“Accelerated City Tour”

and up
Small-Group Walking Tour: Shanghai Food Culture with a Culinary Expert
Ranked #51 of 123 Tours in Shanghai
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This tour proposes to take you from the past to the future in three hours, and it delivered in spades. We began with a walk through the narrow streets, alleys, and markets of the Old City, then rounded a corner and came abruptly to blocks of rubble -- a traditional neighborhood that had just been bulldozed to make room for a high-rise development. It perfectly illustrated the thesis of the tour: that Shanghai is changing at a breakneck pace that's rapidly leaving the slow and old behind. Our stroll took in traditional shikumen houses, ramshackle temporary housing for itinerant construction workers, a gentrifying artsy section of the old waterfront warehouse district, and the gleaming glass towers of Pudong. Tour guide Anna, a professor at NYU Shanghai, was thoroughly engaging, friendly, funny, and informative. All in all, it was a fascinating introduction to Shanghai and the highlight of our trip.

1  Thank Archinerds

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I had two fantastic tours, or walks, with Context travel and both left me feeling excited about what I learned, excited about being in Shanghai and 100% sold on the value of Context Tours for any city (known or unknown by me) that I visit in the future. I did the M50-Art in China Today tour that was so exciting, informative, interesting and led by a fantastic tour guide (Christina). My daughter & I did the Crossroads Cuisine/Market Tour which was so much fun, led by Justin, who was so knowledgeable about the foods, traditions, customs, and how the different dishes were prepared. We loved every minute in the market and then the fantastic meal afterwards, all ordered by Justin, in a private dining room of a lovely Shanghai restaurant. Both tours were the highlight of my Shanghai visit and I will use Context again whenever I can, even visiting cities that I already know a bit.

2  Thank Laugh0utl0ud
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a very pleasant and informative tour with Bert. He was very knowledgeable, and put everything in proper context. Rather than the typical "flag" tour, this was more intimate and, thus, more memorable. I would not hesitate to use Context Travel once again in China and, certainly, elsewhere where they are present!!!

1  Thank Angel G
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Context Travel always provides great experiences, the tour of the food market in Shanghai was a great start to a trip to China. Justin provided the right paced stroll through a very interesting local market, sharing the importance of the meal for the local culture, describing details about the food, selection and preparation. The walk concluded with a delicious meal in a wonderful old restaurant, so many dishes, all wonderful flavors, highly recommend the walk and Justin is a great docent.

2  Thank Donna M
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I took the Context Old Shanghai and the Bund tour in September and am very pleased with the tour and Context. This was a small group tour with 3 people on it, most tours are under 6 people. When the tour director Ines met with the group, she wanted to know what we were interested in, so she could modify the tour for us. The tour lasted 3 hours and started in the Bund and ended in the Yu'an gardens. While walking down the Bund, we saw many couples posing for wedding pictures. Ines provided information on the culture behind Chinese weddings and pointed out various area's where couples would have their pictures, something the guidebooks don't tell you. One building that we wanted to go into was closed, due to it being a Saturday, Ines had a book available to show the frescos that were on the ceiling. At the end of the tour there was a little time left, so we went through a street market and got to see the various foods available in Shanghai. Ines also provided suggestions for other area's to see and restaurants to go to while in Shanghai. She also waited until we were all in taxi's, headed to our next destinations, before leaving. Given the limited time I had in Shanghai, this was the perfect length of time to get a flavor of the city. I look forward to the next tour I can take.

2  Thank SLB1970