This hotel is our home for three days at the end of a Wendy Wu Magnificent China holiday. Our group was collectively looking forward to a centrally located and better standard facility where we hoped to enjoy easy access in our free time to this chaotic and exciting city.
First impressions of the precinct have you wondering if you are in a commercial district rather than one catering for tourists. The streetscape is characterised by an elevated freeway, with most of the adjacent buildings looking like offices.
Once again our Wendy Wu tour guide was instrumental in facilitating our check-in procedure which smoothed over what appeared to be a lack of english language understanding by the check in person. Unfortunately the front desk was staffed by a solitary person who had the hapless task of processing all passports, issuing keys, and dealing with other walk up enquiries.
We self conducted our luggage to the room. The decor features papered walls , dark timber furnishings, flat screen TV (don't expect much in the way of Entertainment in English), and the usual standard of hotel room lighting that is better suited to people equipped with kryptonite powered bionic eyes. The bathroom was clean, the twin beds had good quality linen, a choice of pillows, and marginally softer mattresses when compared to our stays in Xian, Chengdu, and Guillin.
The room has a minibar, iron and ironing board, tea making, and a wired Internet connection work station. There is a room safe which is not secured to any fixture.
So....why is there a need for earplugs? This hotel, like so many we have experienced on this trip, offers air conditioning which does not function. All of the 16 travelling companions in our party complained of the same problem. Management did not rectify our request to have air conditioning turned on. Our remedy was to open the double glazed windows to get relief. However, even at 19 floors up the incessant sound of traffic is withering, but preferable to the stifling heat.
The hotel offers WiFi access at a cost of 60 RMB per 24 hour cycle. Although expensive, I would have been prepared to subscribe, until I was told that WiFi reception was only available in the lobby. We later discovered that there is a Starbucks outlet nearby with a WiFi hotspot.
We ventured into the lobby bar to acquire a liquid sedative, before retiring for the night. Mine was a scotch on the rocks. Hers was ordered as a "Bombay Sapphire" and Tonic, which was served up as what appeared to be a glass of water! Yes, the drink supplied was a G&T but our optimism would have been better met if some lemon, a straw, ice and fresh tonic were part of the experience.
In the days ahead we will explore Nanjin road in our quest to find an air conditioned hotel lobby, and a cosmopolitan establishment that knows what chilled Sauvigion Blanc is. It should be fun!
In a nutshell, if only the air conditioning worked, everything else is your typical mid range Chinese surprise packet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Rendezvous Merry Hotel Shanghai, we are delighted to announce that we will soon be renamed Rendezvous Hotel Shanghai Merry.Whether you are travelling for business or leisure, you will appreciate the convenience of having many of the city’s major attractions and offices at your doorstep. Conveniently located along Yan An West Road in Shanghai’s Puxi district, you can walk to Nanjing Road in five minutes, and popular sites like the Bund, Xintiandi, Yuyuan Garden and People’s Square are just a short drive from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Merry Hotel Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rendezvous Merry Shanghai
- Shanghai Rendezvous Merry Hotel