City Hotel Shanghai
$235
$187
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfrench concessiontwo metro stationsthe hotel is conveniently locatedspeak englishnanjing roadwalking distanceeasy accesspudong airportbuffet breakfastshanxibrekfasttaxi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The best thing about the City Hotel is its location in the French Concession. Within walking distance are any number of bars ans restaurants.Taxis in Shanghai are very cheap and for 20/30 yuan you can get to practically anywhere in the city.
True, there is a big refurb of the exterior going on, so my recommendation would be to book and executive room as they are on higher floors, and are above the work going on. We stayed on the 22nd floor and heard nothing. Other friends stayed on lower floors and found the noise and the lack of light annoying.
Some of the rooms on the lower floors have been updated, our room though an executive was a bit worn, but it had everyting a guest needs, and was spacious and immaculately clean.
All the staff are very friendly, and there is usually one or two people on reception who can speak English and help out with any enquiries or problems. The breakfast was excellant, a huge variety of both Chinese and Western breakfast staples, and the coffee was the best I tasted in China.
If you fancy a nice glass of wine, I'd recommend Le Vin on Jinxian Road - take a left outside the hotel onto Shanxi Road and its the 2nd street on the left. The wine is pricey, but there is a lovely atmosphere there, the staff are very friendly and helpful, and you get a little selection of cheese and salami with your wine. The Citizen Bar next door is good too. Also, just across the road is a really good hairdressers- it is run by a guy from Singapore and he speaks excellant English. 5 of us went to get our hair done there on a sunday morning as we were going to a wedding- they will also do manicures. reasonable prices too.
I would also recommend Lost Heaven, a restaurant specialising in Yunnan cuisine. They have two restaiurants in Shanghai, one at 38 Gao You Road in the French Concession, and the one we went to at the Bund- 17 Yan An E Road, Shanghai. The decor is outrageously opulent and the food is quite simply divine. I can't recommend it highly enough. Try the Roast Pork wrapped in banana leaf....

Room Tip: After the end of Sept when the exterior refurb is finished I would recommend a room on the 10th floor as they have been updated and decorated to a high statndard.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mervynn
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I was informed at check-in,very efficient by the way,that the Hotel had renovation work going on.I would have thought it courteous of them to tell me this when I made my reservation just two weeks before.The Kango's kicked in about 7.30am,no problem there as I'm an early riser,and continued until about 5.30pm.Other than that the City Hotel met my needs for a four night stay.Ten minutes walk to the wonderful Shanghai Metro and in close proximity to many restaurants and bars.The area also has some nice tree-lined lanes full of interesting shops and cafes.
The Executive Room was rather small,had I not been travelling alone it would have been uncomfortably small.With too little storage space,but perfectly maintained by Housekeeping.The bed was very firm,just how I like it,and the wi-fi was by Chinese standards,very reliable and included in the room-rate.The breakfast was below the standard I've come to expect of a four star Hotel and was a little greasy and samey..The Executive Lounge was another dissapointment,apart from tea and coffee,only between 2.00pm and 10.00pm,not much to recommend it.The Staff were efficient,pleasent,smart and well versed in English.Every request met with a smile and prompt service.
Overall I'd say that this is a perfectly adequate Business Hotel but less attractive to the leisure traveller

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank fourfourtwo
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Actually the exterior of the hotel is under restoration so is not possibile have any view and during the day could be a little noise.
Apart this temporary problem the hotel is an average 4 star hotel, with normal size room, but for sure quite old like furnishment and decoration.
The price deserves more the position of the hotel than the rest, so if you are not really interested in the position you can just skip this hotel and pick something other, maybe with more services.
Anyway inside you can find a swimming pool and several restaurant, but few walk around and you are in one of the most popular road in Shanghai: HuaiHai Road; so will be say satisfy any different taste.
Near the hotel you can find also a supermarket and the subway station. A private park is available on the ground.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank MrDago
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We were travelling across the China by last 3 weeks and this is definitely not four star hotel. We stayed sometimes in 2 star hotel, but we had better service and accommodation then in this one. Maybe there are restaurants and other business amenities in that hotel, but air-conditioning is set up centrally and you are not able to adjust temperature in the room. It is set up to 21.5 Celsius degree, so like for me it was to high. Outside temperature during the night was 11 Celsius, but I wasn't even able to open the window because there was sealing tape around and there was scaffolding outside around whole building. When we asked for help with air-conditioning they send somebody who doesn't speak English and that person just switched off the air-conditioning in our room and then temperature gone up to 23 degree. We had Deluxe room with internet included in the price, but we were told during the check-in that we need to pay additionally 60 RMB per day, if we need access to internet. After our complain to manager we finally get free access to internet. This is definitely not what you expect from 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PatrykF
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Cozy business hotel with great staff and an excellent breakfast restaurant. There is also a Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse on the fifth floor if you're craving a good steak, french wine or a hoegarten. The bartender can make just about any drink.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business