“Avoid the Hotel Staff......”

Everbright Exhibition Center Grand Hotel
Ranked #2,392 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Stayed in an executive suite, not sure they have a dictionary or experience with other hotels, so this is by their definition a suite, basically a standard room with a work area alcove. Clean, by Chinese standards, which would fail in most other countries, other people's hair on bathroom floor, spots on tables, etc.... at least the sheets seemed clean. Breakfast was basic. Orange drink is not orange juice. Half cups of coffee, I guess cheaper cheaper is the hotel mantra. Check out was the best, no smile, no eye contact, wanted a different credit card to be used compared with what I provided at check-in, big problem to do that because it means swiping the card again.... OMG.... asked for my miles to be credited, they say no, but in the room it says they do, called Mileage Plus and they say yes they do, hotel staff just did not want to be bothered, on departure, not even a thanks.... nice final memory..... There are better places to stay in Mongolia...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed February 7, 2009

We were a group of 5. The rooms were so small that 2 of us changed for something larger. Two of us had bugs running across the floor, on the 23rd floor. Windows did not close properly, and cold air made the bathroom floor ice cold. Lobby and restaurant were freezing (it was January, and it was exceptionally cold outside). Staff was polite and very helpful. Lobby restaurant is very expensive, and the food is not that good.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2009

This Hotel is very convenient for people who attend exhibition at the Everbright Convention Centre, which is just next to the hotel, a 2 min walk.
The rooms are spacious, it has a good buffet spread for breakfast & staff is courteous.
It is also good for a family stay. Trust Mart is a shopping mall, where you can get everything under one roof.
I stay here atleast once a year for 2-3 days.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I stayed here when attending a food ingredients show and for that prupose it was ideal. It is cheap but the service could certainly be improved.

I had booked an early check-in because I was arriving at 6 am ex a 12-hour flight from Auckland. When I tried to check-in at about 8 am the desk clerk told me that the room had not yet been cleaned but he gave me the key anyway! As I was about to enter the lift, the duty manager called me back and said 'we will upgrade you to a business suite to say sorry'. So that was fine, I had plenty of space and the room was clean but stank terribly of stale cigarette smoke which was not so good for my asthma. Non-smoking rooms can be hard to find in China, one of the last bastions of smoking in public.

The section on room service was missing from the compendium in my room so I assumed there was none. However, my colleague reported that he had obtained room service but was told that it could not be charged to his room, so he was required to pay cash. I later discovered that this also applies to the restaurants in the hotel - you cannot charge to your room, so need to have extra cash to allow for this.

I think the hotel probably feels that they have no need to improve the service because people will stay there anyway if they are attending conferences at Everbright because it is so convenient. There is no other reason to stay here really, because it is not in a touristy area.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2007

I went to Shangai by October 2005, during 5 d to a international congress. When I arrived to the airport, I was surprised by the modern conditions of it. The airport was at 1h of the town. I had transfers offered by the congress; to arrive to the hotel we cross the city what takes about 45 min. The hotel it is not located at the "high tech" side of shangai (the city as two sides: the modern and the older), but the location is not bad, is near a metro station, ca. 5 min walking fast in a secure street with commercial houses, and banks. The hotel has ca. 30 floors, the outside is similar to the other buldings, with a modern architecture. The inside is very beautiful; the employes are very nice but they don't speak a good understandable english (is better to repeat the setences with them...). We stayed at the 22th floor, the room was big enough, with two bethrooms (22 m2). The breakfast was not good, they don't have good coffee, good bread, the essential. The restaurant is more or less at dinner (they have similar occidental food, but with their taste). I and my colleague hate the food of shangai, the flavour is always the same, we loose two kilos each. To reach the city center (commercial streets) we take ca 15 min by metro, then we done all by foot, specially to the cross to the high tech side, we took ca. 20 min by the nanjin road.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed January 17, 2006

I was looking for a reasonably priced good accomodation for my visiting friends (I was living in Shanghai). Actually after I read reviews of the hotel here in TripAdvisor I decided to book this hotel.
I'm happy with that decision. The room is very nice, very clean, and everything works fine. The location is great too since it's near Xujiahui. It's near a subway station too. If anything, since the hotel is in an exhibition complex, the lobby is always very busy, too busy. But once you get upstairs to your room, it's all quiet. Basically my friends were really happy with the hotel.
THe price was RMB500 per night, booked via ctrip (highly recommended too).

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank walkNshoot
A TripAdvisor Member
Germany
Reviewed December 13, 2005

My rating "above" average is really related to the price. Clean rooms, nice bathroom, all services.
Breakfast is ok. Some western dishes, good coffee. I don´t need more.
I didn´t try the pool because the water seemed to be quite green to me but the small gym was ok.
I tried the restaurant once and decided to make the 10 minute trip with the metro into town next time.
Cao Bao Road metro station is nearby which is quite often the better transport choice because of the traffic in Shanghai.
All in all, I would take it again...for this price (around 650 RMB/night).

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business