“Phenomenal: A Once-in-a-lifetime-experience”

Ranked #8 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai
“Phenomenal: A Once-in-a-lifetime-experience”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I surprised my fiancé with a stay in the Japanese Suite (Room 620) for his birthday. The Japanese Suite is one of the "9 Nations Suites" the hotel is famous for and since my fiancé loves Japanese Architecture I thought this would be a great surprise.
While the room was obviously expensive, it was worth every Cent. Or every RMB. It is an absolutely GORGEOUS suite. The interior decor was incredible and the view of the Bund from our room was breath-taking.
The hotel surprised us with a birthday cake and a free bottle of wine, which made the birthday surprise perfect.
My fiancé loved the room, the idea and everything. It was a perfect day/night that we will never forget.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Louisa V,

On behalf of our entire team here I would like to sincerely thank you for coming to stay with us and for sharing your outstanding feedback. I am extremely delighted that our colleagues provided you with such warm and engaging service that you will be coming back to see us. We are so happy that you decided to share your special occasions with us. That is what it is all about and I will look forward to thanking our team.

We sincerely hope that you will be able to return to Shanghai and we would be so happy to have you back.

George Wee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We recently stayed at the Fairmont Peace Hotel for 4 days after concluding some business in a nearby city. Our stay was a fantasy trip to a past era in Shanghai. The hotel has been beautifully restored and we spent several hours examining and photographing the historic architectural details. In search of the hotel's history, we visited the small, but interesting, hotel museum on the mezzanine. The Dragon Phoenix restaurant is an opulent "Chinese" Art Deco masterpiece. Breakfast in the Dragon Phoenix overlooking the Bund and the Oriental Pearl across the river was a visual delight. The newly renovated rooms were comfortable and of very high quality. The staff were typical of Fairmont staff - courteous, friendly and knowledgeable. The wi-fi in the room worked well (free for President's Club members), although access to some services and websites is restricted, as in the rest of China.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the Bund - the views are spectacular and bustling during the day, spectacu...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear BarbaraJM,

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback on your recent visit to our iconic property. We are very grateful that you chose to come and stay with us and I will look forward to sharing this with our entire team here.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 6, 2014

The Fairmont Peace Hotel is in one of the most ideal places in Shanghai--directly on the Bund whose only drawback is the continuous flow of tourists making it quite noisy. Luckily the Fairmont has windows that are about 80% soundproof in my estimation. The hotel is historic, modernized and plush. The service, especially the Executive Lounge staff and room attendants, are top notch. It is not the service like in Singapore but close. I attempted to eat in the Chinese cuisine restaurant which was not pleasant. It was too complicated for me. Then I went to the Western cuisine restaurant whose food was poor quality. I had the pasta and complained about its taste and preparation which the hotel was kind to take off of the bill. I decided to have a facial massage in their extensive and luxurious spa. I splurged for the nearly $200 USD jade facial but was surprised that the esthetician did not work on removing any facial black heads which was I later found out upon check out was an optional add-on for around $35 USD I believe. If you upgrade to the Executive floors option, then you have access to the Executive lounge for continental breakfast (excellent), afternoon tea (very good) and evening happy hour (very good). Would I stay here again? I would probably try another luxurious hotel option in Shanghai or a boutique.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Marco P,

I would to thank you very much for choosing to come and stay with us for your most recent visit to Shanghai. I must extend my most sincere apologies for your experience however as I can assure you the impression this has left with you is nowhere near the culture of service that we work so hard to achieve.

Obviously your feedback is deeply concerning and I can assure you that when shared with the particular teams that you have highlighted we will ensure that it is understood and taken seriously for improvements.

On the other hand I would like to thank you for highlighting the great service you experienced during your stay and I will look forward to sharing that with the team.

General Manager.
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The hotel has been completely restored to the highest standard. This historical landmark structure has been the landmark of Shanghai in its hay days, and continues to be so in this modern era of the city. By keeping it to the high standard, Fairmont management has done a favor to the city for keeping this magnificent structure alive. The hotel's 'gold level' guest are pampered and are treated truly like VIP's. The breakfasts and snacks in the lounge are comparable to the creations of the starred restaurants. Equally well done are the varieties of foods served to this group of clientele. The rooms at this level are spacious, furnished with quality furniture, and stocked with the top class amenities. It is worthwhile to stretch one budget to upgrade to the gold level room. The hotel is located in the best of locations, neighbor to the walking street Nanjing Road East, where all kinds of shops and department stores are located and the Bund that is known in the whole world. It is convenient to get to all parts of this gigantic city. The view at the top floors overlooks the Bund and is so beautiful at night that it takes your breath away.

Room Tip: Choose a 'gold level' upgrade. It is worth the extra dollars, and you will not regret it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear vsylum,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing to stay with us and I am absolutely thrilled that our team has provided such great service to you. I will very much enjoy sharing your feedback with the entire team and I thank you for this opportunity.

We are absolutely so lucky to be taking care of such an iconic property with unbeatable location in Shanghai. We certainly hope that you will finding the next opportunity to return very soon and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Wishes,

Hong Kong
Reviewed August 4, 2014

First time to stay at the fair mount and unfortunately only for one night, but it was a truly nice encounter. Travelling so much for work I'm spoiled and actually not easy to impress, but the genuinely kind staff that seems very proud of being part of the fair mount group and the long history of this place left an extraordinary impression on me.
If you're looking for some European luxury flair in a rather understated, silent manner, absolutely worth staying there out of all places on the Bund.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear lz_helen U,

Princeton, New Jersey, Usa
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai for 6 days, and the entire stay was extremely comfortable and memorable. The hotel itself is beautiful, with wonderful old-world charm and appointments, and every member of the staff is gracious and most helpful. The location is perfect - on the Bund. Early morning walks across the street along the promenade are refreshing, and the evening strolls - with the iconic skyline illuminated - are magical. We would definitely stay in this hotel again when we next visit Shanghai!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob T
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Bob T,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to sincerely thank you for coming to stay with and as well for sharing your experiences. I am delighted to see that our staff provided the warm and engaging service that you should expect from us and I will look forwarded to sharing this and thanking them for a job well done.

We certainly hope that your travels will bring you back to this great city and we will look forward to being of service to you once again.

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Definitely a landmark hotel in a superb location near to the shopping areas, eateries and the bund. Having been to several countries in Europe and Asia, the service personnel we encountered are among the best. Special thanks to Diane and Simon for their warm hospitality and pleasant personality. They are ever ready to make your day and smiley, a rare find in this modern internet age. Room is of a decent size and nice. Love the dual sink and the old shanghai songs played in the bose system when we checked in. So apt with the deco and ambience fo the room. Will definitely stay there again when we next visit shanghai.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Ap9969,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to sincerely thank you for coming to stay with us at our iconic property.

I am especially delighted to see that Diane and Simon were able to make a very special impression on you during your stay with their above and beyond service and I will look forward to thanking her personally. These are exactly the type of stories that we want to share with our people and continue to build our service culture.

We hope that you will be able to find your back to our property and we will greatly look forward to showing you our warm and engaging hospitality once again.

Best Wishes,