All reviewshuaihai roadiapm mallbedroom windowquality roomsnice hotelshower bathsubway systemgood sizerestaurants and shoppingroom facilitiestea bagshotel is locatedan updatespeak englisha great place to staystayed for nightswestern options
Reviewed August 4, 2009

My husband and 1-yr old baby stayed overnight here for our friend's wedding, which was at this same hotel. The overall facility and our room were clean, comfortable and nice. Maybe because our expectations for a Chinese hotel weren't that high, we ended up really enjoying our stay. First off, we didn't have to remind them to bring in the baby crib (they brought it into the room promptly). Even with the crib there was still plenty of room, and ours was just the standard room (it was called Superior). Since I can speak Chinese, I'm not sure how the staff's English level is. But what really impressed us was, the hotel was very efficient in finding the things we left in the room after we checked out, AND mailed them out to our home address the same day (we paid for shipping of course). Maybe this kind of service is assumed as normal for a Western hotel, but for a Chinese hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to wait for weeks for my stuff to be mailed out, if at all.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TXbakedpotato
Reviewed July 21, 2009

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed June 19, 2009

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I read the other reviews and I found the hotel to be not bad at all.
The first room we stayed in was ultra modern although a bit small; 42" plasma TV, good bed, etc; one problem: the wall separating the bathroom from the rest of the room was all glass. That rules out visitors, to say the least.
In the room we found a coffee maker, a small fridge, cups and saucers, some cutlery, etc.
After the cruise we stayed in a different older room that was actually much better; needed some paint, but it was larger, and had a more traditional bathroom.
We liked the buffet for dinner and the food in the lobby; there is a small gift shop where one can buy water and other drinks, though the hotel supplies two free bottles of water a day, as do most other hotels.
Everybody was actually very helpful, although English was definitely not fluently spoken; but they did try and we managed. The concierge was, however, a bit useless.
The location was adequate, though personally I would have preferred a more central location, near the pedestrian mall or the Yu Yuan Gardens. We found our best souvenirs in the small towns during the river cruise. I don't think the shopping in Shanghai is as great as everybody makes it sound.
We did experience the unrelenting noise from the construction site nearby; this is all over Shanghai now, since they are preparing for the World Expo next year. The Bund, for instance, is a mess.
All in all, it was a pleasant experience, though next time I would go for the J.W. Marriott's better location.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple