“Comfortable Experience with the Staff and Hotel”

New World Shanghai Hotel
Ranked #16 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Lubbock, Texas
“Comfortable Experience with the Staff and Hotel”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Frequently stayed at this hotel throughout my business trip to China. The staff was very helpful and easy to communicate with in English. I was very impressed with receptionist staff, especially Anna An, for her attentive communication and warm welcoming service. In addition to the friendly environment, the rooms were spacious and comfy. I would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the Zhong Shan Park are much quieter and the scenery is amazing!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Khalid P
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Khalid P,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback and positive comments about our hotel, especially as a frequent guest of our hotel.

Thank you for the nice comments about our newly renovated hotel and friendly service. I also appreciate your positive remarks about Anna An which will most certainly be shared with her and will act as encouragement for her and other colleagues to continue delighting our guests. We now look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon

I thank you again for your positive comments and Tripadvisor contribution!

Marcel van Mierlo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on a stopover between two flights. The hotel is located in the lively shopping area Zhongshan Park and is just facing the park. It has access to the subway just right the corner and very convenient access towards the Hongqiao Airport and the western side of Shanghai. So its location ideal for the business traveller who is coming or leaving by air or rail from/to Hongqiao airport and railway station. Also by car, it has very convenient access to Hongqiao hub and the western districts or to move around in the industrial parks towards Suzhou.
The building is not new, but is very well kept. Public areas are shining clean, with a simple and pleasant interior décor. My standard queen bedroom was nice, with a pleasant decor, clean, with a comfortable bed and provided with all the necessary amenities, ironing board and umbrella included. The room has a good sound insulation and is very quiet. I enjoyed a very good sleep. Breakfast buffet is very spacious able to accommodate many guests, with a wide selection the western and Chinese style food. Service is kind and attentive. Also at the main reception, check in ad check out procedure were fast and with smiles. I have the impression that this is a place appreciated by business travelers and has a regular customer basis, with many Japanese businessmen. My experience was very short and limited to a night sleep and breakfast. It was a pleasant stay. Could not use other facilities of the hotel or take a morning stroll on the opposite park.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north (Changning road) have a view towards Zhonshan Park
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Marco M
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear Da-and-Datte,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback and positive comments about our hotel.

Thank you for the nice comments about our newly renovated hotel and convenient location, a comment that we hear all the time from our guests! They appreciate being right next door to three major metro lines and conveniently located between Shanghai's two airports and close to all major railway stations. We also get lots of positive comments about the area where the hotel is located, with plenty of restaurants and shops and you are right, we do have many Corporate Business Travelers as our guests.

I also appreciate your kind words about our friendly service and will most certainly share your comments with the team here. We now look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon

I thank you again for your positive comments and Tripadvisor contribution!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Service and food is good! This is a old hotel but still worth to stay! The location is cool, subway is just under the building, Zhongshan park is in front of the hotel! !!!!!!! It is too much requirement, i can't put 200 words!!!!! How come you ask me to write that much!!!!!

MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We very much appreciate your feedback and positive remarks about our location and nice comments about our newly renovated Hotel.

We now look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon and I thank you again for your positive comments and Tripadvisor contribution!

New Delhi, India
Reviewed April 3, 2014

It's a competent business hotel. Compared to the Renaissance ( next door) - it's charges were lower, while service was comparable.
The room was a bit smaller- but reasonably big. Had a good view of Zhongshan park.
Buffet breakfast was quite good and spa/fitness facilities were good- though it was not possible to use the pool due to the cold weather ( it's outdoors)
Other dining options were good including the cantonese cuisine restaurant. And room service was quite good.
Would stay again - if travelling on business.

Room Tip: The ones facing the park, and the higher floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Vikrant,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback and positive remarks about our hotel. Especially coming from a seasoned traveler as yourself we hope your comments will inspire other guests to come try us out also.

I appreciate your nice comments about our newly renovated hotel and facilities and Value for Money proposition. Your kind comment about the Food and Beverage outlets have been shared with the F&B team to act as encouragement for them to continue delighting our guests. I am also happy to inform you that our outdoor pool will be opening again soon.

Hong Kong
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed in the New World Shanghai Hotel for 2 nights in March. The location is very convenient. Walking along Dingxi Road, there are lots of restaurants, convenient shops and places for shopping. It is located just next to a metro station. Unfortunately, I haven't got a chance to experience the metro service in Shanghai.
My room has a good view to Changning Road and the park.
The price (~RMB5xx without breakfast) is reasonable compared with other hotels at such a convenient location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear JohnsonHongKong,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review!

We appreciate your observation about our convenient location right across the famous Zhongshan Park and on top of the metro station with three popular metro lines serving it and in between both Shanghai airports. Thank you also about your comment about our value for money product, something that is echoed by many of our guests.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2014

this is my first time to new world shanghai hotel. I got a nice trip here.good location, good service! the hotel has nice lobby, and warmly and friendly staff, always smile. I paid rmb300 for upgrade to R club room then I can go 38 the lounge to have my nice breakfast! I have a new friend,named caroline who works in R club lounge. she is a nice girl, and friendly. she helps me lot, such as the informations and the best service for the breakfast. I'd like to advice all of your choose the R club room, you may also use the R club meeting room 2hours for free per night, its quite good for business. overall a nice hotel. I like it! my best choice for this trip

Room Tip: R club room with park view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Ivy N,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback positive remarks about our hotel and hope your comments will inspire other guests to come try us out also.

I appreciate your nice comments about our newly renovated Residence Club Rooms and Residence Club Living Room on the 38th Floor. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel and facilities and thank you for your nice comments about our Associates and facilities.

Thank you also for the kind remarks about Caroline. I am sure your observations will act as encouragement for her and Residence Club team of Associates to continue to delight our guests. We appreciate your observation about our convenient location right across the famous Zhongshan Park and on top of the metro station with three popular metro lines serving it and in between both Shanghai airports.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My stay in New World Hotel was very comfortable. The staff are friendly and always have time for you. Exceptionally well performing is the team leader (Anna). Hope the English language level for all staff can be lifted to her standard. I have face some lack of communication skills especially in the restaurant, room service and gym facilities.

Overall a a good hotel 8.5 out of 10. :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Roman839,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback and comments about our newly renovated hotel. We hope your comments will inspire other guests to come try us out also and we look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon.

Thank you also for the nice comments about our helpful staff and especially your kind remarks about Anna which I am sure will act as encouragement for her and our other associates to continue to delight our guests. Your comments about the English language levels have been noted and I am happy to inform you that the hotel has employed a part-time English Teacher to help improve the language skills of our associates.

I thank you again for your positive comments!