“Same old same old”

Ruitai Jingan Hotel
Ranked #1,614 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the third time last March. When no one is available to come pick me up at the airport, it's really convenient to go there by taxi since I kept the business card I took upon my first stay and drivers never have problems finding the place, a difficulty I've encountered trying to go to other places in Shanghai using this strategy. Plus, now that I've been there a couple of times, I can recognize the way. Once again, excellent location, but I found it a bit pricey this time considering the the price/quality rate. Nonetheless, always a reliable start for a journey in China.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Manuel P

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I have stayed there 4 times now as my client located nearby have booked me in this hotel. Don't expect too much from the hotel itself. It is quite far from Pu Dong airport. The room is not big but it is tidy; Has complimentary Internet (wired) access in room and free wifi in the lobby. The staff speak sufficient English and quite useful. The complimentary breakfast is ok but walk outside you will find more cafes (real coffee), bakeries/sweets and food stalls than you can decide.

The main attraction of this hotel is the location. Located in the old CBD, the hotel is opposite West Nanjing subway station and surrounded by major apartment stores such as H&M, UNI QLO, Mark and Spencer, GAP as well as other local designer brands. At nights there are stalls set up selling anything from fruit, to clothing, to jewelry. There is an 7-Eleven and pharmacy 15 meters from the hotel which is always handy when travelling overseas.

Within walking distance are every Asian cuisine you can think of, but I highly recommend venturing in the local Shanghainese dumpling restaurants (don't worry they all have pictured menus and translated in English).

The only disappointment is that there is no gym or swimming pool.

For someone who travels alone on business, it is an ideal location. I can go for a walk in the mornings and after work I can do some souvenir shopping, grab a quick bite and then retreat to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Edgar P
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed here on a recommendation from a friend and it was a great choice. Yes the beds are a little hard but if you have ever been to china this is to be expected. They do have softer mattress tops you can request at no charge. The rooms are clean, modern and comfortable. The hotels location is an easy walk to the metro and there is lots of shopping and great places to eat right outside the door. The staff speak some english and really make an effort to help and answer questions. Of all the places I have stayed in China this is at the top of the list. Price wise it is very affordable.

Room Tip: Look at what your booking online,some of the cheaper room are because they have no window. Read the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel is very well located. There are many shopping places close to the hotel as well as many restaurants. The subway is also very close, so it's easy to explore the city. Don't expect to be well rested though: the mattress is really hard and the air conditionning is not enough to fight the heat of the summer. Rooms are large and the price is ok for what this hotel has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Manuel P
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I would never stay here again or recommend this hotel, even to my worst enemy. The reason we stayed in this hotel was because it was easy to get to. From the airport we got on subway line two, and changed to the opposite side of the tracks at Guanglan Road, which is the end of the line for the train from the airport (for no obvious reason). There weren't any steps, so it wasn't a difficult journey even with all our luggage. We got off the metro at West Nanjing Station and exited at #4. The hotel is immediately in front of this exit. There is shopping and restaurants nearby. It is a great location, but not worth paying for a night without sleep. Maybe try to find another hotel nearby or one on line #2 from the airport. I saw a few, though I can't remember specific ones. The hotel itself was horrendous and the staff was even worse. I had booked a king bed online, but when I got to the room, it was barely a double bed. My husband and I cannot sleep on such a small bed, which was also rock hard. I went down to explain that we must have been given the wrong room because the bed was not a king bed as my printed receipt clearly stated I had paid for. The manager on duty informed me that this was their "king" bed, which absolutely shocked me. When I tried to explain that a king bed was a standard measurement, he told me that to stay in a different room would cost me $100 more. I pulled up the webpage where I had originally booked the room on my phone and showed him that a room with two beds was available for $17. I asked if I could upgrade for the quoted price, and he refused. He told me to book another room online if I wanted to, and I said that I would love to book it online if he would refund my prepaid cost for the initial room. He refused to refund any money. Basically, my choices were 1) Leave and stay somewhere else though I had already paid, 2) Stay in the room with the tiny, hard bed, or 3) pay $100 more to switch rooms. Needless to say, I was livid. I argued with him for well over an hour. If I had known that the size of the bed was a lie, I would have booked the two beds for $17 more in the first place. He didn't care. Finally, I demanded to see this room that was $100 more. When he took me to see it, I discovered it was only slightly bigger than my original room, had two small double beds, and each one was as rock-hard as the one in my original room. I got zero sleep and had to endure a 14 hour flight the next day. This was the worst experience with a hotel I have ever had, and I have traveled to 50 countries world-wide. PLEASE save yourself the nightmare and GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Room Tip: BEWARE--All rooms have small double beds that are rock hard. Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yobei
Reviewed March 16, 2013

this is the best hotel for the Mid range Dollar, Yuan, lire, yen, etc. Great location, super staff, and great breakfast. Clean rooms, great service, questions answered,(questions answered fast via Email before my trip also) money exchanged, all great. I would give this an excellent rating for its "budget range", but it is not the "Astoria" But I have to stress it is clean and comfortable.., It is a good hotel in a super location, parking below in garage also. the food within a block or two will sustain you for a long time. Many different places in many price ranges, from $3.00 a meal to $50.00+. Great shopping within a half block, high end names to low priced street merchants and low price shop owners.
Starbucks and Costa Coffee duke it out within a half block of Hotel, I love costa coffee better.
room has cable internet via room, and wifi in lobby and dining area.
Not possible to get You tube in China
From Pudong airport take #2 Bus/shuttle to Jing an temple. (22 yuan), then hail taxi to hotel,(15 yuan), total about $7.00 USD for both...can not beat that price.
I will rebook this place in April . Here is a tip on food.
walk out lobby door, look left, see outdoor stairs leading up to two restaurants, one is a Vietnamese pho joint,,(i did not go to it so no comment), but go up another level to outside restaurant (with butterfly as sign), You can also eat indoors up there, so no worries. Super food and beer, dirt cheap. You will eat like a king for $4.00USD ,,,example,,,40oz TsingTao beers are only $1.60 USD!!!! Plus skewered meats for around $3.00. other great food too.

taxis always available, bus line nearby as well as "subway"/ train is super close.

So book it.

Room Tip: I have the "no window" room, 915. only downfall is, no where to "hang clothes up"...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank foodwriter007
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Good location which is next to the metro. Easy access to all the attractions in shanghai. There are lots of shopping malls in the vicinity where there is wide range of F&B choices to choose from. The high end shopping street is just right behind the hotel which you could access by foot.

Room is spacious and comfortable. A large and comfortable bed, air con, LCD tv, couch, study table, bath tube is provided.

A highly recommended hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple