“awesomeeeeee”

InterContinental Shanghai Ruijin
Ranked #58 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed October 8, 2011

LOVELY HOTEL. i wouldnt mind throwing my wedding here :)

• Stayed: July 2011
INTERCONTINENTALS, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Ruijin, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write the precious comment.

We are delighted that you had a wonderful and memorable stay at our hotel. We are also pleased to learn that everything we offered to you along your stay has exceed your expectation.

Thank you for your nice comment again, which encourages our staff to consistently do our best for our valuable guests.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Shanghai Ruijin

Reviewed June 9, 2011

We had a wonderful experience at Ruijin, and I would recommend it highly to anyone headed to Shanghai. While the hotel was under construction, the noise never bothered us, the rooms were incredibly spacious, and the grounds were still lovely. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating, going out of their way to make sure our stay was comfortable. The breakfast was unbelievable - so many options, including the best bacon we've ever had anywhere in the world! We were so full every day from the extensive spread that we never needed lunch. Overall, an utter delight.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 6, 2011

Only a one night stay but everything was first class in this delightful garden - located colonial hotel. Our room, while lacking a garden view, was nonetheless comfortable and attractive. Breakfast in the lovely dining room overlooking the garden was delicious and varied. Service excellent and location in the French Concession not to be missed on any visit to marvelous Shanghai. The hotel comprises several separate buildings so some walking is involved - but this just added to our enjoyment. Only minor drawback is that a new building is being built and this spoils a large section of the garden. Otherwise we loved it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 24, 2011

I recently stayed at the Rui Jin and loved the history of this great hotel which takes up a whole city block right in the centre of the old French Concession. I stayed in Block 3 and although there were renovations of another building nearby, I never heard any noise. The rooms were comfortable with lots of little extras that you usually only get in much more expensive hotels. My room had a shower over the bath and a seperate shower. This enabled me to hang laundry over the bath and still have a shower in comfort. There was a complimentary bottle of very good red wine and every night with the turn down service I got 4 home made cookies in a little box and a weather report for the next day. The history of this hotel makes it different to any other. Chiang Kai Shek got married in the room that is now the breakfast room. The extensive grounds are extremely popular for weddings. The location was perfect as you could walk to the area known as Tianzifang which is a maze of little alleys containing art galleries, boutiques and great restaurants. This is the new trendy area for the locals and hopefully will not be remodelled within an inch of its life like other old parts of Shanghai. The hotel was also within walking distance of the great shops along Huaihai Rd. All the taxi drivers know it, and at the end of a tiring day sightseeing it was nice to know there was a whole row of really good restaurants right next to the hotel, if you felt like a change from Chinese food - Moroccan, Japanese, fusion and pizza. The staff are helpful. As I was staying for nine days I asked them if they could get some decaf coffee for me and they did, and all the staff were instructed to serve me my "special coffee" every morning at breakfast. Each morning I would tell the reception staff where I wanted to go and they would write out the destinations in Chinese on post-it notes so I could give them to the taxi drivers. I was somewhat surprised to see a church in the grounds. Make sure you go in and have a look while you are there. If I return to Shanghai I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: You can email the hotel direct and they will reply
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank TravelbugVietnam

Reviewed March 5, 2011

Having stayed here for over 5 years, I knew this lush hotel in the heart of Shanghai wouldn't remain a secret forever.. so the prices have gone up, and the renovations have begun. But it's still a delightful pace to stay. I love this hotel, I have many fond memories.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed December 9, 2010

This is such an interesting hotel and consists of a number of buildings dating back to colonial times. The grounds are attractive and well maintained and the public rooms are very luxurious. The downside is that, because the buildings are so wellspread, it's quite a hike between them although you can arrange for a golf buggy to transport you around.

Our room was large, comfortable and well equipped.

Breakfast was great with an interesting buffet of well presented items, both western and oriental.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 19, 2010

This was our first time at the Ruijin after our favorite Shanghai hotel was rehabbed into a high priced boutique hotel. Having walked past the front gate I always wanted to stay here since the grounds looked so lovely and it seemed so tranquil inside. I say seemed because on each night of the the three nights we were here there were at least five weddings were going on. No complaint with that but one of the halls was just below our room and the wedding teardown, chairs sliding, trays banging was quite annoying late into the evening. Also, although I was promised by the front desk this wouldn't happen, construction outside our window commenced early, 7 am or so. Also, the room windows are frosted to obscure the construction scene. Upon checkout we were promised an upgrade for the next time to make up for the foregoing.
Okay, bad news out of the way. The Ruijin is otherwise a very pleasant and nice place to stay. It reeks with history. You'll eat breakfast in the room where Chang Kai Shek and Madam Soong Meiling were married. And a pretty fine breakfast it is. The room was very comfortable if a bit of a walk from the other buildings. The neighborhood in the French Concession area is quite pleasant with Sycamore tree lined streets, local restaurants, including a great dumpling place just down the street. The location is good, short taxi ride to anywhere except the Pudong airport which isn't near anything anyway.
We would definitely stay there again. And hope for that promised upgrade.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple