All reviewsnanjing roadpeople's squarehotel lobby isswimming capwalking distancemetro stationchinese stylelarge roomnon smokingmarblegympedestriantaxisdoormanlinestarbucks
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We really enjoyed our stay in the Ramada. Our travel guides booked this hotel for us, and when we arrived we were pleased. The hotel lobby is welcoming and the concierge have maps and advice to hand out.

Cabs were easy to come by from the front of the hotel and we had everything we needed during our stay.

The room was clean, and everything worked well.

If you want a "no worries" stay then book here and relax.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chickndude
Reviewed June 8, 2008

The Ramada was a bit hard to find the first day - but well worth the effort. (warning: I received multiple “map” locations from different sources which showed the WRONG location.) The Ramada is located next to the Royal Méridien, with the rear entrance to the lobby directly on Nanjing Rd (the pedestrian shopping boulevard). The location is exceptional!

The lobby is very impressive with lots of marble and classic design. Shops, café, travel agency, airline office, bakery, business center, etc. in lobby.

The buffet restaurant has an excellent selection of Asian, American and European foods. I really liked both the breakfast and dinner buffets (about 400CNY). There is also a classic Thai restaurant in the hotel. (there’s a Subway restaurant located on the outside of the hotel lobby)

My room was amazing. Large, clean, well equipped - slippers, robes, mini-fridge, coffee, desk, sofa and chair, etc. The bathroom had a separate soaking tub and glass shower area. The room had wireless internet and good signal strength (four bars).

I booked a King Bed Superior Room for 900CNY (about $150USD) through the Ramada.com web site, and then got 10% discount for AARP or AAA. I arrived at the hotel at 9AM and they gave me a free upgrade to a King Bed Suite (1,170CNY)

The Ramada is designed with the rooms around an open atrium, so each floor can see Roof to Lobby. The service and staff were excellent. Minor warning: I woke up to a persistent beeping noise (like someone text messaging on a phone in my room) which turned out to be the in-room safe had "low" batteries. When I contacted hotel service, they knew what was causing the sound and fixed it immediately.

Overall, the Ramada was a great location - the lobby had a rear access to the tourist area and shopping district. The food and rooms and service were excellent. A GREAT value for under $200 (including free Wi-Fi!)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank DNielsen
Reviewed May 7, 2008

We stayed in Ramada Plaza Shanghai for 2 nights. The hotel is
not new since it was a local hotel before it was changed to Ramada Hotel. It is located in Nanjing Road East which is the pedestrian street of Shanghai. Nanjing Road East is were you can find local foods, stuff and products. It is one of the most most visited area in shanghai. The room rate is not bad considering shanghai is one of the most expensive cities in asia. There are other hotels located in different area in shanghai and choosing a hotel will depend on what you like. The french concessioner area is where you can find luxury items. The Pudong area is the business hub of Shanghai. The Nanjing East area is where you will find chinese local products. The size of the rooms in this hotel are bigger than newer hotels in shanghai. Many of the hotel staff knows how to speak english and are always ready to help you on your needs.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank PhilippineTraveler
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I was very dissapointed with this hotel as a couple of things happened. First of all, after a long flight, I wanted to make a phone call to the beauty spa to enquire about the massage services. There were 2 different phone numbers in their phone directory, and both didn't work! I was firstly connected to the dim sum restaurant, and the 2nd number connected me to their housekeeping department. I called the reception to ask them to transfer me to their beauty spa...and it still connected me to the dim sum restaurant!!

After lots of frustration, I went down myself and made appointment for a 45 min shiatsu massage costing RMB 200. The price was written down on the front desk menu very clearly in English. However, in the massage room, after approx 15 mins, I suspected that the massage therapist was not giving me a shiatsu massage. I asked her what massage she was doing....and after a few minutes, I found out that she was giving me a Massage costing RMB 480 and lasting 90 minutes!!! I asked her what the name of the massage was and she answered me "test"....I didnt even understand what she was talking about and I told her I actually wanted SHIATSU, she said she didn't know what that was, and also the hotel DID NOT offer this massage!!! I was so angry, because the Shiatsu massage was clearly written down in the front desk menu!!!

I complained this to a guy who looked like he was a manager of the spa. He merely asked the lady to come out to the front desk and explain...and I could not even understand their chinese accent even when I speak mandarin fluently myself! He later used a very threatening tone and said to me: " YOU SHOULD understand that these girls do not understand what Shiatsu is, and the Thai massage she gave you was similar anyway!" Then I asked: "why did the girl at the front desk tell her to give me 90 mins when I requested for only 45 mins." He replied: "the girls at the front desk do not tell the massage therapist what the customers wants. YOU have to tell the massage lady what you want directly!!!" I was soooo angry at what he said, but I did not want to make a huge scene just in case. I just paid and left. However, I just want to warn everyone that this is the worst service a hotel could ever offer as a 5-star rated hotel.

TERRIBLE!!!!

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank ng2339
Reviewed February 22, 2008

If you want to see much that Shanghai has to offer, then this is the perfect location, close to People's Square. Ignore the hustlers on Nanjing Road and walk off into the side streets and work your way down to the Bund or go across to the Museum. My hotel room was very large and had everything I needed, - free and fast internet access, powerful shower, comfortable bed. Great views over the city too (especially as it was covered in snow). Negatives: the hotel lobby is soulless and I found the front desk staff a bit cold.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business