Crowne Plaza Shanghai
  • Restaurant
$150
$144
Hotels.com
All reviewsjiaotong universitynew towerplatinum membernice hotelclub floorbit datedthree nightscomfortable bedshongqiao airportbreakfast buffetlanguage barrierfrench concessionan upgradestandard roomchinese restaurantenglish speaking staffhotel is situated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here recently for four nights, found the hotel to be in a very good location very easy to get to downtown and other sites. found the hotel and rooms to be very clean and modern, restaurant served good food and staff service was second to none.

I would recommend this hotel to other people who are looking to stay in Shanghai.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Crowne Plaza is in the fringes of the Puxi area.
Stayed here couple of times for work several years ago.

Rooms:
Decent size rooms with standard decor and ok tv, in-room drinks.
Some rooms could be smoky.
Apparently, rooms in the "new wing" are better.

Location:
In a residential neighbourhood.
There are nearby cheap places for dumplings, street noodles and flat fried bread(in the morning).
At night, the place becomes more lively and interesting to walk around a bit.

Service:
Service level is ok, staff were friendly but not all speak English.

Overall:
Location isnt that great, doesnt really stand out and hard to pass up the other hotels in Shanghai for this one.

Room Tip: Get a non-smokey room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I had over 18 years experience to travel to Shanghai & it was the worst 5 stars hotel I never seen.

Upon arrived the hotel, 2 Chinese female receptionist were talking in the phone, no smile, no greeting & no response. My wife & me were waited for 5 minutes, finale one of the robot receptionist rationed a room for us. The first smile & greeting was from our floor's housekeeper & maid (My room was on 10 floor).

The room & washroom were old decoration, the mattress springs were fail. The room air condition's fan was noise & like a helicopter cabin at night , even I set it in the low level .

I was surprised that the internet was not free & it cost US$18 per day. By the way, nobody or notice remind us the internet wasn't free until I called the front desk to find out.

Althought the hotel provided Free WiFi, automatic disconnected every 5 minutes. So I give up to use my notebook & used my iphone to check my email in that 5 mins. Finale I found a different way to get my Wifi. There was a coffee shop called Wagsa & face to my room & very strong WiFi signal. Everyday morning, I went to the coffee shop & buy a small cup of coffee & asked them for their Wifi password & it's work good.

The breakfast buffet was included & average. But I thought The chef with a name tag called 'Edmund" need to retraining course "How to fried a sunny egg"!

The bathroom hot watch wasn't hot enough. On 28 May 2012, We had go out & we had an important dinner with our clients. We want to take a shower & my wife need to makeup.OMG! the hotel left a note inside my room & they cutoff the hot water for maintenance from 13:00 to 17:00 pm.

After a 4 days nightmare, my opinion was there was so many new hotels in Shanghai ! Tried the other one but this!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Eddy M
Silvia X, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear Eddy M,
Thank you for taking the time to write such comment. Please accept our sincere apologies for what has happened. The team will be taking this up and rest assured it doesn’t happen again so please give us a chance.
Our hotel has served many customers for over 20 years. The hotel designed in traditional style but well maintained. One of our biggest compliments is the quality of sleep and last year we just changed bedroom mattress. So according to your issue, we will let the housekeeping department to check and get improved on it.
The issue of the internet access charges, I am afraid this can not absolve for all IHG hotels in Shanghai need charge for internet according to Hotels Group policy. If using network cable to get on the internet, our guests will see the hotel toll prompt on the screen at once. Moreover, hotel provides free Wi-Fi for guests to choose. Considering the Wi-Fi signal sometimes will be unstable and shared with all guests stayed on the same floor, we let our EDP department staff to check each room and write the feedback at present, and collect figures together to solve the problem finally.
About the notice of cutting off the hot water for maintenance suddenly, we showed extremely sorry, and we will pay attention in the future to announce the guests earlier. No longer let them feel embarrassed.
At last, thank you for your detailed review and it really help us improve service. Looking forward to hearing from you next time.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed at this hotel first week of April this year, the ambiance is cozy, lobby has a vintage 1920's car displayed. The Cafe serves good breakfast. We got twin beds in our room and bed is comfy, sheets are clean, size of room is ok for us. The amenities are ok, there was even an iron in the closet. The only downside I saw is the water that drip unto the coffee making set drenching the cups & tray. I don't have any idea where that came from. When we came back that night it was cleaned up. Surrounding the hotels are : an eatery on one corner, a convenient store across the street , a small bank and a supermarket ("DIO ") right about 10 mins walk from the hotel.. overall its a 8/10 for us.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ERafanan
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Stayed for one week, the hotel is located conveniently located close to our office.
Room big enough, bathroom quite small. Restaurants and fitness club are ok.
I like crowne plaza, this one is also ok, although not the best one (that is maybe Lijiang).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business