“Exotic Shanghai”

Crowne Plaza Shanghai
Ranked #99 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I have stayed in there Pudong property, it's a lovely 5 star property in the out-skirts of Shanghai. Very close to free trade zone. Excellent value for money

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed May 11, 2009

I stayed here for two nights (May 8-9, 2009) on a business meeting. This also happens to be the crew hotel for several major airlines.
The first thing I like about this hotel is it's location. It's very easy to get a taxi (doorman will get it for you) and there are plenty of small to medium sized restaurants nearby that feature both chinese, western and other international fare.
Check-in was easy and efficient. My bags were taken right to my room by an attendant. The hotel was in good repair and I didn't see any visible signs of wear and tear or things that were not functioning.. One of my favorite things about the whole check-in experience is that beautiful red fabric back-drop that is to the rear of the front desk.. very beautiful and elegant..
My room was fairly large well equipped. It had all the features you'd expect.. a large desk, internet access is available in the room (at a charge), full international TV, coffee/tea maker, iron, etc. Nice big bathroom with tub/shower combo. Everything in the room was clean and nothing was broken or inoperable.
As for the hotel itself, it has a large healthclub right on the premesis-- for a small charge-- pool, sauna, exercise machines, etc.. You could get a full workout here without missing anything.. There is also a fully equipped and staffed business center on-site. Computer rental, internet access, printing, mailing, faxing, translation, etc.. you need it-- they'll get it done.. There are three restaurants as well.. of course the requisite main chinese restaurant, a western/international cafe, a coffee bar with small pastries and sweets, plus a quasi sportbar-like place that offer lighter fare and drinks.. However, in my opinion, in a town like Shanghai, that is arguably famous for its cuisine, you really should take the risk and explore the cities diverse culinary side..
My room was prepaid on a company account, so I can't speak to the rate. The service from the hotels' staff was friendly enough.. My one complaint-- such that it is-- is the staffs' lack of what I call "forward thinking".. for example, I take my first cup of coffee with cream. If I ask for a refill of coffee, I would expect that the server either bring a cream/sugar offering (assuming s/he remembers my initial serving) or would ask "would you care for cream or sugar?".. that may seem trivial, and on the surface it is, however, I use is as an illustration as to what I mean by "forward thinking".. anticipating the guests needs-- before s/he ask.
Overall, I'd rate this hotel very good for it's ammenities, room features and cleanliness.. While the level of high(er) end hotels has literally expanded like 10-fold in the past several years-- and the bar is now very high-- I still like this hotel.. it retains some local shanghai flavor without becoming just another gigantic, sterile, business hotel... and the location is very good for walking around and exploring.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank GOPBI
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Stay there very often. Service on the exec lounge seems to depend on the people, some crews are very good, other talk among each other so loud that the guests cannot talk to each other.
Rooms are nice, bathrooms quite small, but OK, no separate shower unfortunately.
Nice job they have done in redesigning the lobby. Just missing the Italien restaurant.
Overall - great

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2009

1.Sound insulation is very bad between rooms. I could clearly hear the person in the rooms next to me not to mention the TV, going to the toilet etc.
2.Strange vibration through the room sometimes like a boom car is passing very annoying – maybe a train, or a cinema but I couldn’t figure it out but it was there and I was on the 22nd floor.
3.Room was very cold when I arrived, outside temperature was 0 celcius and the room about 10 celcius. Put the heating on high and it took about 6 hours to get the room warm.
4.Taxis are a problem – I had read in other reviews and I didn’t think this would be a problem but it becomes one when you stand in a line out in the cold and wind for half and hour waiting for the bellboys to wrangle up a taxi.
5.High pressure sales to upgrade when you book-in that I have never experienced in a hotel before – quite strange but be ready for it.
6.Internet very good.
7.Room service not bad.
8.Staff ok but a little controlling but then again this is China.
9.Kettle in room which was great.
10.Very clean but sterile rooms.
11. The room was not good value also they slipped in a donation to Project Hope in the final bill - I hate hotels that do this. Also, I was silly enough to agree to a room upgrade at checkin but I wasn't thinking straight as I had been on a plane for 38 hours. Did the booking on the internet and then they charge a 15% what i think is a service charge(I'm pretty sure this is not a tax but just a way to charge more without you being aware when you do the booking.)
Cost were
Internet Cyn120

Cost per day Cyn1,556

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I spent 8 days at The Crown Plaza Shanghai, and chose this Hotel as it was close to places I intended to visit during my stay. The Hotel is not located in the Toursit area and is about a half hour cab ride to The Bund and main shopping area of Shanghai (Nanjing Road).
The rooms were modern, quiet and very clean. I found all the Hotel staff very helpful and friendly. The Restaurants in the Hotel are OK, breakfast is the usual buffet, but I found the lunch and dinner menus did not have large choice of food. There are a lot of small independent restaurants close by, and a couple of good massage places to have cheap foot massages, a must after walking all day. Overall a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Compared to a few other hotels I've had to stay in Shanghai, the Crowne Plaza is a good selection.

The location is in a fairly quiet street, near Huating Lu, good for shopping. I was not able to check any of the services the hotel offered, as I was mostly in and out of the hotel late/early, as my schedule was tight.

I had a deluxe room, which was nice but average - the best thing was that I could open the window, not very common in high-rise 4* hotels, so I was able to turn off the aircon and grab some fresh air.

The restaurant serves a decent buffet and some a la carte, although the service is a bit slow and clumsy. Breakfast also offers the standard fare and the overall price (around 100€ all inc) is a good deal for what is offered.

The only drawback was the awful processing of my check out. It took them almost 15min to get my bill printed and, although I had pointed it out, that I neeeded it invoiced to my company, they got it wrong TWICE.

NOTE: The KLM airline crews also stay here.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed at this hotel as part of a group tour of China. I was a little concerned about staying here at first, because on a map it seemed kind of far from the places we'd want to visit in Shanghai (i.e, museums, the Bund, the Pudong area, and the Old Town). One of the advantages, though, of going with a tour group, is that the tour company provides a driver, and although this hotel is too far from downtown to walk there, it took us no time to get there with our driver or by taxi. The location turned out to be pretty convenient actually -- there are number of little restaurants and shops in the area, a convenience store around the corner, a really good gelato shop two doors down, and an ATM right across the street. The other fun thing about this hotel is that some of the elevators have glass backs to the outside of the building, so you can get a view of the area on your way to and from your room. The business center is really nice and open late, which is convenient. The breakfast is good, serving both eastern and western breakfast foods, although the selection was somewhat limited compared to other hotels we used on this trip. The rooms were nice, and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2008