“very bad hotel”

Everbright Exhibition Center Grand Hotel
Ranked #2,461 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed March 27, 2010

the location was good , we went there to attend FIC. the hotel didnt change our sheets for days until we asked them to, they would just fold them back including the towels!
the housekeeping staff couldn't understand english and would bring us things we didnt request for and not come back for the things we asked. they would not wash the glasses or utensils, no toilet paper everyday that at the end of a long day you will come home to an unclean room :( their breakfast would end very early and you would need to wait for the person to cook the eggs and not the other way around. very lousy hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed March 20, 2010

Went to this hotel several times because my business partner has offices close by. Compared to other hotels in China, I generally found their service lacking. Some desk people are nice, but some are rather rude and treat you very expeditiously. Don`t expect to get a non-smoking room either, they are often sold out on these, but gladly take your reservation nonetheless. Breakfast buffet is both expensive and, for many Western menu items, rather oily, but so is the breakfast buffet at most Chinese locations.

Still, I kept going there because of the convenience. My last stay, though, made me rethink that policy. Happens to be, I arrived there at 9PM and, surprise, they had no room for me! Oh, they confirmed the reservation alright with time of arrival after 9PM, and also accepted my credit card number when making the reservation to pay themselves if I did not show up. But they still gave my room away to someone else.

To their discharge, they did book me on the spot to another hotel down the road (H Hotel), a 3.5 star with better service. And they did provide transportation to that place. Still, this is not the type of professionalism you would expect from a 4-star hotel anywhere, especially not when you leave your credit card number to them to "guarantee" your room will be there when you arrive. Since I speak Chinese, I made sure to let these folks know they messed up badly.

I then started my own investigation - turns out, there are more hotels around. One of them is the H Hotel - small rooms, for sure, but comfy, clean, and with a higher level of service. It is a bit further down Caobao Road. It is within 10 minutes walk of restaurants if you don`t want to give their hotel restaurant a chance. And, at 350-400 yuan a night, it is much cheaper than Everbright (550, 850, 950...).

The other alternative I found is the Shenwang hotel (reportedly 4 stars), about 15 minutes on foot from Everbright, along metro line 9. I am giving it a try today. Already gave them a call, non-smoking room waiting for me. Price for my room is 550 yuan, less that what I would have paid at Everbright (750).

So, my recommendation is, forget about the convenience. There are alternatives in that area, and Everbright's service indicates they did not realize this fact. Save some dough by going to the other places.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank skidooman75
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Don't be fooled by other reviews, I stayed here for business purposes in September 2009 and was pretty impressed with the whole place, full stop.

8/10 overall in my opinion.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Great hotel but there was no service for vegetarians inspite of prior intimation.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Stayed in an executive suite, not sure they have a dictionary or experience with other hotels, so this is by their definition a suite, basically a standard room with a work area alcove. Clean, by Chinese standards, which would fail in most other countries, other people's hair on bathroom floor, spots on tables, etc.... at least the sheets seemed clean. Breakfast was basic. Orange drink is not orange juice. Half cups of coffee, I guess cheaper cheaper is the hotel mantra. Check out was the best, no smile, no eye contact, wanted a different credit card to be used compared with what I provided at check-in, big problem to do that because it means swiping the card again.... OMG.... asked for my miles to be credited, they say no, but in the room it says they do, called Mileage Plus and they say yes they do, hotel staff just did not want to be bothered, on departure, not even a thanks.... nice final memory..... There are better places to stay in Mongolia...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2009

We were a group of 5. The rooms were so small that 2 of us changed for something larger. Two of us had bugs running across the floor, on the 23rd floor. Windows did not close properly, and cold air made the bathroom floor ice cold. Lobby and restaurant were freezing (it was January, and it was exceptionally cold outside). Staff was polite and very helpful. Lobby restaurant is very expensive, and the food is not that good.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2009

This Hotel is very convenient for people who attend exhibition at the Everbright Convention Centre, which is just next to the hotel, a 2 min walk.
The rooms are spacious, it has a good buffet spread for breakfast & staff is courteous.
It is also good for a family stay. Trust Mart is a shopping mall, where you can get everything under one roof.
I stay here atleast once a year for 2-3 days.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business