“Nice Hotel but should improve the check in”

Jin Jiang Tower Hotel
Ranked #115 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
Paris
“Nice Hotel but should improve the check in”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have stayed here a few times and the room are very good. They are refurbishing the revolving restaurant but they have opened a new restaurant on the ground floor.

My only real criticism of the hotel is that the check in and check out always takes a long time.

Hotel is handy for one of the mainshopping streets, which is just round the corner.

Room Tip: The other point is that you need to remember to specify a non smoking room, if you want one, when yo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Jill W, Public Relations Manager at Jin Jiang Tower Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from Jin Jiang Tower Shanghai. Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post your review of your most recent stay with us.

I am grateful to know that you enjoy the facilites and location. We will take your comments regarding the check-in and check-out experience into further consideration for our improvement. We are always pleased to know what our guests value most!

Please know that we would be eager to have the opportunity to serve you better in the future. I hope that we have the opportunity to having you back at Jin Jiang Tower Shanghai!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Suzhou, China
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The location is definitely good, with short distances to great shopping areas, bars and restaurants. Also, the views from the room and restaurant in the hotel are great at night. Also, I got a deal, with two nights for two people at a price lower than the hotel's competitors. And, the distinctive tower makes it easy to find your way back (and hard for any unscrupulous taxi driver to take you the wrong way).

But, one of the reasons I booked this room was for the views over Shanghai in the 'revolving restaurant' on the top floor. We got to the top floor only to walk into a dark room with a sign saying that the restaurant was being renovated. So, no revolving for us.

Then, we went down to the ground floor restaurant, but the good looked pretty unappetising. Fortunately, we found a great place nearby for that first night.

Then, on Sunday morning (9am) the pneumatic drilling started. Again, we'd been given no indication that this would happen. At first we thought it was from the building site across the way (oh, yeah, there's a building site across the way...), but it seemed to be coming from inside the building. Presumably, it was the renovation of the revolving restaurant.

So, we left early, fed up of the noise.

As others have mentioned, the rooms are also a little tired looking, but made up for by the views.

If you book, make sure you ask the right questions. (And, don't go on to the internet in the hotel without following the procedure they tell you about - I tried to connect to an available network, thinking that it was the right way of doing it, and that same day my Gmail account fired off 30 emails to my contact list asking them to click on a link...somewhere in Iran is a server with my email password on it).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tractarian76
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2012

No complaints about the hotel, nice room, good service, great breakfast, only problem is you have to pay for the wifi, with is a bit pricy, considering all the lower price backpackers i normally stay at have free internet for guest. the hotel seems to allow working girls to operate within the hotel, nightly i had call girl cards put under my door, and was approved by girls for hire in the lobby, with a very dodgy guy standing not far away watching. so beware and don't by your self any trouble. out side of that the hotel is a nice place in a nice area of Shanghai

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steven M
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I booked this hotel through my agent in Hong Kong. I stayed with my colleague for a total of 3 nights. Location is great as it is on Changle Lu and is close to my favourite Museum of Indigo block printing (Changle Lu No 637) However, the first thing I found was there was no free wifi. I called the front desk to ask what has happened and what he said was that the Hong Kong agent was to be blamed as they had encountered many cases like this already. I told him he should reflect the problem with the travel agent to avoid future misunderstanding of other hotel guests, he responded to me coldly that there was nothing that they can do. In general, the staff here did not have good knowledge about the things around the area. For example, there is s free shuttle bus to tour around Shanghai nearby and we tried to ask them but all they told us was there was nothing like this. I am glad that we were adventurous enough to find it out by ourselves and had a really good ride. Plus the staff was not polite and professional as they always "huh" to us and showed unpleasantness when I asked them things.

• Stayed April 2012
Vadodara, India
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Beautiful hotel, clean, shiny, and worth the amount paid....I would agree to Stevew918's review, they do have very interesting toilet seats ... loll..

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We arrived very early and were informed that we would have to wait until noon (which is ok). Then a room was suddenly available for a surcharge of 500 y (which I refused). And then, the room was suddenly available for a surcharge of 80 y incl. broadband (which I took). Don't let reception trick you too much...

Room was nice, location is acceptable. Didn't go for breakfast or use other facilities. OK hotel if you can get a deal on the room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andre1312
USA
Reviewed October 19, 2011

This is part of my two week Henan / Shanxi tour, and was arranged by the travel agent. I have stayed here and reviewed it in 2008.

The hotel and surrounding are under a lot of construction, so be aware. The hotel closed the gym, rotating restaurant and swimming pool for remodeling. There is noisy construction next block, with pounding sound late into the evening.

There are some shops and nice restaurants nearby, but it is further from the bund, Nanking Road shopping, and you have to walk several blocks to catch the subway. Glad that the bellboys were very helpful to hail taxi for us.

The room is clean and comfortable, but the bathroom needs more careful thorough cleaning once a while as I saw some minor mold on grout and at the bottom of the shower curtain. They have a special toilet seat that can wash, dry and massage, Very interesting!

There is wifi for internet connection in the lobby. However, there is no seat in the lobby area, so I had to sit awkwardly sat on the edge of the flower bed.

I stayed and reviewed this hotel in 2008. Seems like they are renocating the hotel. But being that several facilities are closed at this time, you may want to consider these factors when you make reservation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends