“Serenity and sofistication”

Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai
Ranked #29 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed December 7, 2013

It is my fourth time staying in this gracious hotel, which combines perfectly impeccable traditional chinese hospitality and style ,while modern in its facilities. Entering the hotel with its characteristic scent is like an oasis.The Staff is very courteous and attentive,the facilities more than adequate ,at a central location and a stunning view of the Bund.The rooms with the river view are great ,comfortable and of reasonable size.The Horizon club could be better equipped though and offer better food experience for its class,while the Spa ,being in the Grand Tower building is somewhat inconvenient if staying in the West wing.I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Could fit dimmer in the main light ,while the windows should be cleaned better in order not to inter...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Costas H

Thank you for continue to choose the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you visits to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor . I am delighted you had a wonderful experience with us from the moment you entered our doors experiencing the "Essence of Shangri-La" to the services and facilities. We do have a very regular schedule for our window cleaning, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused on this occasion. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Peter Clarke,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,318)

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stay here for 2 nights, for a business meeting.
Old building was full, then I was moved to the new building with the same price of old building.
Turn down service was in time, nice attitude of the waiter.
So many kinds of food in the buffet canteen, but the standards were not in the same level.

Room Tip: New building has the bigger space and better shampoo and body wash, of course, more expensive. Wanna...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ren Yi Z,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor . I and delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular our Club Floor and Services in our Grand Tower, our most exclusive wing in the hotel. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and the Grand Tower in the very near future.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Great business hotel with nice conference room facilities.

The club floor has beautiful view of the river, Shanghai’s pudong high rises and oriental tv tower on different sides of the building.
Rooms are modern, functional and luxurious with floor to ceiling windows to take in the view; smog permitting.

Service by the hotel staff is impeccable and the club concierge service is the best I have experienced anywhere arranging for air and train tickets as well as local recommendations for dinner and entertainment.

Room Tip: If you can go for the club floor, the drinks and service by the concierge make it worth the price.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Alexj44,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor . I and delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular our Club Floor and Services. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel has two towers one of which has views over the river and the bund. The rooms are all of a good size and well maintained. But for me it just seemed impersonal and forgettable. There are lots of hotels like this that are good but forgettable so by all means stay here it has everything you want except an X factor

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear PJRHolbrook

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. As a top Contributor I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that we failed to deliver the X factor during this visit. Shangri-La Pudong has gained its reputation through positive word of mouth, for that reason alone so I am sorry we did not deliver the "Wow" factor on this stay. I do hope we have another opportunity in the future to do so. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pudong Shangri-La in the not to distant future I hope.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Very good hotel. I enjoyed my stay.

Location: Fine with me.

--Check in: I arrived later in the evening, but the clerk was great, spoke great English and got me to my room pretty quickly

----Lobby: Gorgeous but not enough seating area.

---Elevators: great and fast

---Room: Just fine. I like it very much

Desk: Plenty of workspace and outlets for computer and gadgets.

Bathroom: Great. Clean and spacious enough for me. HUGE SHOWERHEAD WAS AWESOME!!!

Food: Had dinner and breakfast there. Both were ok. Nothing to write home about, but eggs benedict was actually pretty good.

Room Service: Took over an hour to receive my breakfast. I was not pleased. They told me 25 minutes and it took forever. They did call to apologize for the delay.

HVAC: Air conditioining worked like a charm. Perfect. Room cooled off quickly

TV: Nice big flat screen

Housekeeping: Great

Technology: No problems at all with wifi. Seamless and easy. WiFi worked very well.

Bed: extremely comfortable and well appointed

Spa: Had a 1 hour massage. Very, very good

Amenities: All there. Soap Shampoo. Nothing out of the ordinary

Cost: bit expensive

Business Traveler:. Perfect for a biz person.

Final thoughts: I appreciated the service. I appreciated the very kind people who held the doors every time I left and returned.

Room Tip: ask for it

Dear DRJMR2000_8

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you enjoyed our hotel,and your detailed review was excellent feedback for us. I am sorry for the massive delay in Room Service, this is obviously well out of our usual standard, hence the reason we quote a time, so we can deliver within the expected period. I have addressed this directly with the Food and Beverage team to ensure we live up to the expectation set.I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Pudong Shangri-La in the not to distant future I hope.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Overall the service, food and facilities were all good, but the concierge throw away my two gift boxes of hairy crab without contacting me, those hairy crabs were well protected with right temperature stabled boxes, with iced water bottles and wet hay in it, most of all, they were expected by my client, a big disappointment and shock in the end!

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank D K

Dear D K,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor . I am very sorry about the incident regarding throwing out the crabs, unfortunately our staff made a poor decision, despite the fact they were extremely 'fragrant" and perhaps should have been stored in a cold storage from the start, he should have checked before doing so, please accept my apologies. One of my management team will be in contact with you to arrange replacing them for you today. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Many thanks for the lovely stay at the Shangri La in Pudong Shanghai. Staff were fabulous from the moment we walked through the door. Service was above and beyond. We had a lovely room with a view of the river and the bund - my gosh - what a busy thoroughfare the river is. Room was of good size, bathroom was good (not as good as Beijings) but the staff made up for any shortcomings. The executive lounge was run beautifully with the most bountiful offerings I have ever seen in a lounge before - so much so that many of the 'gentlemen' staying were making a night of it. the concierge staff were great and very helpful with directions and restaurant recommendations - all in all a very pleasant stay. The gym was also in very good repair with good equipment so it made it very easy to have a solid workout each day.

Room Tip: ask for a river view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Maree M,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. As a senior contributor I am thrilled with your review of us. I am so happy you had time to enjoy the extensive Club Lounge offerings and the overall service. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pudong Shangri-La in the not to distant future I hope.