“Be careful of TEA PERFORMANCE SCAM”

People's Square (Renmin Guang Chang)
Book In Advance
More Info
$105.00*
and up
Private Tour: Shanghai at Night with Acrobatic...
Ranked #59 of 1,342 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is the place you should be careful.
After exiting the subway we met three very nice people asking us to take their picture. This is just the beginning of a SCAM plan.
After asking you about your country and your plans they will invite you to participate in a Tea Performance ceremony. After crossing the subway passage and walk two blocks you will be at Champ Elissee build, 2nd floor, room 229. A person will prepare and serve many types of tea. In the end you will receive an expensive bill, could be around $300.
The solution to receive the money back: Ask someone in your hotel to write to the police what happened. Then go to the police station near the Champ Elissee building and show the paper.
The police now the SCAM and they know the SCAM Manager.
Ask them for help. There is a good chance they will call the SCAM Manager to give you the money back.

4  Thank BragaA
in 26 reviews
"trees"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

This is a very beautiful place, with beautiful parks and views.
Watch out for young people approaching you saying they need to practice their English or asking you to take pictures to them, they are really friendly and then try to take you to a tea ceremony where the rip you off with high prices!

1  Thank Fmob
Reviewed December 4, 2013

ADVICE offer to take their picture as well with your camera. If they decline WALK
I though I was on top of scams but these people were so smooth I bit hook, line and sinker. First they asked me to take their picture ( with their camera) at Peoples Square. They asked where is was going but said it is closed on Monday (which it was) and suggested I go with them to a Tea Ceremony. I wanted to do that so went with them. It was nearby and in a small mall off of the Bund. We were escorted to a formal room where I was shown the list of tea prices and the room charges. All legit I thought as I had pots tea before. After the ceremony of 5 teas we could buy tea which all 5 of us did. The bill was 4000 rm. When I said I would pay my 1/5 the older (25) of the group suggested since two of his friends were studenst we split 3 ways. I BIT. Then I had to go to an ATM conveniently located a few steps away to cash. The ATM was legit. I was even given a small tea service. I did get about $ 50 USD in tea to drink and to take home but was out $ 150 for the entertainment.

3  Thank Mrbob3338
Reviewed November 19, 2013

After visiting the Shanghai Museum, we went to People's Square before moving to Nanjing Road and the Bund. We found the park to be very clean and safe. We came back several times and used the subway and never had a problem. The people we met and to whom we asked our way several times were very helpful though we did not speak any Chinese. We did a lot of walking on that day and we learnt a lot by just asking, watching and mixing with the locals. However, we were sad to see some very old men and women begging on the streets near People's Square. They were never frightening nor threatening at all. We saw some of them collecting plastic bottles or cans from the dustbins in order to sell them to have a few yuans . We often gave them the 1 yuan or 50 cents coin we had and we were always rewarded with a grateful look or smile.. Our son had a great life lesson on that day.

1  Thank BlueDolphin9