. In such a classy setting, we took it as a lack of respect.
- Check out was efficient but (in the middle of the afternoon), no one was there to help us with our luggage and we had to wait for 10 minutes for a valet to finally show up to get us a cab.

Somewhat unrelated but the internet is incredibly slow. We both had to do some work and lost many hours waiting for pages to load.

All in all, we would gladly stay in this hotel again if the service were to be greatly improved. We know the environment is challenging but, given the price we paid, it seems that we can expect a bit better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kristtov
Ningbo
Reviewed August 21, 2013

In the busy city like Shanghai, you would feel the rest and peace when you enter Hengshan Twelve. I like the Lounge as it makes feel nice and big in the limited place of downtown Shanghai. Yes, I like the swimming pool the best. It's big, clean and nice. Go, try it out and I've recommended my manager from US to stay there at the end of this month.

Room Tip: It's right above Metro Line 1. So in rush hours please take metro to Hengshan Road Station and i...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business