New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai

Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #52 of 4,324 Hotels in Shanghai
Los Angeles, California
“A low key luxury hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

It's located in the former French Concession and has a low key exterior. The hotel's décor is modern Chinese with fine murals through out the hotel. I got a complimentary room upgrade with a balcony looking over the garden which is small. It has bamboo and a small waterfall. Not pretentious. The room décor is again Chinese with subtle gold, grey, beige, brown and red color. They are very harmonious and soothing. I like the amentias in the bath room: the toilette is modern Japanese style. There are two types sea salt for soaking in the warm water. A small TV in the bathroom allows me not feel bored while soaking in the tub. The bed was very comfortable. I had a hard time to figure out how to open the curtain: it's motorized and just needs to be tugged. The refrigerator is filled with plenty free soft drinks and local beer. The swim pool is big with sections for children. The locker room is luxury and also has a Jacuzzi, and sauna and a steam room. The gym has a view to the swim pool. The pool is indoor which is perfect for the 4 seasons in Shanghai. The architecture design of the swim pool allows nature light comes in from the ceiling make it very nice and light hearted. I didn't eat food there because for a native Shanghainess, the food in a luxury hotel is too expensive.The hotel is 20 meters away from the Hengshan subway station. There are lots of western clubs and all kind of restaurants within the walking distance. The only missing part is the shopping. I also give the value of the hotel 5 stars because there is a discount promotion for the room. But overall, I like it to be in the heart of Shanghai, but away from crowd.

Room Tip: The subway station is 20 meters away. Many western clubs and international restaurants and a Starbuc...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
San Mateo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My fiancee and I visited the hotel for two nights mid-August. We are both former management consultants, travel a lot and are usually not very difficult about service (you can check my other reviews on this site).
First impression of the hotel is that it is gorgeous. Everything has been beautifully designed. The rooms are tastefully appointed and have very large bathrooms. The gym and pool are also extremely nice.
The major problem is that the service let us down in many occasions:
- At check-in: my fiancee and I live in the US but she was born in China. I checked in speaking English and then suddenly turned to her talking only in Mandarin. We told them we wanted to speak English. They added one sentence in English and switched back to Mandarin!
- When we got to the room, there were a few cigarette butts left on the balcony. Given the standard of the hotel, this is unacceptable
- The concierge is basically unexistant. Of course, there is a concierge desk but no one sits there. When you go to the valet desk, you can find a few people who do not know what being a concierge means. We asked them for bar recommendations and they obviously seemed surprised at such ask, checked online (dazhong - chinese version yelp) and did not offer additional services (reservations maybe??). Yes, we could have check online on our own. Of course, all of this was in Mandarin even though we were both speaking to them in English
- We are both Gold members and picked the drink as our amenity. When we got to the bar to redeem our drink (and there were no other customers), the waitress dragged her feet and did not offer to show us the menu. When she finally came back 5-10 minutes later with a menu and no smile, she took our order, seemed to make the drink herself and brought her back with no smile or any comment. In such a classy setting, we took it as a lack of respect.
- Check out was efficient but (in the middle of the afternoon), no one was there to help us with our luggage and we had to wait for 10 minutes for a valet to finally show up to get us a cab.

Somewhat unrelated but the internet is incredibly slow. We both had to do some work and lost many hours waiting for pages to load.

All in all, we would gladly stay in this hotel again if the service were to be greatly improved. We know the environment is challenging but, given the price we paid, it seems that we can expect a bit better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank kristtov
Ningbo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

In the busy city like Shanghai, you would feel the rest and peace when you enter Hengshan Twelve. I like the Lounge as it makes feel nice and big in the limited place of downtown Shanghai. Yes, I like the swimming pool the best. It's big, clean and nice. Go, try it out and I've recommended my manager from US to stay there at the end of this month.

Room Tip: It's right above Metro Line 1. So in rush hours please take metro to Hengshan Road Station and i...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank Z
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

From the moment I landed the fantastic service began with a helpful call to the concierge. The hotel is gorgeously appointed. Elegant, thoughtful, comfortable luxury. They asked my name and room the first morning at breakfast then remembered it for the rest of the stay. All were attentive without being overbearing. I think the extreme comfort of the bed helped sort out a bad back. They have even been helping me with an issue I had with the purchase of fake jade bracelets that had nothing to with the hotel. That is the extent of their commitmemt to excellent service, The only tiny thing that wasn't flawless was a room service dinner that was not delivered as ordered but the dish that was the mistake was so delicious I didn't mind at all. I cross my fingers that I have the opportunity to visit Shanghai again so that I can stay at the Twelve.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tiphany63
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Awesome neighborhood, modern, clean and comfy. This place is on its way. You'll read about it in travel magazines in a few months. I really enjoyed my stay. The new staff is receptive to advice and I really hope they don't let the service slide or skimp on the amenities. This is a great place.

A few suggestions:
-concierges haven't fully grasped the spirit of this job title. You can't really rely on them beyond a taxi. Don't expect special pull at hard-to-get reservations. Nice guys but out of touch.
-brew a cup of in room coffee before you go up for breakfast. the staff hasn't fully grasped the #1 request in the morning is COFFEE. Brew your own to soften the blow, the wait for coffee from breakfast staff is too long.
-Absolutely visit the Chinese restaurant in the hotel. It is very good. A number of really great options within walking distance are available too. Try Sheri and a the new Italian place down the street.

Room Tip: brew your own coffee in the room first.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank peterm312
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

First off, thank you for taking the time to send us the feedback and I would like to extend my apologies for the unpleasant stay experience that you have encountered during your recent stay with us, there is no excuse for the fact that we did not live up to your expectation. Just like what you’ve said, our Chinese restaurant is unique. Twelve Hengshan features Chef Kuy Fai Chung’s innovative twists on classical Shanghainese cuisine with Cantonese influences. The Porcelain chandeliers, rose-glass screens and picture windows framing a Suzhou-styled garden scene, create a memorable ambience to accompany the refined, organic cuisine.

I have looked into the matter and have begun retraining and coaching our relevant associates to ensure that proper procedures and standards are thoroughly understood and followed, your comments and suggestions will also serve as reminders so that similar instances will not occur in the future.

Again, please accept my apologies for the unpleasant experience and I hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Yours sincerely,

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed here about 8 days after they opened in 2012, and it was a spectacular place (with excellent introductory rates). The room was enormous, modern, and comfortable and the bathroom was excellent. The hotel's spa is epic.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hcmjkm
Dear Valued Guest,

It is such a pleasure to see your great review shared on Tripadvisor.com. We would like to express our gratitude to your compliments on our guest room and facilities. We are looking forward to accommodate you again with our exceptional services.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

As a frequent business traveller to Shanghai, I have stayed or been to many of the major hotels in the city. My past two stays have been at the Twelve and it is now my official favorite hotel in Shanghai. The location is excellent, the staff friendly, and the hotel itself is beautiful. I've currently rebooked at the Twelve for my next two upcoming trips.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are far nicer than rooms along the outside wall.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sean_TA_profile
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that your overall stay with us was enjoyable.
Just like what you’ve said, the hotel is located right beside the Metro Line 1 Hengshan Road Station, which is 3 km from Xintiandi and 5 km from People’s Square of the city center.
The garden oasis tucked away in the heart of the hotel is alike a traditional Chinese Secret Garden flourishing under the mist with cheery blossoms, thick bamboo groves and trickling streams which enhance Twelve at Hengshan’s romantic character and soothing Zen ambience.
We are looking forward to accommodate you again with our exceptional services.