“Great Museum”

Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
Book In Advance
$53.00*
Half Day Group Tour: Afternoon Shanghai
$76.00*
Shanghai Past and Future: Huangpu River Cruise and Shanghai Museum
$100.00*
and up
Private Shanghai Day Tour Including the Bund Yu Garden Old Town Market and...
Ranked #8 of 1,334 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This elegant museum, opened in 1996, features eleven state-of-the-art galleries housing China’s international-standard exhibits of bronzes, paintings, sculpture, ceramics, jade and Ming and Qing dynasty furniture.
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have to admit, I really like good museums. I wondered why my little recorded description device (must leave your driver's license for deposit) cut out after a couple hours. Its because I spend about twice as long in these places than moxt people. Just so much stuff from the history of how metals were made and the uses. Furniture from different dynasties, calligraphy. Just a great museum. Kids may find it less interesting as most suff is behind glass and there isn't much interactive.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,035)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

A great place to spend several hours marvelling at China's rich history. Several different exhibitions; from pottery and ceramics to currency and calligraphy. There is also a visiting Faberge exhibit there just now which is stunningly beautiful. I took over 100 pics on my visits (not all sections allow photography) and there are also plenty of souvenirs to buy

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Visited the museum during my recent Shanghai visit. Has a vast collection of artifacts relating to Chinese history and culture. Also with museum shop for those who wish to purchase some souvenirs who do not have the time to visit East Nanjing Road, or those who are not comfortable with haggling. It takes some time, though, to enter the museum as there is a security check that nearly rivals that being conducted in airports. It took me nearly an hour of waiting in line to get inside the museum, but I would have to say it's worth it.

1  Thank ML_Visayas
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We went to the museum as a group and I found that it is most boring although the building looks rather impressive from the outside. I would suggest that the area is a great for walking around and enjoying the grounds. The security to get into the museum is ridiculous with long line ups in which every bag has to either go through a security device or be search by the staff. The exhibit is not impressive with a rather small collection.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We enjoyed the Faberge exhibition as it was a rare chance to view these Russian treasures. I enjoyed the porcelain and was astonished at the age and beauty of the ancient wares. Truly a remarkable experience. We found riding all the way to the top floor and circling the floor and choosing what we would see and what we would miss and going down floor by floor a good way to see lots without being worn out. The tea in the cafe was expensive at 50 Yuan but we had been lured in by the ice cream. Fortunately the tea was delicious and served in fine white porcelain and I enjoyed the chance to sit down and rest a while.