“Great place to stay”

Holiday Inn Shanghai Downtown
Ranked #133 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed May 11, 2007

I stayed at this hotel (Great Wall Wing) for 3 nights in May. The hotel was chosen for it's close proximity to the railway station (2 minutes walk) and highway (run past the hotel) links due to many meetings being planned out of Shanghai.

The rooms are the normal size you would expect from Holiday Inn, with TV, fully fitted bathroom with shower over the bath. We asked for and received queen size beds in our rooms. After a 12 hour working day in temperatures of 25-30 degrees, the beds proved very comfortable.
The staff keep the rooms imaculate each day and are always helpful and curteous.

The Great Wall Wing has a lovely restaurent which serves up breakfast each morning with a choice of fresh fruit, cooked breakfast (Bacon, Eggs, French Toast, Beans) or chinese variety. Whilst we did not sample the main restaurent, the menues and prices looked good with a mixture of chinese and western dishes on offer at very reasonable prices.

There is a small but well equiped gym, 4 lane Brunswick bowling alley, sports bar with plasma tv's, the usual quality gift shops, a gentlemans clothes shop, and a travel agent.

All in all we would highly recommend this hotel if you are using this as your base. Shopping areas are spread all over Shanghai so walking to most of them is not an option, however with the average taxi fare for upto 3 people being just £1.00 it really is not an issue.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank rainee155

Reviewed May 9, 2007

I went with my mom and dad to Shanghai and Beijing last May 2007. I had the opportunity to stay at both Holiday Inns in Downtown Shanghai and Beijing.

The first thing I noticed about H.I. Downtown Shanghai is that they have really stiff beds and mattresses! I didn’t think this could happen to a four-star hotel in Shanghai – one of the biggest cities in the world. After my first night, I asked them to add more sheets to my bed since it was really hard – it was like sleeping on a single sheet of comforter on the floor! When I came back, nothing really changed. They simply added another sheet of blanket which really did nothing to soften up my cot (mine was an extra bed). Even the two beds in our room were as hard as my cot! I was wondering if this was really the Chinese standard for comfort.

H.I. Downtown Beijing had better, softer beds!

Reviewed May 6, 2007

I chose this hotel because I had to make a 9am meeting downtown, also I was intrigued by the location near the railway station. The rate was a real surprise because every other international brand was priced 2-3X as much. From the airport, you can take the maglev then the subway on line# 2 to People's Square station where you switch to line # 1 to get to Shanghai Railway Station. You take exit #3. Just outside the exit is a huge mall, the hotel is on your left side.

Some of the reviews here already made me expect the worst so I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly bell boy and the beatiful room (I will post photos when I get back home), which may be cosy by US standards but I just came from HK so it seemed spacious by comparison. There is free bottled water and coffee service in the cabinet. My favorite of the details is the small cloisonne bottled framed in a hardwood frame with beatiful silk matting, hanging in the bathroom.

I did not eat in the hotel, opting instead to try the eateries in the mall. The Cafe De Coral is from Hong Kong and you can have a meal of BBQ pork rice for under 20RMB.

Yeah, service in China is hit and miss and the carpet is old. But I have met mostly friendly and helpful people and that more than makes up for the fruitseller who charged me 2X knowing that I am a foreigner (even though I am Chinese by descent).

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank tennispardner
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We stayed here for a few days with a Smartours travel group. The lobby and other common areas are nice and modern but the actual rooms are not so great. They are clean but a little outdated, hard beds, the blow dryer in the room sucks, a couple of mosquitoes somehow made their way into our room at night even though the windows were closed. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank atepolt
Reviewed January 26, 2007

Recently stayed in Holiday Inn DownTown Hotel in Shanghai.

The minute we showed our voucher to the receptionist, she asked us to pay another 130.00 US dollars to be upgrated to the rooms in the new wing. When we said we did not want to do so, she tried to persuade us again, by showing us pictures of the room and adding that the bed would be soft and that it would be a big quiet room. When we made it clear we were not interested, and asked to proceed the checking in so that we could finally go up to our room, she spoke in chinese and laughed with the rest of the stuff present at the time.

Our room was on the 8th floor and it was big alright. However, the bed was really really hard so we asked the housekeeping to send us an extra mattress so that we could place it underneath. Tired as we were from the flight, we immediately went to bed. Soon we realized that even though it was night time, the noise was intolerable and we would have a tough time getting to sleep. Not only that, but the heating was not operating and we were really cold. Still, we decided that this would be dealt with the next day as we were tired and it was late anyway.

The next day both my husband and I had pains all over our bodies because of the hard bed, and also had a cold. I immediately went downstairs to complain to the receptionist for giving us the worst room she could, and she only said we could have paid and got ourselves one of the new rooms. At that point I got really angry and demanded to spek to the manager. He escorted me to the room, and verified that in deed the heating was broken down, the room was noisy and also that the bed was hard. He took a look on our reservation paper, and said we will be immediately transferred to the 12th floor on one of the renovated rooms because that is where we were originally supposed to have been anyway!

Soon a bell boy assisted us with our luggage and we went to the new room. This one was a lot smaller than the first one on the 8th floor, but it was brand new, with a softer matress and it seemed to be quiet too. Therefore we agreeded to spend the next 3 nights there.

Breakfast was nothing special but what I have to specify is that the stuff was not wellcoming or warm at all ! Quite different to what I had expected for a Holiday Inn Hotel.

The price for the restaurant in case you want to have dinner is about 35 dollars for buffet dinner, but they charge quite expensive all beverages...

Back home I really can't tell I was able to find a lot of info about this hotel on the net, regarding the location, so it was a good thing the metro station was very near to the hotel.

The second morning we were there, a Monday morning, we asked at 11.00 in the morning to change us a 100 euro bill , and we were told to go to a bank because as it was Sunday the previous day, they did not have enough money !!! That was really weird we thought, but we did not want to start our day arguing again. Therefore we left the hotel in search of the closest bank. Luckily, there are more than 4 banks in the neighboorhood but not one of them could assist us as they had a break (!) for an hour ! Then we went back to the hotel and demanded to have our bill changed. They did !

I cannot understand why you have to argue with everybody from the reception to have the simplest things done !

We enjoyed being in Sangai and perhaps will go back some time in the future, but we will definetely never stay in the same hotel ever again. The second room we were given was alright, but the hotel stuff both at the reception and the restaurant was so rude and not wellcoming, and anyway, there are soooo many other better hotels, so, never ever again in a Holidai Inn in Sanghai ...

Stayed: January 2007
5  Thank anna_maraki
Reviewed November 20, 2006

Hello fellow Canadians and travelers. I am here to tell you that if you are ever in Shanghi and need a great hotel. I suggest you stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown location in Shanghi. Yes you could pay much more$$$$ and stay at the RITZ ect.. However you will recieve much better service be it personal or otherwise at the Holiday Inn(Downtown). I have the so many good things to say but I will be brief and highlight one example.

After meeting my wife on vacation in Shanghi 2 years ago while n a buisness trip. I can now say we are happily married for 1 year now. I had my aniversary this year at the holiday inn (downtown ). I wanted to surprise my wife with a beautiful day and cap it off with a aniversary hotel room. The staff who I advised of my plan and wishes to make this day as great as possible did everything and more to make it happen.

In fact the staff at the Holiday Inn went way beyond my expectations. I thought, they will put a few candles and flowers and send us a bill to at check out time. NO WAY!

The staff here not only made dinner wonderful, but they also made sure the entire room was dedicated to our aniversary. I mean there was a HUGE ARANGEMENT of flowers in a heart shape on the bed surrounded by rose petals. Each flower individually cut to size to fit the arrangement of flowers(very difficult job by hand). Orniments signifying "Double Happiness" a popular Chinese slogan for couples happily married, just married and or aniversary ect. Decorations, ornements and dinner was aranged, with champainge. There is much more but I fear you will quit reading soon. I am a very happy husband but my wife was even happier than I when she walked into the room. I mean she cried from the joy of surprise and the sheer beauty of the room in its entirety.

I would have had no time to do what the staff at the holiday inn did for my wife and I. I wouldn't have thought to do most of the other things (to numerous to mention) as well. Talk to Jerry, Anthony and the rest of the holiday staff about all your needs, wants and desires and I can assure you happiness and satisfaction.

Remenber Holiday Inn Downtown Shanghi

Remember Jerry- Manager

Remember Anthony- manager

Remember Holiday Inn Staff

If you remeber these things your stay in Shanghi will be perfect for sure!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank shawn4helen
Reviewed August 4, 2006

I really can't understand how IC grooup can waste its brand firming such an old, dirty, noisy and out-of-everywhere hotel. It's a real trap. The only brightside is a servicefull personel, the rest - my godness! There's another one, nice, at Pudong: choose it, avoid Downtown!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business