“Pleasant stay at RendezVous Merry Shanghai”

Merry Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #210 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed in the Rendezvous Merry Hotel in Shanghai for 10 days in January 2012. The stay itself was OK but nothing special.
However, the day I left the cleaning staff stole several hundred dollars out the safe in my room. Hotel management assured me they would do everything to solve the issue. But as soon as I had left the hotel they started to ignore me completely. Several attempts to contact them regarding the issue were unsuccessful.
I find it extremely surprising how poorly an international business hotel chain handles an issue like this. Hotel staff stealing money from a customer and management ignoring the issue is not the best reputation for a hotel that prides itself with "professional and exceptional level of service".

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Joe0703
Christie Y, Public Relations Manager at Merry Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Rendezvous Merry Hotel Shanghai. We apologised for the for the inconvenience and a full investigation into your incident was conducted as soon as it happened and please be assured that there was no act of dishonesty involved. That said, it is certainly disappointing to learn that we have failed in providing a less than satisfactory experience while you were with us. Hence, please contact me at prm@rend.com.cn in order for me to personally extend my sincere apologies and to address the issues you have raised.

Looking forward to your reply.

Christie
Ireland
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Rooms were lovely and in my case i had a fab view of the shanghai skyline.
Breakfast was excellent. The hotel is ony a five minute walk away from the metro line.

Only real complaint is the drink in the bar is very expensive....€5.78 for a 330 ml can!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Smilero
Bernard S, Public Relations Manager at Merry Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for choosing our hotel and share your experience review here. I am the newly appointed Public Relation Manager of the Hotel and we apologies for the late response to your review. We will try to response to all review as soon as possible in future.
Shanghai Merry Hotel has long-term adherence to provide meticulous attentive service for every guests, so as to provide a pleasant environment for all our Rendezvous guest. Your review was taken into consideration, and we have begin to implement a policy of accommodation guests consumer promotions. Hope you can visit Rendezvous Shanghai Merry Hotel again in future. Thank you!!!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2011

The Merry Rendezvous is located in a convenient location in Shanghai - close enough to subways to commute to places like the Bund, and close enough to take a cab to the famed XinTianDi. The gem of the hotel is the restaurant on I believe the fifth floor (same level as the spa, but it escapes my mind now). The food is excellent, the portions are quite large and the price is more than fair! My only regret was that I couldn't take the leftovers!

The front staff is very nice and the bell boys in the front are very polite and quick at hailing cabs, and helping you get to your destination. One piece of advice is to bring a fair amount of cash, or have a bank card that you can use in China handy. The front desk collects a security deposit, which could amount to quite a staggering amount of cash being held at the front desk until you depart. (The one point that irked me because I ended up with all this RMB on my last day, with no where to spend it - except at the airport!)

The breakfast that is included with most stays is excellent. The food is hot, the cooks serve you freshly made congee and noodles, and the service is quite prompt. For those of you who speak English, I found that speaking English ensured me much faster service than some of the other guests at the hotel if they were speaking Chinese. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not, but either way, the staff is quite polite.

The rooms are excellent. The beds are comfortable, the TV new, and the amenities that they provide are much appreciated. The complimentary bottles of water are great for travelers who have just arrived, as it is generally not recommended for travelers outside of Asia to drink the tap water directly.

The bathroom is also quite new - great shower pressure - it seems strange, but Asia does not appear to have this same "water limit restriction" as some of the hotels in North America. A pleasant surprise indeed, considering some hotels only give you enough water and water pressure to get you wet, and then you're on your own.

The spa is really quite nice as well, but be forewarned that before most spa treatments, they require that you take a bath, and they will charge you for the bath. (I myself did not attempt to tell them that I had taken a bath upstairs, but you can try!)

Overall, an excellent trip. I will definitely return to this establishment on future stays. A wonderful hotel that is highly, highly, recommended!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Bernard S, Public Relations Manager at Merry Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Your recognition has given us a very powerful driving force and we will continuously make unremitting efforts and enhanced improvement to our service in future.
Hope you can visit Rendezvous Shanghai Merry Hotel again in future. Thank you!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2011

The airconditioning is centrally controlled, so we were told, and you can not adjust your airconditioning in the room indiviually. Our room was 28 degrees and very hot. We were lied to at first when they said they would send a service man to fix the control, as no one turn up. and they said that it was badluck as air conditioning is centrally controlled and same throughout hotel. We were told to open the window if I wanted to cool the room. The angle of the small openning in the window doesn't allow for much airflow, and it is very noisy with the window open plus the smog and smells.It was very uncomfortable and we were brushed off until it was time for us to go. Thankfully we had only paid for three nights and couldn't wait to leave. There was other people complaining about the air conditioning also, and they were also brushed off. It's ashame that a potentially nice hotel can treat there guests so poorly.

Room Tip: Until they fix their air conditioning and improve their customer service, I would stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gena5

Travelers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

Sydney
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Stayed 3 nights in this hotel as part of my tour of China. So it wasnt my choice. Overall I was happy with the hotel. i was on the 21st floor, non smoking.

Hotel reception - upon arrival we thought the check in process was a little slow, compare to other cities in China we've just visited. (Shanghai was our last stop in a 2 weeks tour). Anyway its the tour guide's job so we werent too bothered. Found out there's no free wifi so i was a bit disappointed. The rate is 1 yuan per minute which seem excessive to me. so i didnt use it and dont know its speed.
Check out was quick n easy and took 1 min.

Concierge - asked about internet on my first day. person was very helpful in explaining the prices and location of business centre. even though in the end i didn't use the service cos i decided it was expensive. on my last day i had to leave a letter for my tour guide, person (a different person to above) at concierge was very polite & helpful, speak fluent English. Few hours later, again i needed concierge to call a taxi and (yet another person) this guy was also very nice & friendly. Smiling the whole time & lifted my heavy suitcase into taxi and made sure driver knows where we are going, and told me the approx price & time it takes.

Hotel room - the room itself was fabulous, luxurious! the most luxurious in our 2 weeks trip. huge bed, tv with 50+ channels, bathrobe, separate clothing rack next to bed, separate work station, scale to weigh our bursting luggage, hairdryer, kettle, coffee & tea, even an umbrella! and the bathroom had separate shower and bath tub. loved it!!

some ppl in our group complained the room is super warm, and when tried to changed the aircond's electronic panel on the wall, it doesnt work.. i thought the temperature was ok for me though. Loved the view of the Yang'An Elevated Highway down below, very pretty at night with the lightts. You cant hear a thing with the double glazed window shut. so don't worry, no noise at all. The bed here is softer than the ones i had in Beijing & xian. So those who like soft beds would like it here.

Breakfast - breakfast was fantastic, with huge selection of Chinese style food eg steam buns, porridge, fried noodles, deep fried things like prawn toast or spring rolls (more like dinner than breakfast?!) western style food eg all the usual sausage & eggs, toast, fresh fruit, yogurt etc. They even had a Japanese selection, eg soup, rice. coffee & tea is like apple juice/orange juice, its help yourself, so the person complaining about requesting the waiter and getting funny look is... hmmm.

Location - this could be the only downfall for me. It was at least 10-15 min walk to the nearest subway station 'Jing'An', it was quite dark at night. day time was ok though. from there, its 2 stops to Renmin Square (for shanghai museum or planning exhibition centre); 3 stops to Nanjing Road (major pedestrian only shopping street and the Bund-riverside walk); 4 stops if you want to cross the river to Luijiazui (to go to Pearl tv tower or Jinmao or swfc shanghai world financial center, which is the tallest building in shanghai, observation deck on 94th floor spectacular view of city) no need to change line, so its still relatively straightforward, and only cost 3 yuan each single ticket. we manged without our tour guide and went there ourselves in our free time.

Otherwise taxi would only be 15-20 min and would only cost 30 yuan or so, which is so cheap if you're sharing with a few ppl.

Supermarket - from the hotel, about 5min walk away is a GIANT TESCO!!! Loved it!! everything you ever need is there, and super cheap!!! so if you dont want to eat at touristy places and or buy touristy souvenirs, and need some supplies (eg shampoo, pocket tissue, wet wipes, cup noodle, candy, cheap t shirt), this is perfect. also a Aijisen Ramen (chain store all over China) is at groundlevel same building, so cheap for a bowl of Japanese style noodle soup. menu has pictures although waiters dont speak English you can just point.

ATM - if you need ATM, it is right next to hotel, 30sec outside the door of the hotel!! super convenient.

Summary - i was very pleased with this hotel. and would recommend it to anyone who isnt bothered by catching the train for a few stations to reach the major tourist attractions.

Room Tip: room facing the highway is ok with window shut, not noisy at all.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jetsetqueen54321
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I was looking forward to the Rendezvous Merry for the final few nights of a two week tour of China, with a party of 40 young Australian students and 10 teachers. The Rendezvous is Australian owned - so I thought we'd all feel at home! But we didn't particularly. The hotel was pretty unhelpful in managing the group (one wonders why they agreed to our booking if we were so awkward for them!) - eg; being quite slow and difficult in managing the room keys and charging $AU10 to photo copy the room locations for the staff! I would have thought that the adults of the party knowing where the kids in the party were, was in their interests? Apparently not.

Rooms are good, but as others have commented below, many have double doors so as to be able to interconnect, and thus your room can be quite noisy if your neighbours are talking loudly. Smoke can also filter through the doors. (yep - one of those hotels with non smoking floor policy which is not enforced). Wifi is expensive, business centre was shut down, breakfast is OK but laid out in a strange way!! First day very indifferent staff on duty who seemed to feel my request for coffee was awkward, the second day much better.

Consistent customer service could make all the difference at this hotel. On checkout there were five (yes 5) receptionists staring at the computer screen for ages to sign off the remaining 10 rooms we had used on our last afternoon. Huh??
There are better options and we'll be taking them next time we travel. A pity, as I would like to support the company and have happily stayed in their hotels elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business