“probably my last stay at InterContinental”

InterContinental Shanghai Pudong
Ranked #45 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Was booked into the hotel from my company's travel agent.

Colleagues were recommending this as THE hotel and how great it was and especially the breakfast buffet was supposed to be the best in the world etc. etc.

Well I don't know, but somehow I had a totally different experience.

I traveled with one colleague. He got a room on a different floor. As it turns out, the hotel is undergoing renovations and there are some floors with renovated rooms (iPOD docking, USB charging, modern bahroom etc.) and some floors with old rooms (none of the above, pretty worn out rooms etc.). By the time we found out about this difference I couldn't be bothered to change rooms.

Next morning in the shower I realized that it was overflowing. Water could only be controlled in temperature, but not in level (how much water). This was an really old style kind of shower, which I had only seen in the US before. I had to take my shower in three parts, in order to not not flood the room. After I complained at the reception, they fixed this during the day. But I expect the shower to work at this kind of hotel.

This hotel is the kind of hotel that has music playing in all public spaces. Even on the floors where the rooms are. Not only in front of the elevators, but everywhere. On Saturday, I woke up at 6:20 a.m., because of loud Jazz music playing outside my room. Great... I didn't come to this place to listen to Jazz but to sleep !!! During the week I have to get up early enough, so it didn't bother me. But the weekend I want to sleep in. Idiots !! I had to call the reception, complain and finally they were able to turn down the volume.

Final reason for not staying there again are the phone and Internet charges. Although I don't have to pay for this personally, the only hotels I had to pay for Internet in the past few years have been Inter Continental hotels (Shanghai, Seoul, ...). Guys, wake up !! This is the 21st century. You don't charge for the towels separately nor for the pillow. And Internet is free in the rest of the hotel world. So stop this nonsense. It's a commodity and I expect it to be there without having to go through all sorts of login procedures. Plus, they even track if I have attached multiple device to my little wireless access point ...

Breakfast is good, but by far not the "best in the world". If you ever stayed at the same level of hotel in Singapore, you most likely have seen better breakfast buffets. Where is the Japanese breakfast? Where is the Korean breakfast? OK, European is plenty, US style as well and Asian is mostly Chinese. But I have seen better. I'm not complaining, just putting it into perspective. The almond croissants are highly recommended - very good !!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
GraceWu021, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2011

On behalf of the entire team at InterContinental Shanghai Pudong, we would like to express our sincere gratitude for your comments which have been shared with all of our colleagues.

InterContinental Shanghai Pudong has achieved a Tripadvisor rating of 4.5 and therefore has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence for the year 2010 from Tripadvisor, and our buffet in Restaurant Level One has been highly recommended by readers at Best Food In China.net. However, in this instance, your experience is different and therefore we would like to apologise.

Some of our guest rooms are undergoing a soft renovation. Will try our best to arrange a new room for you next time you arrive. Just book with us directly, instead of a 3rd party. Your comments about shower and background music have been addressed to avoid the recurrence of such incidents.

Regarding phone and internet charge, we have different room categories, we would like to recommend a club room, which entitles you to complimentary internet, and other club lounge benefits such as breakfast, free flow of champagne and light food during our cocktails hours.

I hope these experiences do not deter you from visiting us again. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly via grace.wu@ihg.com, so I can take care about your reservation and arrangements.

Grace

Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed March 26, 2011

Stayed here recently for business and it was a decent overall stay. The hotel itself is a bit old by Shanghai standards, but the rooms and lobby have all been refurbished and are nice and comfortable. Standard IC rooms really, with a desk and a nice bathroom and bed. View from the rooms is nothing special, and the hotel itself isn't a beautiful one. However, it's in a convenient business location in Pudong and has easy enough access to the subway. I'll recommend it for a business hotel, but if you're looking for a leisure hotel definitely choose a property on the Puxi side

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2011

As a avid business traveller globally, I typically stay at company preferred 5-star hotels, this being one of 2 recommended in Shanghai. This is my 1st trip to Shanghai and staying at this hotel has left me with lots of questions as to how our company selected this hotel. The Superior room is one of the smallest I have stayed in, yet room quality is great for 2 guests. I asked for a room with a view upon checkin and am staring out at a neon sign with a brick wall to my right. As the pool is being renovated, I asked for an alternative venue...the front desk lady reluctantly informed me that in case I needed to use a pool, they can arrange something at the Holiday Inn!! There seems to be a lot of people/waiters in the dining area, yet very poor attention to customer service and detail.
I went there for the dinner buffet, food was improperly prepared, twice, even a water glass was never refilled, yet 3 wait staff were standing right infront of my table chatting and staring out, the final straw was when I asked for a invoice copy, I was rudely informed by the waitress that she cannot give one to me. Sorry Intercontinental, this is totally unaccepttable and I will ensure never to stay here again and recommend my company to cancel our agreement......there are too many 5Star places in Shanghai ready to earn our business. The concerige service is outstanding no doubt.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
GraceWu021, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2011

Apology and fix!

We would like to express our appreciation of having your time reviewing about your exposure with InterContinental Shanghai Pudong. Your feedback is very crucial to us!

InterContinental Shanghai Pudong is ideally located in the heart of Lujiazui, offers the ideal setting for business travelers. Our new Club InterContinental Premier Rooms are the largest premier rooms in Shanghai at 67㎡, providing a haven for both work and relaxation. As you have mentioned, our concierge service is outstanding, always ready to provide In The Know information to guests. We pride ourselves in our impressive service, thus been selected by your company from other options. However in this instance, we failed to meet your expectations, please accept our sincere apology.

We have noted your feedback on the issues of your room size, room view, dinning experience and swimming pool that you have encountered, and already shared the comments with concerned associates for immediate fix. Good news is our swimming pool will be re-opened by Friday, 11 March, 2011. (I will add photos of new swimming pool to hotel photo library for your reference.)

Hope you may grant us another opportunity to show you that these lapses in service are not the norm here. Please make the reservation directly with me your next visit to Shanghai by grace.wu@ihg.com to see our improvement and try the brand new swimming pool.

Reviewed March 5, 2011

Perhaps it's just a Characteristic of China, my room smelled of smokers past. I felt better outside the room than inside. Don't get me wrong, the hotel is a perfect business hotel.
The staff was friendly and spoke english was attentive at al times. I like the fact there was a ipod dock connected to the TV, in room iron board with iron and supplied from everything from paper clips to razors. The bed was comfortable and the room was perfect. Hotel management needs fix the smoking in smoke free rooms/floor clearly mine was not.
The breakfast buffet was very good.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your time in writing your feedback and we are glad your overall experience with us is lovely. We will try harder to train our room attendances to clean the smoking in smoke free rooms/floors to avoid such flaw come out again.

We hope you will stay with us on your next visit to Shanghai to experience the InterContinental hospitality again.

Reviewed February 20, 2011

overall is good. just a few comments:

internet:
it took them sometime to work out my internet problems in my room. The speed is fast so no complaints.

cleanliness:
found a ball of hair with dust on the floor of my shower.

food:
I only had their buffet breakfast. Food like baked beans, hash browns, sausages were cold.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MC_HKG
GraceWu021, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2011

Highly appreciate your time and comments about your stay at InterContinental Shanghai Pudong. It is glad to know that your overall experience with us is good, we will pay attention to your kind comments and improve from "good" to "great"!

Look forward to your next visit, to show you the improvement that we have made.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 6, 2011

We chose the Intercontinental as there were some really good deals for the time we were looking at traveling but sadly we left a bit disappointed with some aspects of this hotel. The hotel itself was quite nice in terms of design but there were a few things we saw that you would not expect of a hotel within this group.

The room itself was fine; it had modern furnishings and was comfortable although it was a little cramped. The bathroom seemed to be a little old and tired which was a bit disappointing. The gym was very small and had VERY basic equipment and as a result, I did not bother going. The pool was the biggest disappointment. There was mold in quite a few sections which left us dumbfounded and exiting the water pretty rapidly! The breakfast was nice although service left a bit to be desired. We had to continually ask for and then remind the staff we still needed things like cutlery, sugar and teas and coffees. This was DESPITE the fact we speak Chinese quite well and have lived in China for a few years. We had thought we were perhaps being picky in terms of our assessment of the hotel but upon using the toilets downstairs at the far end of the lobby, I noticed they had not been cleaned for a while. When I mentioned this to my wife when going back to the airport, she made the same comment about the female toilets.

Still, it was in a decent location and the hotel was what we needed. The staff were both friendly and approachable and the inside section of the hotel from the lifts is VERY impressive.

Despite this, it was not what we were expecting from an Intercontinental hotel. I'm hoping our experience was just bad luck on our part.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelAddicts05
GraceWu021, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2011

Many thanks for choosing InterContinental Shanghai Pudong, and appreciate your kind comments. Regarding the biggest disappointment you have mentioned, a good news to share with you that our pool is under renovation now, you can expect a brand new one on your next visit here.

I have noted your comments on the issue of the breakfast service and the toilet cleanness that you have encountered. I would like to apologize for the lapse of service and already share your comments with concerned associates. Again, I hope these experiences do not deter you from visiting us again, and we look forward to your next visit and to show you the improvement that we have made.

Sincerely yours, Grace Wu

Reviewed February 1, 2011

The Pudong Intercontinental, I have read, was the first 5 star hotel established on the east side of the HuangPu river in 1996. It has recently undergone refurbishment, as there are 6 other hotels from the major competitors within a 5km radius. I booked for 7 nights, as this was my first visit to Shanghai, and I wished to be not far from where some expatriate friends from Australia were living. I booked on line for a room and breakfast package. On the first night, I was given a room with 2 single beds, when I booked for a king, but this was rectified promptly the next day, and we were placed on a higher floor facing the same aspect. I enjoyed the new space-saving room design, where the wardrobe opened to both the bedroom and the bathroom. The room was brightly lit, and I enjoyed the automated blinds, which could be closed at night to block out the traffic noise below (even audible from the 10th floor) and opened to let in the sunlight during the day. The choice for breakfast buffet was great, with the first floor restaurant really 5 restaurants in 1, which included Chinese, Japanese and a bakery.
My only grip is minor; fiddling with the buttons on the flush on the toilet cistern, and unable to fully latch the heavy bathroom door.
Unless you insist on staying at the dizzy heights of the 2 Hyatt in the Jin Mao and World Financial Centre, or being on the river front on the Pudong Shangri-La, the Pudong Intercontinental is highly recommended, and you may even save yourself a few dollars!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple