Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #31 of 4,997 Hotels in Shanghai
NE Vic
“Simply superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

A brand new hotel from the Luxury Range from Starwood. Location for a visitor to me is perfect - a beautiful area of Shanghai with tree lined streets, original buildings and a massive choice of Western and Chinese restaurants and entertainement within walking distance. A very safe area to walk alone at night.
It may be a bit far from the tradtional areas of Pu Dong and The Bund, but here you see genuine Shanghai.
The hotel itself is less than 6 months old but by now the staff are fully trained and the freindlinjess and help I got from them beat anything else I have received on many previous visits to Shanghai. The rooms are large and spacious ( I stayed in a courtyard room - which was a RMB 500 upgrade) and i am not sure it was worth the extra.
The only issue I had with the room was that they have made all lights automatic with 'mood' settings and it took me 3 days to find out how to turn everything off and on!
There is one restaurant in the hotel (did not try it) but with the choice of many others within walking distance this was an advantage not an advantage.
Compared with previous hotels i have stayed in Shanghai ( Westin Bund, Hongta, Royal Meridien - very close second) I would rate this as the best.
Not cheap - but quality never is!

1 Thank apwaddo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference a couple of weeks back. As a SPG Gold member, I was upgraded to a massive a room the size of a suite. Bathroom was enormous and nice with both a tub and shower. Bed was very comfortable and there was also a terrace. The service from the staff was superb as they helped me organize several dinners and group activities with the conference group I was with. Excellent recommendations on restaurants such as Le Sheng and South Beauty. While the entire staff was unfailingly polite and helpful, I would like to give a special call out for Omi, who helped with many of our excursions.

The breakfast buffet is very good and the outdoor terrace next to the dining room is perfect for eating or drinking on a nice spring day. The gym is full service and very well equipped.

Getting around the city is easy by taxi and the Hengshan Road metro stop is literally right next door.

The only qualm I have is the pricing on the hotel. There are so many high-quality 4 and 5 star international chain hotels in Shanghai, and I am not sure I need such a luxurious place and price given the other options that exist.

1 Thank Sanjay S
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review and feedback on your recent stay with us, we are thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay and that we have lived up to your expectations. Your compliments and encouragement will enable us to further motivate all of us here to continue to strive for higher and better stands.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Tenerife, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Standard rooms are small but enough for 2-3 people. Bathroom is a little small but the toilet is automatic and japanese style (sprays water for better hygiene) and there is a tv by the bathtub for a nice long shower. The facilities are quite new and in good conditions. Numerous high end brand shops on the first floor, which can be entertaining although the prices could sometimes look like phone numbers.
The location is quite excellent either for nightlight or traveling around shanghai. there are 2 metro exits within a minute or two walking, one is one the same block around the corner and the other is right across the street.The whole street is packed with bars, along with some convenience stores, banks, spas, etc.,
The breakfast was quite nice. Covers all the basics, from cereal to eggs to salads, baked goods, fresh made pancakes and waffles, even with a sushi section, which I was not a fan for. Many guests are dressed up (I guess social status plays a role here) and hotel slippers are not allowed in the restaurants, including breakfast (I was sent back to change)
The swimming pool and changing room are quite nice, the pool has tanning chairs in the pool with "spa" function looking more promising but it reality it was a little disappointing since the chairs were out of metallic bars which felt rusted and very uncomfortable to lay on. Personally I don't like any swimming pools in China due to the fact that they either sees it as a playground for kids or a place for exercise. The female changing room has side illuminated big mirrors and provided guests with creams, cotton swipes, deodorant, and other little surprises, almost makes you feel like a Hollywood star.
The sauna is separated by gender, and so is the entrance to the swimming pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UshinKelly
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel is among the most modern I have ever stayed at. I simply can't say enough about the quality of the rooms, the superb spa, the excellent breakfast, the always attentive service, and the wonderful location in one of Shanghai's best areas.

I have only one complaint: the business center was simply not up to my needs. Printing was a problem and extremely costly. The computers were ancient, not matching everything else in this hotel which is on the cutting edge. If they improve the center, I would rate this as one of the best hotels I have stayed at in the past year.

While I see potential as a hotel for business visitors, I got the impression they are looking to tourists as much as business visitors. For the tourist looking for quality and luxury, I would strongly recommend this hotel. And there are so many wonderful restaurants nearby. Check it out on your next visit to Shanghai.

1 Thank Anthony-Susan
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I recently stayed one week at this new Starwood property.
Everything is new, so of course there is no wear and tear! Public areas are airy, bright and overall very quiet. This is where the first problem arise. Although you might appreciate to be away from the hustle and bustle of Hengshan road, the lobby and lounge area desperately lack any kind of atmosphere! there are very few customers going around, no music, staff at the lounge really look bored and spend their time playing with their iphones.... Same applies to the luxury shops there. Again that feeling: cold...
The rooms are nicely decorated and you have plenty of space to enjoy. The standalone bath is particularly nice and the bed really very comfortable.
Now, what is supposed to diferentiate this property from another is to my opnion SERVICE. And this is where the hotel is really really not yet up to the competition game. I got multiple occasion to notice a particularly amateurish service. Many times, the wish to do well is probably there, but the perception and the attitude is just wrong.
A last thing that really annoys me is the quality of FOOD. It was really below what you can expect for the price and most of the time room service was delivered COLD. The deli shop was again always empty, and when i wanted to get a coffee there the concierge was the only staff around to help.... again that area was ice cold (the ambient air, the athmosphere, etc)

All in all a nicely decorated new option in Shanghai, but i am really not sure to go back there during my next visit. I may go back to the Puli....
One last detail: my room was NOT in the courtyard, but was facing the rear of a typical 80's building, with a partcularly disgusting dump just under my window.....hence the curtains closed all the time

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Anthony D
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai. I want to apologize for not meeting your expectation especially in the area of service and food quality, both are really important aspects and attributes that would differentiate a mediocre hotel to a great one.

My management team and I will take your comments to heart and take corrective actions so that improvements are made in those area where we fall short of our standards.

I will be happy to upgrade your room to a Courtyard view room for your next visit as a token of our appreciation.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Conclusion: Could have been amazingly good, but as of now has teething problems. will be back soon to follow up.

This stay: 1 night. Upgraded to Courtyard view (junior) suite. Room itself is very nice. High quality furniture and good lighting. it's a calm luxury, and it fits the surrounding old French Concession area well. I'm a frequent traveler to Shanghai, and for non-business trips, I like to stay around the old French Concession area, so the location is perfect for me. However the room had some issues it couldn't work out. (i) when lighting in room is set to "relax" one of the lights starts to flicker. when the maintenance personnel came, he said the hotel is aware that some rooms have this problem. it's because the power sources is not consistent. i changed my room to one that does not have this issue. so watch out (ii) heating, March in shanghai was still pretty cold, so i cranked up the heating to 35C, but the room would not go higher than 23C. So again the maintenance personnel came and said that hotel runs central air, and that's on max now so it's the best they can do. (he suggested i wear more clothes - i stared him down). the hotel (after I b*tched many times) at the end did bring me an electric heater (which at first they said they didnt' have). with the electric heater, it came up to 25C, so bearable. another issue was that the hot water did not get really hot. i think it was a similar centrally controlled heating system issue. by then i wasted two hours unpacking, packing, unpacking, calling, etc so i just stopped b*tching and went out for a walk. when i came back the management sent over a bottle of wine and chocolate and basket of fruits. it worked. I was happier. but still, these are teething problems they need to work out, as I really do think this property has great potential, especially as not many properties target this affluent area.

Pros: Location (if you are into old Shanghai / French Concession and its surrounding shops / restaurants, cafes), general modern and beautiful design.

Considerations: Heating issues (as mentioned above). This extends to the swimming pool. Swimming pool itself is nice, the changing room / sauna / showers is a bit cold. management, don't try to save money by cutting off the heat, it really puts the guests off who need warmth! Lastly, the swimming pool/ changing room / elevator signs are all mixed up as they are using certain doors only (contrary to the original design). I was lost because the elevator down from the guest floor to the Basement level 2 lead me to the back entrance of the gym, and the sign told me to go inside this door, but it was locked, and then a staff came by and said i'm in the wrong area! management - please work this out - i don't need to feel stupid because your signs are mixed up. also please tell the staff to smile and admit when their signs are wrong!

About me: East asian male, based in Hong Kong, travels for business and pleasure 100-150 nights a year (most Asia), SPG platinum 75

Room Tip: Garden view is quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank lifeadventurelove
FrankBai, General Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

First off, I want to apologize for the unpleasant experiences that you had during your recent stay with us, and thank you, for taking the time to give us these valuable feedback about your stay and the hotel’s facilities and services.

I have since looked into the issues that you have mentioned and am happy to let you know that we have put in a series of measures to ensure that in room temperatures are monitored and set at an comfortable level, and that the hot and cold water mixer in the rooms are now calibrated so that hot and cold water supply are better regulated. The signage in the Fitness Center are being changed to reflect the correct directions as indeed, we have previously changed the access to the changing room and pool but not the directional signage that has caused the confusion.

Again, my apologies and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan soon.

Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

It's weird how more hotels haven't popped up on Hengshan Road, essentially in the middle of Shanghai's famed French Concession. So when Twelve arrievd we figured we'd give it a go for the weekend. From the outside it really doesn't look like a luixury hotel, in fact you'd walk straight on by thinking it was a library or something... But as soon as you get inside it's a different story - a huge garden in the centre of the hotel the highlight.

The rooms are huge with a lovely bathtub to chill out, plus what seems like a limitless supply of Nespresso in there. The whole place is spacious and kind of not what you expect for the middle of Shanghai as it has so much room to play with. In fact, it's that big that you'll find yourself walking around the corridors and the hotel to get fit. The real piece de resistance however is the Swimming Pool - a huge beautiful pool under the garden that would fit in any global luxury hotel. And no one was in it, so it fely just like it was hired for me.

A good weekend retreat, even though it's in the city centre, and a nice walk through the French Concession to a few cafes and bars like Sasha's and Cotton's just around the corner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MightyHamster
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Frank Bai