“very old fashion little rooms”

Park Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #160 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Its past glory here , alltough they think its still 1938 , a lot of money for the name !
There is one seatt in the lounge , take another one and you are required to have a drink , or leave . A very strange policy !

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
parkhotel170, Public Relations Manager at Park Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Thank you for choosing Park Hotel and your comment! Because this area is coffee bar in the lobby. Please understand that. And we look forward to having an opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I was here for 2 nights. It's a really nice hotel dating back to the 1930s, full of character and well maintained. The staff were helpful, but not overly helpful, which could be improved for such a nice and well situated hotel. The room was a great size, with a king-size bed, good bathroom, and 2 sofas. Also, a nice view of the busy city below, but not too noisy - ask for a room on 6th floor and up. Breakfast was fine, but not brilliant. Best thing is the location. Right in the centre of the city and bang opposite the civilized people's park - a fantastic place for a walk and the location of a really good Moroccan restaurant with a fun bar. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Steeet facing but 6th floor and up.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Joel019

Thank you for choosing Park Hotel and your comment! We look forward to having an opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed May 25, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
parkhotel170, Public Relations Manager at Park Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Reviewed May 15, 2012

This hotel has an excellent location, and rooms are good, but the staff need some coaching. From the Bell boys, to the check in staff, and the breakfast hostess, you felt you were an imposition to them. Breakfast was enjoyable, so long as you didnt need to interact with the staff Our room had a great view down Nanjing Road, but was a bit noisy.Doubt if we will return.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Park Hotel and your comment! We are sorry to bring you unpleasant experience during your stay in our hotel. We will continue improving service quality. We look forward to having an opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Stayed at the Park Hotel a couple times as that is where my work puts me up in Shanghai- and most of what the people are saying in the other reviews are spot on. The location is great, easy to get anywhere and right in between Nanjing east and west. However- it is very loud in the rooms bc the surrounding area is so hectic. The first time I stayed the giant jumbotron on the building next door was blaring into my room. I don't mind the loud noise since I live in NYC I am used to it, however, if you are not OK with noise at nite and in the morning I would not suggest this hotel.

The rooms were fine- the first room I was in was very big and spacious, however there is no wireless internet in the hotel which I don't like. The rooms are a bit outdated but I think it goes with the grandeur of the hotel- No complaints on the rooms.

BIG complaint on the hotel staff. First off, they couldn't even provide me with an English map of Shanghai- and obviously if you are not Chinese getting around can be difficult and the front desk was extremely unhelpful in giving me guidance on where to shop- I basically had to figure it all out on my own. The staff never smiles, they are very rude. English is OK- seen better in China, seen worse. They really have awful customer service at the hotel and I hope that the Manager actually means it when he responds to the trip advisor reviews and takes this into consideration.

The gym was awful- don't even bother going. Was dark, hot and stuff and only a few really old treadmills and a bike. Oh and the lobby bar had the worst wine I have ever tasted- couldn't even drink it.

Breakfast was good- I found it to have a good selection.

I don't know what other hotels in Shanghai cost but the price of the hotel seems reasonable to me. The location really is amazing but there are quite a few cons for the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank lea5834
parkhotel170, Public Relations Manager at Park Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I would not go again in this hotel. Room are smailly and dirty, breakfast better to forget. The only positive point is the situation (close to people square) and the price (arround 500 RMB). I would never recommend this place to anybody. Even if price is not too high, it is too high for this service.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Alx7

Thank you for choosing Park Hotel and your comment! We are sorry to bring you unpleasant experience during your stay in our hotel. We will continue strengthening room cleaning and improving service quality. We look forward to having an opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed March 24, 2012

I stayed there for a week in a room on the 13th floor.The rooms there are more spacious with lovely views of Nanjing street.Taxi's are always in front of the hotel.Raddisons, World Emporium and the theather is next door Nanjing shopping street is across the street .Everything's nearby including McD and a famous bread shop.It was pre-booked before we left our country.You can't book hotels in Shanghai from travel agents there so pls take note.

The hotel is called Kua Ci Fan^ Thian in Mandrin everybody who lives in Shanghai know's this hotel esp the taxi drivers.Even Queen Elizabeth once stayed here.There's also a mini museum about the hotel heritage on the first floor if you want to know more about old Shanghai.

The bad part is the pimps outside.I caught one of them offering something to my husband as I walked up beside him and asked him what it was they backed off.It was unsettling none the least.Getting caught with a prostitute will get you a chop mark on your passport so pls beware not to engage in this behaviour.Plus you might be missing cash or a liver when you wake up for all you know.

All in all I loved shanghai but like the other reviewers the pimps outside gotta go.They make the historic place look like a red light district hotel.It's embarrassing to stay there when you think of it.I could have stayed at Raddisons for a bit more.If it wasn't for the historical background I would have coz of those pimps.

Picks of the hotel can be seen here on my FB page
[--]

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
parkhotel170, Public Relations Manager at Park Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Thank you for choosing Park Hotel and your comment! We are sorry to bring you unpleasant experience during your stay in our hotel. We will report to the security department to solve this problem with joint effort. We also strengthen the management of the hotel entrance area. We look forward to having an opportunity to serve you again!