Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #43 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Boston
“go for it”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Awesome neighborhood, modern, clean and comfy. This place is on its way. You'll read about it in travel magazines in a few months. I really enjoyed my stay. The new staff is receptive to advice and I really hope they don't let the service slide or skimp on the amenities. This is a great place.

A few suggestions:
-concierges haven't fully grasped the spirit of this job title. You can't really rely on them beyond a taxi. Don't expect special pull at hard-to-get reservations. Nice guys but out of touch.
-brew a cup of in room coffee before you go up for breakfast. the staff hasn't fully grasped the #1 request in the morning is COFFEE. Brew your own to soften the blow, the wait for coffee from breakfast staff is too long.
-Absolutely visit the Chinese restaurant in the hotel. It is very good. A number of really great options within walking distance are available too. Try Sheri and a the new Italian place down the street.

Room Tip: brew your own coffee in the room first.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank peterm312
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

First off, thank you for taking the time to send us the feedback and I would like to extend my apologies for the unpleasant stay experience that you have encountered during your recent stay with us, there is no excuse for the fact that we did not live up to your expectation. Just like what you’ve said, our Chinese restaurant is unique. Twelve Hengshan features Chef Kuy Fai Chung’s innovative twists on classical Shanghainese cuisine with Cantonese influences. The Porcelain chandeliers, rose-glass screens and picture windows framing a Suzhou-styled garden scene, create a memorable ambience to accompany the refined, organic cuisine.

I have looked into the matter and have begun retraining and coaching our relevant associates to ensure that proper procedures and standards are thoroughly understood and followed, your comments and suggestions will also serve as reminders so that similar instances will not occur in the future.

Again, please accept my apologies for the unpleasant experience and I hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Yours sincerely,

Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed here about 8 days after they opened in 2012, and it was a spectacular place (with excellent introductory rates). The room was enormous, modern, and comfortable and the bathroom was excellent. The hotel's spa is epic.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hcmjkm
Dear Valued Guest,

It is such a pleasure to see your great review shared on Tripadvisor.com. We would like to express our gratitude to your compliments on our guest room and facilities. We are looking forward to accommodate you again with our exceptional services.

San Jose, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

As a frequent business traveller to Shanghai, I have stayed or been to many of the major hotels in the city. My past two stays have been at the Twelve and it is now my official favorite hotel in Shanghai. The location is excellent, the staff friendly, and the hotel itself is beautiful. I've currently rebooked at the Twelve for my next two upcoming trips.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are far nicer than rooms along the outside wall.
1 Thank sean_TA_profile
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that your overall stay with us was enjoyable.
Just like what you’ve said, the hotel is located right beside the Metro Line 1 Hengshan Road Station, which is 3 km from Xintiandi and 5 km from People’s Square of the city center.
The garden oasis tucked away in the heart of the hotel is alike a traditional Chinese Secret Garden flourishing under the mist with cheery blossoms, thick bamboo groves and trickling streams which enhance Twelve at Hengshan’s romantic character and soothing Zen ambience.
We are looking forward to accommodate you again with our exceptional services.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The Good
New property, good location, less crowded, good room size, walk-out balcony is a nice touch, nice pool / spa facility.

The Bad
Below average food & beverage, invisible service, very local staff team, no lounge.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

It is such a pleasure to see your great review shared on Tripadvisor.com. We would like to express our gratitude to your compliments on our hotel’s facilities. As to the problems you mentioned, our team will take effort to improve service and will provide you with a better experience when the next trip takes you back to Shanghai!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Most important feature : WIFI free in room.
New and modern. Rooms are clean. Toilet : Japanese automatic electronic.
Breakfast : very good
Transport : convenient but quiet
Reception : very good and courteous, as contrasted with other busy city or national run hotels. It has the feel of Mandarin Oriental and the Jockey Club. They know you are coming here.
This was a summer visit and I received 4 bottles of water every day.

Room Tip: WIFI is free inside room. Limousine service : RMB 500 pick up from airport for 3 people. RMB...
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Neither the glitziest nor shiniest 5-star hotel in this city of superlatives. Instead, the Twelve at Hengshan is an understated, contemporary lux hotel occupying an ideal location in the tree-lined, French concession. The clientele is...say, hip-young-contemporary rather than flush in old money.

Arrival: Booked the hotel limo transfer. Instead of some hotels which have their own fleet of luxury vehicles, the Twelve seems to rely on contracted services- so, whilst I ordered the hotel 'standard Audi A6' what arrived was a BMW 7-series. Not that I was complaining. However, I was expecting the 'branding' to start from the journey in. Needless to say there was no in-car wifi or hotel branded water in the car. Nitpicking, you might say...But I paid good money for a hotel car. On the brighter side, the car was clean and comfy, driver was friendly.

Check-in: Swift, the driver must have called ahead. I was escorted to the front desk, and attended to very quickly by Frank- the bellboy, regretfully forgot his name, was also very efficient and nice. I was quickly escorted to my room.

The Room: As an spg Platinum, I was upgraded to a Courtyard suite, which in essence is a larger room (think a Jr Suite) - the bathrooms, as with all standard rooms as well, have dual vanities, separate WC - an electronic, automatic, gizmo-filled joy to use. The rain shower was also a pleasure, and water pressure was good. The bathtub was nice although the TV needs a little angling to get a good view from the tub. Amenities are Remede, a standard used in some St. Regis- so this was good stuff.

The bed, as with many newer Starwood hotels, was a joy...the sheets are still very new, so may not be the softest of them all. Bedside controls do the drapes and blinds, which may need a little mastering.

It didn't matter to me as spg Platinum, but wifi is free for everyone, which is not a standard in many luxury hotels.

My suite also came with a balcony, which has a view of the peaceful courtyard. It was hard to imagine I was in bustling Shanghai.

The workdesk, an important part of my travels, was a good size and thoughtfully laid out. Ports and switches, including built in international adaptors, were a standard.

I also received a welcome gift, presumably because of my status...so a bottle of Aussie wine, chocolates, and some cakes from the gift shop during my last night. As an spg Platinum too, there was a happy hour in the lounge which was...uninspiring. With low occupancy, and seeing me quite often, you'd think the hostess would remember you. Not a big issue, but as a luxury collection, the service isn't up-to-par.

Fitness center and pool: A fabulous facility which would be a determining factor if I should return to this hotel. Because the place is so new and occupancy was probably low, it was deserted at most times. Well equipped, with a yoga room (no lessons), weights room and assortment of machines and cardio equip overlooking the indoor pool.

Ah...the pool. It is heavily featured on hotel literature and their website. It is very nice, has cold and warm dipping pools, and the main pool itself which I didn't use. I was languishing more on the metal chairs semi-submerged in the pool, and hoped the waterfall was working (but it wasn't throughout my stay)- which was a bummer. Tip to hotel: fix it or turn it on when guests are in there.

The layout for the fitness center is kinda confusing for first-time visitors but the attendants were friendly enough and guided you. Signs point you to the right direction, but yes, it confuses.

Dining: I stopped by the Chinese restaurant, inspiringly called 12 Hengshan also, had a menu which didn't look very attractive, nor were the staff particularly engaging, so I left and never returned during my 7 day stay. Instead, I made their coffee house, the Tops & Terrace, my regular. Ally, my waitress for many days, is a star and the hotel should model their service upon what she delivers. Attentive, unobstructive and has a good memory. By day two, she remembered my name, and day 3, my preferences.

The breakfast was sad. The choices were sad, with some western and oriental cuisine, but otherwise, not at all creative nor tasty. As someone previously said, the miso is salty...yes it still is. Dinner was better, but not cheap. The burgers were good, but some items, like the Nasi goreng was questionable. The seafood chowder though was the worst ever I have had anywhere. Basically some cream with seafood and that's it. Yuck, and expensive too! The outside dining area was particularly nice.

Overall: Will I return? Yes, if they maintain spg benefits, but the Le Royal Meridien may seem another viable option. Overall, service needs to be improved. Not all the reception staff inspired confidence to my requests, as some were visibly new. No one but Ally addressed me by name, even though I was there for a week. The bellboys and concierge desk was friendly, but as a whole hotel, they need to aspire more to the luxury collection service standards. Hardware is there, software is lacking. Change this, and you'll have a winner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel itself is beautiful and the service is excellent. Every time I walk into the lobby I feel relaxed and happy, the design is stunning and the rooms are luxurious and well designed. I always enjoy my stays at this hotel; the General Manager, Reception Desk and Butler really go out of their way to welcome you back.

This is my first unsolicited review on Trip Advisor, I really enjoy staying here.

1 Thank PWHsu