“No problem here”

New World Shanghai Hotel
Ranked #6 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Very comfortable. Nice staff. Decent location though it's a cab ride (about $6) to the Bund. Upscale rooms & lobby. Nice bar & enjoyable tea services. Very good breakfast with both Western and Eastern choices. Excellent dinner buffet too. Only "complaint" is some of the concierge guys had problems answering some easy local questions. I would certainly stay here again. Excellent dumpling restaurant across the street.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear mitchmurr,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback and constructive remarks about our newly renovated hotel.

As you know we get lots of positive comments about our location which is extremely convenient reaching both airports and with three major metro lines right beneath the hotel. Also the abundance of taxis is very helpful as you know. Thank you also for your positive comments about our quality of food and F&B facilities. Your remark about our concierge team has been noted and will most definitely be looked into for improvement.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I found it really handy that this hotel is situated, essentially, on top of the Zhongshan Park metro station. It made getting to and from the airport, and to various other places, quite easy. I was welcomed by the very friendly and attentive Ryoka, who ended up being very helpful throughout my trip. She gave me tips on the best places to eat and showed me some interesting tours and places to visit, which was greatly appreciated.
The hotel itself was very pleasant, quite classy - good swimming pool (though it can get a bit crowded). I had a nice view of the city, and my room was simple but nice. The beds are really comfortable too! Only thing is, you have to pay for wifi, which is annoying. Also, after I paid, I found that my room was a little too far outside of the wifi range, meaning that I had extremely poor reception. Definitely not worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Dear M C,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback positive remarks about our hotel and hope your comments will inspire other guests to come try us out also.

Thank you for the nice comments about our convenient location right across the famous Zhongshan Park and on top of the metro station with three popular metro lines serving it.

Thank you also for your positive remarks about Ryoka which will most certainly be shared with her and will act as encouragement for her and other colleagues to continue delighting our guests.

Your comments about WiFi have been noted and I am happy to report that we are currently in the process of reviewing the internet quality and charging. We now look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon

Reviewed September 18, 2013

What happens when you have a mix of great hands on management and happy staff who are well trained and willing to please? Well you get the New world Shanghai Hotel of course!!!!
We stayed here for 3 nights on our discovery of China tour of 3 weeks, and 6 hotels, in the 4 and 5 star category, and this had overall the best trained staff we had seen in China.
When we were greeted with a smile and served by the professional waitstaff at the Breakfast buffet on day one, I knew that New World was special. While expectedly not all the staff had great English, they responded with a smile and called a waitstaff who did and served you what you wanted instantly. If a piece of cutlery dared fall off your table, it would be replaced almost the instant it tinkled on the floor! I then looked for the man who would be responsible for this training and I met up with Jeff, the morning manager of the Nong Cafe, who could not be seen still for a moment, or in the classical hands behind his back position. He flitted between tables, straightening a fork here, examining a knife there if it was gleaming enough, chatting with regulars, seeing that the waiters stations were clean. The breakfast spread was extensive, with freshly prepared breakfast rolls coming off the oven in the restaurant, and a variety of western, Chinese, Korean and Japanese choices to be had from display kitchens within the restaurant as well.
We also tried the dinner buffet which was superlative in the choices to be had. Alaskan crab legs were a hit along with prawns grilled to order by an ever present army of chefs. The manager of the evening , Thomas was so gracious, that it was inevitable that I then met the Food and Beverage Director, the man responsible for this happy well oiled team, Mr Nantha Kumar..Thank you Nantha, you gave us one of the best dining experiences in China. The kids too remember you fondly for spoiling them with chocolates! The drop you shared with us was stellar indeed!

The reception staff made check in and out a breeze, and the dedicated greeting staff at the lobby lifts (not security) was a nice touch.
Housekeeping was completely on the ball with a well made up room. One morning, I walked down to the lobby only to realize that I had forgotten something in the room. I went back and the door was open with housekeeping inside. I walked in confidently and smiled at the HK staff there. She stopped me in my tracks and did not allow me to touch a thing in my room until I produced a magnetic swipe card, inserted it in the door, got a green light, and then she relaxed! Good security indeed!

A small suggestion. Please do provide free wifi, at least in the lobby, as so many travelers nowadays do consider this feature as a deal breaker when choosing a hotel..An exponential increase in room sales would result I am sure.

No doubt , had we lingered in the hotel longer, we would have met the General manager, Marcellus, but Shanghai and its delights beckoned. But Mr Marcellus,, you have my compliments for running a great show at the New World in Shanghai!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Gus116,

Thank you for your raving Tripadvisor review! I truly appreciate your very positive feedback and remarks about our hotel.

Your observations about Jeff have been noted and I am extremely happy that you have taken note of his excellent training and restaurant management skills. Your comments will most certainly be shared with him and will definitely act as encouragement for him to continue to provide outstanding customer service. I also appreciate that you have taken note of Nantha Kumar who is indeed the person in charge of all our restaurants and bars, again somebody with great passion and incredible dedication.

The comments you have made about the food quality, reception and lobby service but in particular the security aspect of your encounter with one of our Housekeeping staff will definitely be shared with all. Your comment about the chargeability of internet is currently being looked into and is noted as a very valid observation indeed.

Thank you again for your very constructive comments and we now look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon

I thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I really struggled to come up with the 'very good' overall rating for this hotel. My 4 night stay started off poorly but got better as the days progressed. Arriving at the hotel in the rain, the doorman stood there and watched as I struggled with my bags trying open the door by myself. Then in the fitness center the next day, the attendant answered a question about towels abruptly without looking up from her cell phone. As the days wore on, the service did seem to improve. Greeters were posted in the lobby (and they did open the door for you).

The dinner buffet was excellent with fresh seafood and Alaskan King Crab legs, although a bit pricey at RMB 178. I did not eat at the hotel any other time because there is an infinite number of excellent dining choices within walking distance, including a cheaper buffet at the Renaissance hotel down the street (which I didn't try) and an excellent American-style pancake house next to the huge Cloud 9 mall, about a 6 minute walk away. The New World's location couldn't be better with lovely Zhongsan Park across the street and literally sitting on top of one of the busiest subway stations in Shanghai.

The room was an "upgraded" deluxe room which meant that it was on a higher floor with a nice view of the park. The furnishings and carpet were aged and could use a renovation. Also, the internet access was pricey at RMB 280 for 3 days and the wireless component of it was practically useless, the signal was so weak.

The 15th floor fitness center had older but still serviceable weight machines and a nice view of the park. It adjoins a large outdoor pool which is a very nice place to hang out on a hot summer day. The pool is surrounded on 3 sides by tall buildings which means that only around mid-day will the pool get direct sun, although bright sun is a rarity in Shanghai anyway. The pool water was surprisingly chilly and it's 15th floor location between tall buildings means that it's a breezy sundeck that is cooler than the temperature at street level. There is also a nice spa with a hot tub and sauna.

The overall ambiance of the New World is contemporary chic, and it is popular with flight crews and Europeans. Many of them walk next door to the Penta hotel which has an excellent happy hour and a more down-to-earth fun neighborhood watering hole feel. Overall, this is a nice place to stay but it deserves 4 stars only because of it's location. If it were anywhere else, it would get 3 stars.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Zhongsan Park have a nice view, but you'll hear traffic noise and music and karaoke...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear gwwyjjliu,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review!

I am sorry to hear that your stay did not start of well and I apologize for the poor impression you had of our services upon your arrival. Your comments will most certainly be looked into and will be used to see how we can further improve our service and facilities. For the Health Club I am happy to report that the hotel is considering to run the facility by itself as it is currently outsourced.

Thank you for the nice comments about our convenient location on top of the metro station with three popular metro lines serving it. I am glad you enjoyed your dinner in our NONG Café and many of our guests comment about the abundance of dining choices within walking distance of the hotel.

Your comments about the guest room and fitness center are noted. The hotel has undergone an extensive renovation and is in the process of finalizing its plan for the upgrade of both these areas which are due to be carried out very soon. For the gym an entire new range of equipment has already been ordered and also the pool is due to be upgraded with new furniture and loungers.

I appreciate your comments about the hardware and look forward to welcome you back to our hotel very soon to showcase our latest upgrade program and hope to continue counting you as one of our guests.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and Tripadvisor contribution!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had a great break - so thanks for looking after me!

I was just passing through though and didn't know where to go, but I met a young staff member Laurens, who helped show me what's happening in Shanghai. He provided a number of good tips and recommendations, which really made my trip a lot more enjoyable.

The room was tip top and I had everything I needed.

Thanks again - I sure know where I'm staying next time I'm in Shanghai!

Alex

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear alex h,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback and comments about our newly renovated hotel. We hope your comments will inspire other guests to come try us out also and we look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon.

Thank you also for the nice comments about our helpful staff and especially your kind remarks about Laurens are very much appreciated and will most certainly be shared with him. I am sure your observations will act as encouragement for him and our other associates to continue to delight our guests.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Shanghai is overpriced and service is notoriously bad compared to other Asian major cities like Hong Kong and Singapore. But if you have to come to Shanghai then New World is better than many others in Shanghai. Service is pleasant and the staff is polite and attentive. My room was in the higher floor overlooked Zhongshan park so I had unobstructed view of the surrounding area. The buffet breakfast was good with many choices for Asian and Western taste.

CG

Room Tip: Good value for money
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear C G,

Thank you also for your positive remarks about our hotel in comparison to the other hotels in the city and your positive remarks about the attentiveness of our Associates and food quality are appreciated. We now look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was my fourth stay in the New World Shanghai Hotel. Its wonderful see the world class service is the same as ever. The management and staff could not have done anymore to look after me. I stayed on the 32nd Floor where I conducted many business meetings from the well appointed Club lounge on the 38th floor. Upon every visit to the lounge i was greet by Keith Lee and courteous and attentive staff. Great rooms, great views, great people.Thank you New World Shanghai Hotel.

1  Thank Jim Q
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Jim Q,

Thank you for the nice comments about our newly renovated Residence Club Rooms and Residence Club Living Room on the 38th Floor. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel and facilities and appreciate your kind remarks about our Associates and in particular about our Front Office Manager, Mr. Keith Lee. I will most certainly share your kind comments with him and the rest of the team. We now look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon