Crowne Plaza Shanghai
$145
  • Breakfast included
$156
  • Pool
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
$162
$110
$154
$106
$101
$86
  • Restaurant
All reviewsjiaotong universitynew towerplatinum membernice hotelclub floorbit datedthree nightscomfortable bedshongqiao airportbreakfast buffetlanguage barrierfrench concessionan upgradestandard roomchinese restaurantenglish speaking staffhotel is situated
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I had over 18 years experience to travel to Shanghai & it was the worst 5 stars hotel I never seen.

Upon arrived the hotel, 2 Chinese female receptionist were talking in the phone, no smile, no greeting & no response. My wife & me were waited for 5 minutes, finale one of the robot receptionist rationed a room for us. The first smile & greeting was from our floor's housekeeper & maid (My room was on 10 floor).

The room & washroom were old decoration, the mattress springs were fail. The room air condition's fan was noise & like a helicopter cabin at night , even I set it in the low level .

I was surprised that the internet was not free & it cost US$18 per day. By the way, nobody or notice remind us the internet wasn't free until I called the front desk to find out.

Althought the hotel provided Free WiFi, automatic disconnected every 5 minutes. So I give up to use my notebook & used my iphone to check my email in that 5 mins. Finale I found a different way to get my Wifi. There was a coffee shop called Wagsa & face to my room & very strong WiFi signal. Everyday morning, I went to the coffee shop & buy a small cup of coffee & asked them for their Wifi password & it's work good.

The breakfast buffet was included & average. But I thought The chef with a name tag called 'Edmund" need to retraining course "How to fried a sunny egg"!

The bathroom hot watch wasn't hot enough. On 28 May 2012, We had go out & we had an important dinner with our clients. We want to take a shower & my wife need to makeup.OMG! the hotel left a note inside my room & they cutoff the hot water for maintenance from 13:00 to 17:00 pm.

After a 4 days nightmare, my opinion was there was so many new hotels in Shanghai ! Tried the other one but this!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Eddy M
Silvia X, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear Eddy M,
Thank you for taking the time to write such comment. Please accept our sincere apologies for what has happened. The team will be taking this up and rest assured it doesn’t happen again so please give us a chance.
Our hotel has served many customers for over 20 years. The hotel designed in traditional style but well maintained. One of our biggest compliments is the quality of sleep and last year we just changed bedroom mattress. So according to your issue, we will let the housekeeping department to check and get improved on it.
The issue of the internet access charges, I am afraid this can not absolve for all IHG hotels in Shanghai need charge for internet according to Hotels Group policy. If using network cable to get on the internet, our guests will see the hotel toll prompt on the screen at once. Moreover, hotel provides free Wi-Fi for guests to choose. Considering the Wi-Fi signal sometimes will be unstable and shared with all guests stayed on the same floor, we let our EDP department staff to check each room and write the feedback at present, and collect figures together to solve the problem finally.
About the notice of cutting off the hot water for maintenance suddenly, we showed extremely sorry, and we will pay attention in the future to announce the guests earlier. No longer let them feel embarrassed.
At last, thank you for your detailed review and it really help us improve service. Looking forward to hearing from you next time.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed at this hotel first week of April this year, the ambiance is cozy, lobby has a vintage 1920's car displayed. The Cafe serves good breakfast. We got twin beds in our room and bed is comfy, sheets are clean, size of room is ok for us. The amenities are ok, there was even an iron in the closet. The only downside I saw is the water that drip unto the coffee making set drenching the cups & tray. I don't have any idea where that came from. When we came back that night it was cleaned up. Surrounding the hotels are : an eatery on one corner, a convenient store across the street , a small bank and a supermarket ("DIO ") right about 10 mins walk from the hotel.. overall its a 8/10 for us.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ERafanan
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Stayed for one week, the hotel is located conveniently located close to our office.
Room big enough, bathroom quite small. Restaurants and fitness club are ok.
I like crowne plaza, this one is also ok, although not the best one (that is maybe Lijiang).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ericDalian
Reviewed April 11, 2012

This is my fourth stay at Crowne Plaza Shanghai. I chose to stay this hotel primarily because of its location (e.g. about 20 minuts to the Bund with no traffic) and it's quite close to my office.

Having said that, the hotel itself is not particularly impressive. Here are a few examples:

1) It was a rainy day during the summer of 2011. I was going somewhere in a hurry but only to find out it rained cats and dogs. Whilst each of the hotel room is equipped with an umbrella, I forgot to bring mine and so I asked the concierge for one. The concierge staff at the time was very impolite and quite rude to me informing that each room is equipped with an umbrella. I ended up back in my room in order to get the umbrella.

2) In my most recent stay (in March 2012), I was caught by surprise when I was told that coffee or tea is no longer included with dinner buffet purchase! This is something I was least expected from a 5-star hotel worldwide.

3) I stayed in the new wing, i.e. the executive tower, thus was privileged to have breakfast in the club lounge. However, for a few mornings, there was only a staff member working during peak business hours (around 8:30). As a result, she was all thumbs! For example, she was not aware that the place was run out of plates and coffee cups until I informed her, and I needed to wait for almost 10 minutes before my eggs were served.

4) In-room wifi internet connection was not good. I tried to connect to the internet using my cell phone but unfortunately it did not work most of the time. This was quite frustrating.

5) The room service menu did not offer a wide variety of foods. Furthermore, I ordered ice-cream a few times, but every single time it was melted by the time it was served.

As such, I would only recommend this hotel if location is your top priority.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank VRhames
Silvia X, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Dear VRhames, Thank you for taking the time to write such detailed review and we do sincerely apologize if we let you down. We appreciate your complaint about the service, and we will arrange more training to help our staff increase service skills and show more care for our valued guest.
For the WIFI internet connection we will let IT manager to check each rooms to ensure that hotel guest can get through the Internet regularly.
At last, we are so appreciate you choose our hotel and submit so valuable advice to us. Thanks also your good comments on hotel location. We will constantly making progress for improved services.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights on our tour of China. The first and last night and it was easily the nicest hotel we stayed in. The rooms were nice, clean, modern. Although the pool was under renovation/maintenance both times we were there the rest of the facilities were brilliant. I am usually happy with just a clean place to stay as all I usually do in a Hotel room is sleep between adventures and meals but a nice place is still a nice place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family