“A Historic and Wonderful Hotel”

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #9 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Fairmont Peace Hotel on June 5 and 6, 2014 and wish we could have stayed longer. What a wonderful hotel this is! It is probably the best hotel I have every stayed at. The hotel is located on the Bund and it is a half-block walk from the hotel to the Bund. Our room was very large, quiet and comfortable. The bathroom was HUGE! It looked like the hotel had been recently remodeled and they combined two large room for the room and bathroom with a short connecting hall that had closets, a dressing table and a safe. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. The espresso style coffee machine was excellent and we had delicious coffee every morning.
The bathroom had a very large tub that accommodated two adults with a hand-held shower attachment. There were two sinks on a large marble counter and all of the fixtures were clean, modern and worked well. The mirrors were large size, well-lit, and it was easy for shaving and putting on makeup. In addition to the large, claw-foot tub, there was a separate shower area and a separate toilet area with a frosted glass door. They had all of the standard lotions and soaps but they also had two new toothbrushes with tooth paste and a shaving kit with shaving soap and a razor. They also provided a hair dryer.
The hotel is very historic and, I think, was called the Cathay Pacific at one time. In the hallways off the lobby area, there are pictures of famous people that have stayed at the hotel during a period prior to WW II up to the present. There is a cozy bar right off the lobby that plays jazz music in the evening and I think is famous. Down one hall is a small cafe that serves coffee and pastries. We didn't have time for it, but the pastries looked delicious.
The lobby also has a large domed room with raised carving murals of the historic buildings in the surrounding area.
This is a beautiful hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear john07_11,

I would like to extend my most sincere appreciation for you choosing to stay at our iconic property. This really is such a truly special building with so much history and unique designed that it goes unmatched in Shanghai.

As stewards of such a unique hotel we work very hard to respect it with the best possible service. I am so pleased that you took full advantage of your time with us and experienced all of our very unique and special offerings.

We hope to see you again in the near future. Until then please take care.

Kindest Regards,

George Wee

Write a ReviewReviews (2,129)

Reviewed June 21, 2014

This is my second visit. The location on the Bund is great. Although my room faces a busy street, it was sound proofed. I love the idea of walking into the room and they have old Shanghai music playing on the Bose system. It lends a great sense of place and nostalgia. The Fairmont Gold room is very nicely decorated, it has a walk-in wardrobe and a spacious bathroom with a decadent bathtub that I wish I had time to luxuriate in. The reception team is always helpful and welcoming and I like the Royal Touch button on the phone where I just press and ask all sorts of questions and they seem to have the answers.
It's nice to sit and have a delicious pastry at Victor's and watch the hordes of tourists walking by. I had a business lunch at their Dragon Phoenix and the young chef came out to carve the Peking duck with such a flourish that I had to take a video of his 'performance'. The crispy duck skin was delicious. Don't forget to have a drink and catch their old jazz band in the evenings.
All in all, this is a luxurious hotel with many little nice touches and amenities in the room and an efficient team of staff.

Room Tip: I was twice assigned rooms facing Nanjing East road and I didn't have issues with traffic noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Suslika,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing to stay with us on 2 occasions now and I am absolutely thrilled that our team has provided such consistent service to you. I will very much enjoy sharing your feedback with the entire team and I thank you for this opportunity.

We are absolutely so lucky to be taking care of such an iconic property with unbeatable location in Shanghai. I certainly hope that we will be seeing you again and I would like to invite you to alert me at George.wee@fairmont.com so that I can ensure everything is ready for your return.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I am doing my annual review of the Fairmont hotels across the world and want to provide a warm commendation to the historic Fairmont Peace Hotel. I am a T4 member (regular guest at Fairmont hotels) and want to let you know the service, cleanliness and location make the Peace Hotel the best of the best. A special thanks to Julie on the Fairmont Gold Floor that made my stay especially pleasant.
Paul Blom 3247182600

Room Tip: Fairmont Gold Floor has excellent service and great rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear paul b,

What an absolute pleasure it is to be seeing your feedback. It is so great to be able to hear from our loyal guests and I know that entire team, especially our Fairmont Gold team will be excited to receive this. I would like to thank you sincerely for this.

We are greatly anticipating your next visit. Please keep me posted at George.wee@fairmont.com as well so that I can ensure we have a chance to connect.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 20, 2014

This was probably my 3rd time to stay in this wonderful hotel. I just find the location very convenient right on the Bund. The hotel also has a long history, giving it a lot of significance in the local social scene. This was restored and renovated and is now managed by the Fairmont. It has maintained its old-world charm but at the same time introduced modern comfort and convenience to today's travelers. I find the room luxurious and elegant, very generously spaced and tastefully decorated. The beds are so comfortable! When I checked in, I had a nice fruit arrangement, welcome card and a plate of chocolates from the hotel management. Nice touch indeed. Wifi was also very reliable and fast. Thank goodness for my FPC membership that allows me this convenience. Check in and checkout were very smooth. Breakfast buffet up on the 8f is very sumptuous, and it has everything from Asian favorites to western staples. Did I mention about the stunning views of the Bund? It was excellent. The hotel is so conveniently located that it only takes a few steps to be by the Wangpo river and be amongst the hundreds of tourists taking breath-taking, post-card perfect, photos of the popular Shanghai skyline. I highly recommend staying at The Fairmont Peace the next time you visit Shanghai either for business or pleasure. May the Peace be with you...

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the lift as the hallways can be confusing. Take lots of pictures in the lobby...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Dear Octoberians,

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your most recent stay with us. It is especially rewarding when we get to hear from our loyal guests like yourself and I know our entire team here will be excited to read your great feedback

We are looking forward to your next return and I would like to invite you to alert me directly at George.wee@fairmont.com so I can welcome you back personally.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

One of the Emperors of Shanghai - The Peace hotel is really Grand - fab location just off the Bund. Beautifully designed rooms, though a bit like the Canadian Fairmonts. Friendly staff and very helpful. A great terrace for evening parties overlooking the Bund. A feeling of old world charm of Shanghai.

Room Tip: Fairmont Gold Rooms are very good, even though with inner views. The hotel has suites after many cou...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Arvind_Meera,

We are absolutely delighted to read your outstanding feedback and we are very proud and happy to see that your visit will leave lasting memories for you.

I will look forward to sharing your feedback with the entire team and we are eagerly awaiting your return so that we can show you our warm and engaging hospitality once again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 18, 2014

The staff at this hotel is so fantastic. If you get an option to upgrade to the Executive Lounge, it is a must. Great food, service and drinks. The concierge service is also handy. I stayed in a suite, and it was the best suite I have stayed in. The hotel is located right off the Bund and is central to anywhere you want to go.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear Galen U,

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your most recent stay with us. It is especially rewarding when we get to hear from our loyal guests and I know our entire Fairmont Gold team will be so happy to receive this.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed at the Fairmont Peace Hotel for 4 nights in May. The location couldn't be any better -- right on The Bund and close to everything. Lots of shopping and restaurants close by and the metro is about a 5 minutes walk away. The service was fantastic and the room was really nice. This is an iconic hotel, so the property itself was a tourist attraction -- we especially enjoyed the on-site museum. If you get a chance to visit Shanghai, I definitely would recommend staying here. We will be back.....one day.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear RoseApple 9,

We are absolutely delighted to read your outstanding feedback and we are very proud and happy to see that your visit will leave lasting memories for youwith our unbeatable location and service to match

Kind Regards,