“Hate to say it but...very disappointing”

Acqua e farina italian Restaurant
Ranked #648 of 17,077 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Acqua e Farina mean Water and flour in english , from this two classic recipe take shape most of the famous Italian dishes..This new Italian spot in Shanghai, Pudong area close to the river, is a celebration of the Italian style. Nice an comfortable environment ,Friendly staff ,Italian, Chinese , Spanish and Portuguese language, offer also outdoor , free WiFi and parking..Set lunch, Sunday brunch and special dinner menu are available..
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Went here on a Saturday night with 2 friends after someone had recommended it and as it featured in the Enjoy Shanghai book (30% off voucher). I had high hopes but was very disappointed. The appetisers were good, we had a salad and bruscetta. However, my pizza was shocking. In a local restaurant I love their potato pizza so I thought I would try the one here. The description said: tomatoes, ham and potato. It did NOT say fries / chips, but that is what was on my pizza!!! Never before have I seen fries on a pizza. It tasted very dull and lacked flavour. My friends cannelloni was also disappointing as it was very dry. The service was ok but lacked something. Was nice to meet the owner but nothing could make up for the fries on a pizza. NOT authentic Italian I am sure!!I hate to say it but I will not be back.

1  Thank anafonitria
Acqua E Farina S, Owner at Acqua e farina italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Hello Dear friend, your disappoint is also my disappointing..when only one guest is not happy that's mean we didn't do a good job..My Apologize for the accident and please next time I will like you call me directly for this.. all your feedback are necessary for improve our service and quality.

Riccardo

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is a relatively new restaurant here in Shanghai and as I have lived here for a few years, I have seen many places come and go and I will predict now that this is a place that will not last long.
The quality of the food is poor and yet they have the audacity to charge high prices. I ordered the lasagna and can honestly say that it was similar in quality to a similar one that I have tried in a cheap cafe nearby.
There are so many fantastic restaurants in Shanghai, if you come here on holiday, this does NOT deserve to be on your list.

3  Thank nipon4
Acqua E Farina S, Owner at Acqua e farina italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you for your review anyway..

Riccardo

Reviewed April 10, 2013

After days of Chinese food we were looking for a piece of italy transplanted here... And this small piece of italy brings you the REAL taste of italy. We were not annouced nor even had a reservation, but a few steps in the restaurant and Riccardo IMMEDIATELY recognised two italians. The rest is a like being in italy. Dishes, flavours, receipes. eveything is spot on! And the actual third place in overall shanghai restaurants ranking does not surprise me. it is the place that this place deserves. Come here with confidence and you won't walk away disappointed!

2  Thank Sim0n_0n_the_r0ad
Acqua E Farina S, Owner at Acqua e farina italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Ahahaha ,Thank you so much dear friend for your beautiful review here..Was really funny read that and also make all of us proud of what you say ..Sometimes people's think such nice review can't be real..but is it and we only can say thanks again for give us such great opportunity to be part of your daily meal..Cheers

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I love Italian food, and thought we would give this place a try, since we live nearby. Luckily we did, as the pizzas are really great! This is not the typical Chinese/American style pizzas, but the Italian style which can be harder to find in the city. Went there again with two friends and although they weren't too crazy about the soups, the pizzas were once again a hit. We will go again soon, and probably also soon after that.

1  Thank KasperC_13
Acqua E Farina S, Owner at Acqua e farina italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you sooooo much dear friend..was really nice meeting all of you here and I hope everything was as like you was expected..In the new menu' now you can find even more choice and variety , feel free to ask anytime and we will love suggest you also the new entry.. once again thank you..

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Took some time to locate this place! My hotel gave me simply the intersection and the cab driver let me out on the street corner...so nice of him, since there was green railings for a block in each direction forcing me to litterally become a street walker in Shanghai!

The restuarant is DOWN AN ESCALATOR near the corner so you have to look down to find it. I used my cell and called the restaurant once I was close and then handed the phone to a local who, after recieving direction, pointed me in the right direction.

Pizza was very good, but I am a sucker for Rocket Salad on my pizza and they have it. I got the tomato mozzarela pizza with rocket salad and it was excellent. Nice break from the food (they don't call it chinese food here).

Certainly worthy of the reviews. Wait staff was great. Restaurant was spotless. I love riding around in Pudong...still can't get over the landscaping there....terrific!

1  Thank pompui

Hi dear Guest, nice to read your review here and my pleasure response to you directly..First of all really thank you for join us and try some of our dishes,Like you say before if you never been here , the first time is better call directly the restaurant and ask the right direction to my local staff and don't put your soul to the taxi driver :)) happy you enjoy the original italian taste of our pizza with rock salad( rucola) and appreciated our service..This is our mission, make all of you happy and in a comfortable place and you with your review are our best goal..thanks again