“Overpriced for a hotel under renovation - better options in vicinity” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of New World Shanghai Hotel

New World Shanghai Hotel
Ranked #16 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore
“Overpriced for a hotel under renovation - better options in vicinity”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I paid over 1000 RMB per night for 2 nights at the New World. I was recommended to stay there, as it was walking distance from the location of my business meetings. The hotel was under renovation, so access was poor. In addition, my rate did not include WiFi (free only in the lobby) and breakfast was also not included. For Shanghai suburb standards, the bathroom size was small. In-room amenities were ok. Security was good (I left behind a package at the lobby, and it had been retrieved and safely stored. After identification, it was handed back to me when I discovered it was missing and went looking for it). Couple of coffee shops (including Starbucks) round the corner, and a large mall (attached to the Renaissance Hotel) within 10 min walking distance. Hotel on top of the MRT station, in case you wanted to take public transport. For a lower price, I could have stayed at other 4 star chains closeby for lesser - with breakfast & wifi included.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Jining, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I have been staying in the hotel for the past few years and use the it as a home base when in shanghai. they are near completing a renovation and have been as gracious as always with great service at all times. It is the attitude of the staff willing to accomodate any request. I am in asia every six weeks so I know something about travel and its inconveniences. I feel like I am at home in the hotel.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Gremberghoven, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stay in New World Shanghai Hotel because of my friend's recommendedation.When I arrival the Hotel.Hotel is in renovation.The lobby at 2nd floor.The receptionist told me my breakfast at 34th floor and some free drinks,Than after check in,I went to the 34th floor. I showed my room card and ask about breakfast time and drinks.A kindly staff are very helpfull,He has just print a welcome letter for me.There is detail time about breakfast,afternoon tea and something.I'm very happy that staff remenber my name when the cocktail time.The food is very fresh and delicious.I like fanta or sprite they don't have but it's ok.This Hotel has renovation.I would like say the location is good easy to take the subway,and not far way from HongQiao Airport.Hotel service are excellent.Especially at Club Lounge. There staff are very professional,And also teach me how to eat Shanghainese steamed pork dumpling.It was very delicious.Staff are good so I don't care the renovtion.I get the imformation the new lobby will opening soon at August.Excutive floor staff are really good,very professional,very friendly and very polite.Good team by Angela,Doris and teamleader Xavier.I will aways booking New World Shanghai Hotel when I come to Shanghai.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael F
Fort Collins, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

stayed here for three nights as part of our tour. we were a group of 13 people. the front desk too 2 hrs to check-in. when i complained, the manager on duty didnt say anything, like she didnt understand english. the next day we couldnt open the door of the room. the front desk guy said, you are suppose to be checked-out what are you doing?! after many more arguments, finally they figured out that somebody checked us out. again the manager when complained didnt say anything pretending didnt understand.

the hotel itself is good. nice area, close to shopping and restaurants. good breakfast, good beds. if the staff was not pathetic i would probably give 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nanotechusa
Gremberghoven, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Before I write this review.I read some other guest's feedback.Many feedback write about the Club Lounge.And I think I agree.I have stay many Hotels in China for business.But New World Shanghai Hotel I will never be forget.Because of the service will aways in my memory.Onece time I was late for cocktail it was around 8:10pm,and I ask a receptionist.Is it possible I can get any drinks and foods I am late?He answered me yes and please find a pleasent seat than he bringed some chicken wings and some furits for me,and ask me what do I like to drink.After that,he slso apologize for the renovation and someting not convenience.well,I think the renovation is not problem.inportant is Club Lounge staff really take care for guest and gives help,I'm very happy stay in this Hotel,I will recommend my friends to booking this Hotel!Looking forward I'm waitting for new rooms new Club Lounge but not new staff!I hope I can meet this staff for my next stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

The Hotel has renovation,I stay in executive floor,they arranged 27th floor for me.there is only one lift can go to 27th floor,the other 2 has to go to 15th floor change in front of the lift,than I can get to 27th floor.well.I am not happy about that,But when I get to 34th floor fot breakfast or cocktail.Club lounge staff are very friendly and helpful.Also ask me do I feel noisy or do I need some help.I feel very warm,I am sure after renovation it will be more good,I will come back to this Hotel,Because of the service at 34th floor!I'm waitting for the new room!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

despite renewing the rooms on the executive floors, the hotel keeps serving their guests in the lounge on the executive floor to keep up the good service and you can still enjoy the nice view from from the 34th floor.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business