“Average Place”

Ranked #101 of 5,205 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed four nights at the Crowne Plaza during our first trip to China. Overall it was OK. We also stayed at the Traders Hotel in Beijing, which I thought was better overall. The CP rooms need a little refresh - carpet needed replaced, bath/shower area needed redone. We had trouble with one of our rooms that smelled badly of cigarette smoke when we arrived. The staff helped get another room, although it was on a different floor from the others in our family.

The breakfast was not as good as the one at Traders because it had fewer items (baked goods/pastries, breakfast meats, fruit, juices) to choose from. I think this hotel was more geared toward business travelers than tourists. However, we never went away hungry. They use single serving coffee machines which greatly slowed the process of getting a cup of coffee - the machine only produced about a half cup at a time. Sometimes a staff member would offer to get us coffee, but not very often. We usually went to the machine ourselves, which ended up not being a big deal. The ebony juice was really good, but not sure what ebony juice is.

I liked the location of the hotel because it provided easy access to restaurants and shops, so we were able to walk around and see the local area. There are shady characters lurking in front of the hotel soliciting for massages and women, but a simple "No" sent them away.

We had some trouble getting a taxi at the hotel. There weren't any waiting and not very many coming by the area. The concierge seemed confused on how to help get a taxi when I asked him to help. He stood at the door, with us, and didn't go out to the street to flag down a car (we needed three taxis for our group). I eventually went to the street to help flag down a driver.

The concierge had a big book of Shanghai restaurants that was organized by cuisine, which was helpful for selecting where we wanted to go. And, the staff could then fill out a card to give to taxi drivers.

Overall, OK place to stay. No real problems. Rooms could use a little freshening up.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Marta V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear just_da_fax,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We are glad that you like our location. Crowne Plaza opened for business in 1992; about amenities really have slight different. In order to offer guests warmer living experience, we are constantly updating and improving the facilities and equipment. In this process, there may be some details was not perfect. We are very willing to listen to your valuable suggestions and timely to improve the shortage place. In addition, we have new wing with spacious room size and new facilities available.

At last, thank you again for your detailed review and it really help us improve service. Looking forward to hearing from you next time.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Nice hotel in the middle of the city. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The breakfast has a lot of options. Staff is also courteous. 5 mins walk from the metro station. Stayed here for around 10 days and didn't have any problems.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear omamab,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Crowne Plaza Shanghai and for taking your time to write a review about us.

Our team is committed to provide our guests with the highest quality services and we are pleased to read your comments related to our room, breakfast, staff and location.

Looking forward to welcome you any time soon at Crowne Plaza Shanghai.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This is the first time I have reviewed a hotel for a second time. I really feel it deserves a special mention. Yes there are newer glitzier places in Shanghai but this place is so well maintained and the staff are so good I choose it regularly over the others.

The rooms are fine, a little old and small bathrooms but exceptionally well maintained. Wifi is not bad either (not perfect)

But the big reason I love this place so much is the staff. They really are so welcoming and friendly everywhere in the hotel and I really feel they want to go out of their way to help all the time. I have yet to met anyone in the hotel who is not like this.

There is a fantastic blind massage place down Fahuazhen Road for the guy who wanted to know!

Thanks again for another great stay. I'll be back soon!

Room Tip: Higher floor the better - or the new wing if you want to pay for it
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Marta V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear Marraminga,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Crowne Plaza Shanghai and for taking your time to write a review about us again.

Our team is committed to provide our guests with the highest quality services and we are pleased to read your comments related with our people.

It’s motivating to read your comments and your recommendation, definitely, makes our team even more proud of the daily effort to offer great experiences to our guests.

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcome you any time soon at Crowne Plaza Shanghai.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

After spending here several nights within an organized tour, I really mainly do have great memories of this hotel.

+ Room - Slight signs of usage in corners and bathroom, but still very comfortable and quiet. Room in general had enough space and Bed was huge and fluffy. My partner and me slept like babies. TV had some international channels which was fair enough. Shower temperature sometimes difficult to adjust.

+ Food - As part of our package breakfast was included. Everyday very busy, but still very good. Staff usually very attentive and helpful and food tasted mainly good. Nice variety of western and chinese dishes, plus great offer of fresh fruits! Chefs really made an effort by preparing and refilling everything during this busy time!
Also ordered Dinner once in the restaurant and once in the Bar, which both were nicely served and tasted great.

+ Staff - from Concierge to Restaurant staff, everybody was very helpful and attentive. Pointing out Mr. Kyle from the Front desk, who helped me out twice very easy and quickly and the whole staff and band in Charlie's Bar (Ms. Kate) - what a great fun! Mr. Bastian was also a great host, seeing him working day and night. As written, I was greeted everywhere, even from housekeeping staff every day.

- 'Staff outside the hotel' - very concerned about being offered massages and other dodgy things directly in front of the hotel entrance… something the Management should take care of!

- Appearance - You can see that the hotel is old. Exterior is not really welcoming and some areas are not that nice anymore (old carpets, smoke smell). Hope plans to improve those issues are already addressed.

Didn't make use of the swimming pool/gym or other Restaurants.

If I will ever be back in Shanghai, this would definitely be my first choice! Being in Beijing right now, I wish I would be in a Crowne Plaza hotel...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Marta V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Tim B,

Thank you very much for taking your time to give your review about Crowne Plaza Shanghai.

We are pleased to hear we have met your expectations, as well as, to read such a detailed review about our room, our food and services. Thank you once again to help us to improve our services.

Regarding outside people hanging around near hotel, we are working with local PSB to ensure safety & security in the hotel.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future as we wish you to experience the improvements of our Hotel.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

After staying here for years during my annual business trips to China, I have witnessed the quality of staff steadily decline to the point that I will not be back.

Their concierge is a complete joke, unable to recommend a single foot massage place other than the hotel spa. This in Shanghai, perhaps the most famous city in the world for foot massage.

Meanwhile their breakfast staff cannot even pour a simple cup of coffee without assistance, and seem primarily concerned with saying "hello" and "goodbye" to every guest while doing nothing else useful.

Among other things
- Internet speed is a joke
- getting ice is nearly impossible
- suite with full kitchen, yet not a single dish, utensil or even ice in freezer so really no idea why kitchen is there

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Marta V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Dear 773captain,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Crowne Plaza Shanghai and taking your time to write a review about us.

Please allow me the opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Crowne Plaza Shanghai is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services. We sincerely regret we failed to offer you the true Crowne Plaza Experience. Therefore, I will personally make sure that the problems described will be followed up by the related department and won't happen again. Staff service training in concierge and Food & Beverage departments will roll out again.

Your willingness to share your thoughts in our page on Tripadvisor is genuinely appreciated, thank you once again to help us to improve.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future, as we wish you to experience the improvements of our Hotel.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have stayed several times since my client places me here. I am a Platinum IHG member so got an upgraded and renovated room which was quite comfortable. New furniture and comfortable mattress. That's where the good news ends.

The "Deluxe Room" was on the 6th floor - pretty low for a 26 floor hotel. It was also by the elevator shaft which made an unbelievable noise ALL day and most of the night. I needed ear plugs to sleep. The bathroom is very small and no separate shower unit.

There are TWO major drawbacks that mean I cannot recommend this property to anyone.

(a) "High Speed" Internet is a COMPLETE joke. The speed is barely faster than dial-up and the hotel cannot blame the Chinese government for this. It is a MANAGEMENT problem that they have failed to resolve over the years I have been staying here. The management doesn't seem to care by the way since they have made no effort to improve it.

(b) Breakfast is a joke. First, the service staff are robotic. For example, if I asked for a Green Tea, I got nothing. If I asked for a Chinese Tea, I got tea. They are programmed as follows: 1. "If customer asks for Chinese Tea, serve green tea. 2. if customer asks for black tea, serve black tea. 3. if customer asks for anything else, ignore the request". The choice of food is a mess. Basic items for a CP hotel are missing and there is a heavy emphasis on Asian food making it hard for non-Asian customers to have a serious breakfast. There are also not enough seats at peak times.

Smaller issues:

(a) The level of English comprehension of some of the staff is poor. On a couple of occasions we asked for directions in Chinese for a taxi driver and were sent to the wrong place.

(b) For some reason, the hotel allows a rather seedy group of Chinese men looking for male clients for "massage" to stand around the hotel (even inside the driveway) late at night and come up unsolicited and talk to guests. Not acceptable for a CP property.

All in all, Shanghai has a huge choice of great hotels. If I was paying for the room, I would not stay here but elsewhere in the city.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ravenna2006
Marta V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Ravenna 2006,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write your review about Crowne Plaza Shanghai.

We glad that you like our newly renovated room. In addition, the Hotel team is committed to provide our guests with the highest quality services. We honestly thank you for providing us such a detailed description of your experience, as we want to improve base on our guest’s comments.

We truly regret for the incidents you experienced during your stay. Therefore, I will personally make sure that the problems described will be followed up by the related departments and won't happen again. Meanwhile we will launch service training, especially for breakfast.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My sister and I stayed here for 4 nights and I definitely can't complain. The room was very big, the breakfast was great, and it was a very quiet and peaceful sleep. The hotel is pretty close to the metro, so it was easy traveling all around Shanghai from this spot. A lot of places are right off of the hotels train line too (the 10) so we were real close to Nanjing Road and the Bazaar. The wi-fi was pretty spotty, didn't always work in the room, but other then that we had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Marta V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear oldseptblues,

Our team is committed to provide our guests with the highest quality services and we are pleased to read your comments related to our room, breakfast and location.

I would like to thank you as well for bringing to our attention your experience regarding wifi, as with your support we are able to work on these matters, improve our services and offer greater experiences to our guests.

Looking forward to welcome you any time soon at Crowne Plaza Shanghai.

Your Sincerely,