I was visiting Shanghai on a group trip, so I did not get to chose this hotel, but I liked it! The lobby is beautiful and spacious (although it doesn't have enough seating). The hotel room was spacious, with a nice bathroom and pretty views of the fancy neighborhood. The room did seem a little dated, but everything was very clean and comfortable, so it was fine!
The breakfast buffet was pretty great. Be forewarned, coffee drinkers, it's hard to flag down a waitress to give you coffee, but otherwise, no complaints.
Grab a copy of the free Shanghai Times English paper on your way into breakfast. There's also CNN and CNBC in your hotel room.
The hotel is in a very fancy neighborhood with high-end shops and malls on Nanjing Road. It's a pleasant (and safe) place to walk around in the evening. You're also close to a very cool Buddhist temple.
- There's no free wi-fi and I was not willing to pay U.S.$20 a day, so I did without. No big deal, I'm on vacation.
- There's a weird box next to the bed to turn on and off the TV and all lights (see photo). It should make it more convenient to turn things on and off from bed, but it led to a light show every night because the buttons never did what they were supposed to do!
- We tried a few of the bars in the hotel and were not impressed. The piano bar had a piano, but no one was playing it on the night we were there, and it seemed a little shabby for such a nice hotel. The Cuba bar was smoky (which makes sense) and very few people were there. The drinks were also pretty pricey, but that's standard for a hotel bar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the 5-star hotel is the mark of modern comfort and convenience, which blends the best of the East and West. It is located in the middle of the business and shopping district on the famous Nanjing Road, adjacent to the Shanghai Exhibition Center, Shanghai Centre, Plaza 66 and famous Wujiang Gourmet Street. Shanghai Airport Terminal, Metro Line 2, Metro 7 and entry to Shanghai’s integrated system of highways are just a short distance away. With so many attractions close by, you will never run out of things to do at the hotel. 514 spacious rooms, international gourmet cuisine by master chefs, an abundance of recreational options, viable conference venues, a pillar-less Grand Ballroom covering 845 sqm and five stylish meeting rooms and ergonomically designed boardrooms, fully equipped fitness centre, two tennis courts and spa …the hotel offers luxurious comfort and meticulous care.The lobby was renovated and now features a magnificent 5-storey, hand-painted lacquer mural of Admiral Zheng-Ho, surrounded by golden-foiled pictures of the morning sun and peaceful waves. This famous artwork provides the lobby with a unique look at Chinese art history. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shanghai JC Mandarin Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shanghai Jc Mandarin Hotel Shanghai
- Mandarin Shanghai
- Shanghai Mandarin