“What a view!”

Broadway Mansions Hotel
Ranked #184 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Even without the amazing view from my 12th storey Bund-view room, I would have counted myself totally satisfied with my stay at the Broadway Mansions. This was a heritage hotel that, for me at least, delivered all that it promised. The room was large and the bed was huge and firm. I loved the room decoration. The bathroom was magnificent. The breakfast included in my room rate was better, I thought, than similarly priced Shanghai hotels. Like other reviewers I found the bellboys helpful and courteous. The location is quite magnificent -- the Bund is just across the bridge -- but there's quite a lot more to see in the Hongkou area of Shanghai, an easy walk or a metro ride away. But the view really made me feel like I'd arrived, the extra cost something that I could easily justify to myself.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank CanberraSteve38
There are newer reviews for Broadway Mansions Hotel

Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed in a deluxe river view room which was well worth the extra money for the view, especially at night and also in the morning even though it rained whilst we were there and it was a bit misty. Staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke good English.
Room was a good size and bed quite comfortable and loved the feather pillows! English bar was quiet when we went but had a big snooker table and lovely staff to talk to especially if you are on your own.

Room Tip: River view room worth the extra money for view especially at night
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank copjon55
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Great location near the bund, great views especially from the rooftop bar. Good size room and bathroom too , bath robes and slippers. Breakfast buffet was substantial. The room service was all right. The downside is their beds, it's true they are not comfortable but they aren't horrific.

Room Tip: Request the views facing the pearl tower , although the view on the other side with the church ain...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Our stay at this hotel was fine, nothing spectacular about the hotel itself, but the view from our room was breathtaking.

The front office and lobby staff were professional and pleasant but aloof. We found a lack of local knowledge a bit surprising; perhaps the language barrier did not help but a couple of staff in particular were offhand when questioned about local sights and directions. The bellboys were always friendly and approachable, some concierges a little less so!

The room facilities were fine, two huge double beds with the usual rock hard mattresses, comfy chairs, opening windows, working adjustable air con, large plasma TV.

The bathroom looked fine but on closer inspection it was a little shabby, missing tiles on the ornate mirror, hairs in the bath, abundant use of silicon, but by now we had travelled long enough through China to expect different standards. Both the sink and bath were broken in that they were not able to be closed. We requested they be fixed and a fellow turned up, had a look, said he would be back, and did not return. It took another phone call the next day to get it fixed. The safe was also not working and had to be repaired. When we were able to have a bath we turned on the hot water tap and when we went back a few minutes later to add cold water we found the bath filled with cold water. It turned out that the red and blue markings on the bath tub taps were only stickers and were on the wrong taps; this could have caused a nasty burn if someone had turned on the tap with the blue sticker. We immediately switched the stickers!

Breakfast was included and it was ok. We had had a number of hotel breakfasts during our trip and this was the least favourite. There was not a lot of variety and what was in bain maries was cold or lukewarm, the staff looked bored, and one chef periodically walked through with an apron on which looked like it belonged on a busy butcher it was so stained!

Check out went smoothly, our bags were kept in a secure area until we were ready to go to the airport.

Note that free wi-fi is only accessed in the lobby, you have to get a print out code every 40 min or so and it is frustratingy tear your hair out SLOW, better to go to a cafe and enjoy a coffee while you use your ipad etc

A week earlier we had stayed right across the street at The Astor Hotel and we preferred it overall.

Room Tip: Pay for a bund view room, level 10 or higher
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LydiaNSW
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My daughter loved the bellboys who waited by the elevators and entrances. They were so helpful and courteous, and their uniforms were very old-school and cool! THe hotel itself is very old, but still in very nice condition. Our room was lovely with excellent linens and amenities, and it was VERY spacious! The location is pretty good, but next time we'll try the French Concession (hipper area). That said, it was only a taxi ride away from everything in the city. The front desk folks were also very helpful, and we got an exception deal through our travel agent (CITS) for about $100 per night.

Room Tip: We wanted a view of the Bund but they were more expensive. Still our view of the roof tops was fine.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Pomegranate99
Reviewed September 19, 2011

This is in a great location and if you get a river view or Bund view it's pretty spectacular. Having stated that, I opted for a better deal with just a city view room no breakfast. I was actually travelling with a friend who also took a room alone, which meant one room rate was with breakfast for two, so it's certainly a way to save. Try expedia- they seemed to have the best rate, even better than the hotel's advance purchase. The hotel is pleasant enough, although there's a real try hard feel to the rooms decor wise, with way too much going on in the rooms (especially the smaller ones) which actually makes them really cluttered. There is no way one needs a two-sided desk, a huge armchair, coffee table and a huge foot stool in a small double room. You can hardly move. BUT, it's tidy and clean, with a comfortable bed. The level of English isn't great in the hotel, and whilst I am not a fan of people insisting EVERYBODY speaks English, I do think for a hotel that promotes itself heavily to Western guests, then the level of the language needs to buck up a bit. The problem here is that there is often misunderstanding and incorrect information given. I didn't use any of the hotel facilities or restaurants (except for Breakfast) so I can't comment on anything there, but I will say that the Breakfast is an experience that you just have to go with. Hard to get a table if you get there much past 8am (unless you wait until the very end of Breakfast) and often the tables were not cleared (we had 3 breakfasts there and it was the same on all the days), and once anything gets depleted, it's a bit of a search and wait for it to get replaced: coffee, cutlery, cereal, milk, juice. Be patient however, and be friendly, and it will come eventually. However, given that my room was only $66 AUD a night (Expedia) it was an amazing deal for a hotel of this standard. The general ambience is lovely. the location is great being basically at the start of the Bund (and don't be worried about being on the other side of the bridge - this is a SMALL bridge that takes about two minutes to cross and then you're on the Bund). It's also a very safe location, and perfect for an evening walk along the magnificent Bund.

Room Tip: City view rooms are the best value, but city view is pretty wide a description - it's not exactl...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Zaubie
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in September 20011 after booking online. The location is just a couple of hundred metres from the Bund and it is just a great location. The staff were fantastic, spoken English was great and the room was stunning.

My friends and and I booked 3 rooms, one person in each room. We booked standard city view rooms with no breakfast or internet. On checking in we were offered upgrades to river view rooms, including breakfast and free internet for around US$50 per day - GREAT VALUE! The room I got was STUNNING!. two huge verandahs one looking over Shanghai City, the other looking right down the Bund and across to Pudong. This is a view hotels can only dream of having and you would pay 5 or 6 times more for in nearby accommodation.

My only two faults are minor. Like all Chinese hotels breakfast food is often just warm, rather than hot. However the selection was just superb, and the seating excellent. Secondly in the English bar on the first floor, they have beer from Belgium, America, Ireland, Holland, China and possibly other places too. However they didnt have a single British beer.

Funnily enough my friends and I thought the hostesses in their short tartan skirts more than made up for this absence. If you need a Boddingtons (my favourite English beer), just go out the front of the hotel, turn left and then left at the corner and about 50 metres away is a bar with a big boddingtons sign outside.

This hotel is great value, with a great team in a great location. It will be my only hotel in Shanghai in the future. I already have my next trip planned and cant wait to get back.

Room Tip: Take the upgrade if offered!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends