“Smokey rooms far from city centre”

Atour Hotel Hongkou Dabaishu
Ranked #1,531 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Smokey rooms far from city centre”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I came here for a work conference, obviously not my choice and was horribly disappointed. The hotel was OK but the whole experience was completely ruined by the fact that I was given a smoking room. They were unable to change my room due to the hotel being full so all in all my experienced was incredibly average. I hated going back to my room, everything I packed smelled of smoke when I got home and I felt dirty all the time while I was in Shanghai. We tried to make it better using the aircon and/or opening windows but once that smoke is in the soft furnishings, it's hopeless really.

The food was very average as was the location. There is nothing around this hotel except a myriad of roads/highways/byways so if you are going to Shanghai to SEE Shanghai, be prepared to Taxi around a lot if you stay here.

The front desk wasn't very helpful, of course we didn't speak Chinese (even though I believe when you visit a country you should learn some of the language, it's impossible to learn all of the Chinese language and alphabet in a couple of months) and we really struggled to gain assistance. They weren't very patient either, which was disappointing. If they want to host a conference of english-speaking people, they should be a bit more patient, otherwise don't host us.

All in all it was adequate, better for business than tourism, but I wouldn't stay here again and I certainly do not plan to recommend this hotel to my clients.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Splash135

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Shanghai, China
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have stayed in this property for more than 6 times. Everytime its always a pleasure. Location is little off bit overall, but since I have work in that area, its works well for me. Its a fantastic proporty. Staff is very friendly. Lobby bar is nice and relaxed. Rooms are spacious and its always a value for money staying at Lansheng, Shanghai.

Room Tip: Highway facing rooms are best view. Road over Road view gives you a fantastic feeling of staying in...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Dips_KOTNIS
nottingham
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We stayed here on the first and last parts of a trip around China. Location wise, it wasn't the greatest in terms of proximity to major tourist attractions like Nanjing Road, The Bund and Financial Centre and if your lingusitic skills were as limited as ours you're less inclined to venture into the surrounding area as it is not a tourist spot. The hotel was a bit dated but rooms were comforatable and clean. Facility wise it wasn't the greatest. When you ordered a drink at the bar, the staff went in to a separate room to fetch them and it took an eternity to get served. Buffet breakfast was fine and offered good choices. There's a restaurant in the hotel but you're probably better venturing outside and trying other restaurants although it would be a taxi journey to the main tourist hubs. We were fortunate that we had a guide accompanying us so we found our bearings a little easier but we wouldn't recommend the hotel if you are travelling independently and struggle with the local language.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We had two seperate stays here, 2 nights, then 1 night. This was far the best of our hotels whilst in China.
More like a five star. Great views, from floors 13 and 14.
Very spacious bedrooms, and en suite. Sufficient breakfast, and a reasonable evening meal.
Don`t forget to produce your room card in the bar, and resteraunts, 15% discount applied.
Very helpfull staff. Great choice of hotel.
Situated near our version of Spaghetti junction, but still able to get around locally very easilly.
Taxi to the `Bund` etc, only £3.

Room Tip: High floor, excellent views.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kthdex
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Hotel was average, but locaton was a bit far out from the main attractions. 15-20mins walk to metro station. When you get of of the hotel, take a left and cross the road. Walk down the road, past the petrol station which should be on your left.
Taking a taxi otherwise was not expensive but with the traffic takes forever.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Zurich
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Our room was pretty old but clean. On arrival we were upgraded to a big suite, which was a nice surprise, still they should refurnish the rooms.
Breakfast was ok, nothing special though. The staff were not very friendly or helpful, a mix of not understanding and not caring.
The hotel is far from everything, but a taxi ride to The Bund costs only about 25RMB, very cheap.
I think you can find a better hotel for the same price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Summit, NJ
Reviewed June 26, 2009

I stayed here on a freind's recommendation that this was closer to the "real Shanghai". I was not disappointed. The rooms were very nice - not 5* - but 4*+. Breakfast buffet was very, very good as well as the coffee served during breakfast time.

The hotel is about 400M from the Metro so it was fairly convenient. If you feel like taking a stroll, the #3 line is about 1KM away. Best of all, the staff was very accomodating and they do speak english and they are very helpful.

All in all, a very good stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo