Holiday Inn Shanghai Downtown
Far East Hotel(Shanghai)
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewstrain stationtravel agentconvenient locationclub floorbusiness tripchinese foodbusiness hotelnanjing roadtaxiinnskfclineconvenienceaddressexitstarbucksyuan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a Gery god hotel. Booked trough Travelagent. Comfortable, clean and non-smoking room.
Location is very convenient; underground and Shanghai Railway Station is just around the corner.
Breakfast is good also, Munch variety.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
mary h, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Shanghai Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear YHoope,
Sincere thanks for taking your time to share your experience and appreciated for your kind words of praise for Holiday Inn Shanghai Downtown. I’m delighted to learn that on the whole you enjoyed our service and facilities. Although it is our basic principle to offer high service standard, it is often reassuring to hear directly from our guests. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, or perhaps some of your friends whom you may care to recommend our hospitality.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel is at the South side of the Shanghai Railway Station and I bet most people stay here for the convenience to the station.. There is a Holiday Inn Express at the North side of the station and costs less. I selected this hotel because it is a tad closer to the Shanghai Metro station than the Express, so it would make getting around a little easier. I was also expecting a room/facility that is better than Holiday Inn Express but lower than Crowne Plaza (all 3 belong to the same chain).

My check-in experience should have been a good indicator to me for the quality of my stay - a bonafide poor. I booked a non-smoking superior room, which should have a king or queen size bed. My Priority Club profile also has non-smoking marked as well. However, the hotel ignore all of that and placed me in a smoking room. The smell was so bad that I couldn't stay there more than a couple of minutes. I kindly asked the hotel to honor the reservation and move me to a non-smoking room but the front desk said they didn't have any non-smoking room unless I am willing to downgrade to a smaller guest room with twin bed. I asked why when they ran their daily Priority Club check in report, that they didn't hold a non-smoking room for me given I am a platinum member but the front desk simply said I am out of luck. I had to turn off my politeness and push for a manager to resolve this issue. When a manager looked into this, he mysteriously found a non-smoking room with a queen size bed. This process burn up nearly an hour during check-in. I simply can't understand why the hotel would treat their priority club guest so poorly, especially a top-tier Platinum member. This is very disappointing.

I am a long time Priority Club Platinum member and had countless stays in the chain, This Holiday Inn is simply not at the normal quality, especially for Asia Pacific where the Intercon chain is doing a generally good job at keeping up with high standards. But was I wrong or what! The room is exactly the same size if not smaller than the newer HI Express - there is nothing better about this hotel than HI Express. They renovated the room but did a horrible job with the bathroom. There is NO counter space in the bathroom. All you have a ledge above the sink and above the toilet -- with most of the space taken by hotel signage There is very little space for guest's own personal care items. The ledges are also slanted forward so things tend to roll off or tip over the ledges. This was so bad that my contact lens case almost fell right into the toilet. Fortunately, I reacted very fast and caught the lens case before it dropped into the toilet. From there on, I kept the toilet lid shut the entire stay but continue to have things fell onto the lid. The bathroom space is soooo tight, that they should not put a tub in the it. They were better off turning it into a shower only bathroom like HI Express. The hair dryer in the bathroom didn't work and I had to use my own. But, there was no electrical outlet in the bathroom for appliances (only one for low-current shavers). I had to blow dry my hair in the hall way and constantly go back into the bathroom to use the mirror.

The closet was also super small, and it could barely fit 2 sets of outfits. i had to keep most of my clothes in my suitecase and swap in and out my clothes on a daily basis.

The paid wired internet is also very unreliable, constantly dropping connection, to a point that I couldn't maintain the VPN connection to my company long enough to do any work and had to go get a China Unicom 3G SIM so I can tether my iPhone for internet, which was more reliable.

The hotel has a gym, which is one of the reasons I picked it. Unfortunately, the equipment is dated and not well maintained. The wires and weight plates on the multi-station was so rusted, a 30lb setting felt more like 150lbs and the movement was not fluid - a very likely thing to cause sports injury during workout.

I would have given this hotel 1-star but bumped it to 2-star because of the complementary access to the Executive Lounge they provided to their Platinum members. The free breakfast and soft drinks did make my life easier during the stay. That said, any customer could go to HI Express at a lower rate and get a better room with free breakfast, so this hotel is really not that attractive from so many angles.

Room Tip: Be firm with the front desk and don't let them bully room to take a lesser room that what you reserved.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Knowmyhotels,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for being a Priority Club Platinum Elite Member. First of all, I would like to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you’ve encountered. Please be assured that a full investigation into your concerns will be conducted. About the poor front desk service, I have addressed this point raised with the relevant department head with corrective actions being taken. To make sure this kind of issue won’t happen again in the future. And about room, we have a planned refurbishment program starting at the end of this Nov. that includes guest rooms. We will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guests. Regarding internet, currently in-house guest can enjoy free wifi at out lobby, restaurant, meeting room and executive lounge. We are now negotiating the issue about internet connection with our third party provider. We truly hope you will give us a chance to show you our quality of service and regain your confidence. Thank you once more for bringing the Ups and Downs of your visit to our attention.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

we came here as a group of 20 just for a meal - we were the only people there which we know know why.
We had made a booking so quite why they seemed so unprepared is beyond me.
The drinks arrived but he could not recall who ordered what and the soft drinks were warm.
We were given a basket of stale rolls to eat while we ordered our main food.
4 of us ordered avacado with prawns and 20 mins later were advised there was none- same story with the chicken and mushroom dish, we reordered our mains and eventually they arrived, halfway through the starters arrived.
The food was mostly luke warm or over cooked ( spring rolls)
You are possibly wondering why on earth we are trying to eat Western food in a Chinese city- well it was a thank you dinner for our Chinese tour manager and he chose to go there.
However - if they were not able provide Western food properly then don't bother at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
mary h, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Shanghai Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear wandawoobucks,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience. First of all, I would like to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you’ve encountered. Please be assured that a full investigation into your concerns will be conducted. This incident indicates more attention is required by our team and has been treated with great concern. I have addressed these points raised with the F&B Director with corrective actions being taken. And we hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is. If there is anything we can do to make your next visit more comfortable. Please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for four nights while I was in Shanghai for a friend's wedding celebration. I was pretty happy with the overall experience; certainly, for the price one pays, it was good value. Service was commendable, the staff at the front desk and the concierge service were always friendly and ready to help. The rooms were relatively spacious and clean. The location was acceptable; not in the city centre itself but just a few minutes' walk to one of the major railway stations and an easy taxi ride to everywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Rebecca W,
Sincere thanks for taking your time to share your experience and appreciated for your kind words of praise for the team at Holiday Inn Shanghai Downtown. I’m delighted to learn that on the whole you enjoyed our service and facilities. Although it is our basic principle to offer high service standard, it is often reassuring to hear directly from our guests. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, or perhaps some of your friends whom you may care to recommend our hospitality.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I spent 6 nights in this Hotel. This is very standard business hotel. Average size room, good bed , good variety at the breakfast buffet. Train station and underground is just behind the hotel (200 meters).

Air-cond was not good and humidity raised because no warming in air-cond - that made rooms little un confy.. Windows are locked, so can't get any ventilation?

Otherwise very positive atmosphere and good service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
mary h, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Shanghai Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear arska50,
Thank you for your stay at Holiday Inn Shanghai Downtown and taking your time to share your experience with us. We are so happy that you have enjoyed our service and ambiance of the hotel. Please kindly accept my sincere apologies for discomfort caused by air-conditioning. This incident that happened during your patronage indicates more attention is required by our team and has been treated with great concern. Thank you once more for bringing the Ups and Downs of your visit to our attention and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.