“Pleasantly surprised by the extremely high standard - Great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New World Shanghai Hotel

New World Shanghai Hotel
Ranked #21 of 4,320 Hotels in Shanghai
Beijing
“Pleasantly surprised by the extremely high standard - Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during a business seminar which we also hosted.
We were given a corporate rate and therefore the price was very reasonable.
The view from the room was nothing special, but at the price we paid, I didn't expect one.
The location is not premium for Shanghai, but is not far from the centre (20 minutes by taxi) and is right on the main subway line 2 connecting both airports and the railways station (Hongqiao) with the city centre.
The hotel itself maintains a very pleasant atmosphere and is well designed and maintained.
All the food we experienced was of a very high standard with fresh croissants for breakfast and many dishes made fresh in the open kitchens.
Service was generally very good, although there is always room for small improvements.
Generally I found the standard to be close to that of the very best international hotels in China with a price significantly lower.
For travellers on a budget, I would definitely consider this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Zhongshan Park.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear biglebufskiBeijing,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. I am happy to hear you were pleased with your stay and that you found the location of our hotel convenient for the purpose of your visit. We receive many positive comments about our location; being right next door to three major subway lines and opposite beautiful Zhongshan Park.

Your comment about us offering good value for money is another familiar remark we receive regularly and your compliments about the quality of our food and beverage will be shared with the F&B team who will be encouraged by your observation.

I thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution!

Marcel van Mierlo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Crans, Valais, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had a fantastic vacation staying at new world hotel in shanghai.. i would definitely come bak and stay again!!! everyone is friendly including Lurens van der Heijden!! he was a fantastic host at the hotel. Hope to visit again soon!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Byran D,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. We are all very happy to hear you had a 'fanstastic time' in our hotel and your kind words about Laurens van der Heijden will most certainly be shared with him!

I thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution and look forward to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've been coming to Shanghai regularly on business for the past five years and have not been generally pleased with the hotels I've stayed at until I came across the New World.

The sales staff are very helpful and not pushy. Front desk personnel are professional and accommodating.

The rooms were most importantly, clean and well equipped.

Finally, the location is ideal.

Having a reliable hotel to stay at in a city that I will be visiting more and more frequently on business is key. The New World is exactly that: reliable.

I have recommended the New World to several of my colleagues and piers as I know they will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Vlad P,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your kind words about our associates.

Your comments about our location are echoed by many of our guests and I am obviously very pleased with your remark that you find us 'reliable'.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was very happy with my stay at New World Shanghai Hotel. I loved the food (especially the dim sum), the location was very convenient, the staff was very professional and everything was very clean. I've been back here a few times now and will be going back again soon, this time for business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Plaxico B,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. We are happy you had a good stay and thank you for nice words about our associates.

We agree with you that our location is extremely convenient for both business and leisure travelers. Your positive remarks about the cleanliness in the hotel will most certainly be shared with our housekeeping team!

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Was on a holiday with my family there and had a great time. The staff were extremely nice and helpful, even became good friends with one of them! Breafast buffet each day was excellent, a lot of variation. Includes a gym and a pool which overlooks the city and has a great view. Hotel is very close to your major shopping centres and the train line is very easy and close to use. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: near the pool ie level 15
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Shaz A,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and appreciate your kind words about our Associates.

We agree with you that our location is extremely convenient for both business and leisure travelers, right next door to three major subway lines and conveniently located between both of Shanghai's airports. Our Executive Chef will be most pleased to hear your positve comments about the newly renovated NONG Cafe breakfast buffet and I thank you on his behalf for your observation.

I thank you again for your words of encouragement and Tripadvisor contribution!

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on three ocassions. The first one was our first stay in China. We stayed for two nights. Room was great they supplied everything you could need. Staff was more than friendly and helpful. They even have people waiting to call the lift for you. Breakfast well what can we say but excellent they had everything you could think of. They catered for everyone's tastes. The food quality and taste was great. Position was good metro was closeby is you wanted to venture yourself. We then travelled around and came back here two more times and we couldn't wait to get here because we knew what to expect. The only thing was the internet wasn't free. Most hotels we stayed at had wi fi in foyer free.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room on the front overlooking street and park.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear gtkelly_11,

Thank you for your review following your recent stays in our hotel. I am very pleased that you selected us for all three of your Shanghai stays and will most certainly share your kind comments with the rest of the team here.

I thank you for your remarks about our convenient location and quality of the breakfast buffet. Your comment about the WiFi has been noted.

I thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution and look forward to welcome you back to our hotel soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel has a very good location. It's very easy to take the subway and it is also not far away from the airport. The room is very clean and the food are deilicious. And also the Hotel services are excellent. The staffs are very professional and patient, especially Miss Jet Zhuang, she helped me with all the questions I had during my stay, not only about the hotel but also about other questions I had. I think when I go to Shanghai next time, I will still choose this hotel because it made me feel comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Laura2618,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will most certainly pass your kind words to Jet who is a great asset to our hotel and thank you on her behalf for your encouraging remarks!

I thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution and hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!