“Excellent hotel”

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #9 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed two nights in room 131. The room was just great. I loved the Espresso machine especially. What I found most excellent though was the friendly service that let you forget that you are staying in a hotel but rather with friends.
Nevertheless our stay was a bit indifferent. On the first morning for breakfast everything was great but on the second morning (Qingming Sunday) there were so many people that the staff was not able to handle this. The food supply was really slow and I was a bit disappointed. Nevertheless I enjoyed my stay and can hardly imagine a better hotel to stay in when being in Shanghai.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear BryherS,

On behalf of the entire team here I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us.

I am really delighted to read that our staff was so attentive to your needs and provided the engaging service you should expect from us. On the other hand I would like to apologize for the breakfast experience you have shared. I will certainly work on this with our team here to improve consistency.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Peace Hotel

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is one of the true Gems of Shanghai, lots of character, great service, great location and great food. Stayed five days and enjoyed every one. Upgrade to Exec floor if you can, service is impeccable, especially Simon and Sandy. Don't miss a night in the Jazz Bar, same group playing since 1980, eldest player is 92, hope I'm that active at that age. Try it out, you won't regret it.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Allenhkg
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Allenhg,

I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing to come and stay with us at our iconic property, we are absolutely thrilled that you had a memorable experience enjoying the world famous Old Jazz Band and our wonderful staff.

I will surely take the time to personally thank Simon and Sandy for their outstanding service to you. Thank you for that opportunity.

Finally we hope that a return to Shanghai will be I the future for you and we would be so thankful to be able to welcome you back.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Only spent the one night here but it was a real treat, visited the jazz bar, had a cocktail, amazing service and staff and loved the coffee machine in the room..... have I said breakfast was excellent as well.
I'll return next visit :-)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear Anne-Marie M,

I would like to extend very sincere thank you for choosing to stay at our iconic property during your visit to Shanghai. We are absolutely thrilled that your overall experience is one that will leave lasting memories with you.

We are also very excited to see that you will be planning a return to Shanghai and I would greatly appreciate if you were able to alert me when you have booked so I can great you and make sure you have everything you need.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Exceeded my expectations which is hard to do considering ME. Hotel is in a great location. Our room was very comfortable with all amenities. We had access to the Club Lounge which I paid extra for, but was worth the price. All employees friendly, courteous, speek English well and very helpful. If you are looking for a great experience in Shanghai, I would recommend you start with the Fairmont Peace Hotel. And, do try the restaurant at the top--great food and view.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Perry A,

We would like to thank you very much for coming to see us and for also taking the time to share this great feedback. We are absolutely thrilled that you had such a memorable experience. I will make absolutely sure to thank the Fairmont Gold team for their warm and engaging service to you.

Also I am very happy to know that you experienced our Cathay Room Restaurant & Terrace on the 9th floor. Its views of the Bund and Pudong Skyline are unbeatable and our Executive Chef Nicholas Blair has engineered a truly fitting menu for such a great venue.

We hope to see you again in the future so we can show you are warm and engaging hospitality once again.

Regards,

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at the Fairmont Peace hotel after returning frpm our 8 nights cruise which is ended in Shanghai. We got our WOW feelings at the moment we entered the hotel / museum lobby and greeted by excellent and friendly staffs.
As a member of Fairmont President Club, we used our a room upgrade certificate and after he check in formality, we were guided by a front office staff to go to our room nr 500 located in the 5th floor / no view. It was another WOW feelings though as we reach the room decorated with lovely art deco, a big 2 queen size beds, big writing desk and sofa, a separate toom for dressing, coffee machine and tea in room, a separate super deluxe bathroom with two separate sink and a small TV mounted inside the wall in front of the bathtub!!The only missing things is that there are no enough drawers to place your belongings or clothes except to hang all your clothes. It was really a gorgeous and luxurious room to stay.

The location of this hotel is very central to all touristic areas and easy to walk around such as the Peoples park, a short walk down Nanjng Road east, and the Bund sightseeing tunnel to Pudong, is just across the road to the Bund promenade and not to forget SHOPPING and the Pedestrian Mall..Please be aware that the main street East Nanjing road is fully packed with local Chinese and foreign tourist especially during the weekends!!It was much nicer to walk during the working days.

The Victor's Deli (we visited twice) is very cozy nostalgic place to visit in the evening for a nice cup of coffee and excellent desserts.It was also fun to see so many peoples are walking in the Nanjing East Road but they will also staring at you when you are sitting at the window side while enjoying your coffee and desserts.
It was another WOW feeling when we visited the 11th floor called Nine Heaven and enjoyed the fantastic view of the Bund by night.

Overall it was an exceptional stay in a classic old beauty hotel located in the heart of Bund area and so far, the best ever Fairmont hotel we stayed. A recommended place to stay when you are visiting Shanghai for leisure.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Budi_KN
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Budi_KN,

On behalf of the entire team here I would like to extend our most sincere appreciation for you choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experiences.

We are absolutely thrilled that you could enjoy the art deco design and charm of this iconic property. I will look forward to sharing your story with my team here and recognizing them for taking great care of you during your stay.

We certainly hope that you will be returning to Shanghai and we would be delighted to be able to welcome you back to our iconic property.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Its more than a hotel, its a living story and i would highly recommend experiencing it for yourself. Everything related to the stay was excellent: welcome, room, dining. Terrace of the restaurant with views of Pudong is amazing spot for a drink.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Janis_Kalninsh,

I am absolutely thrilled that our colleagues were able to treat you in such a personal and engaging manner and I will look forward to thanking them and continuing to build on our service culture.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My wife and I who live in China (but different city) got a chance to spend an evening at the Peace Hotel and it was exceptional. Unfortunately my wife was ill and we didn't have the best time, but it was entirely unconnected to the hotel. The style had a 1920's Shanghai feel but was done in the best possible way. The detail in the rooms was impeccable, with a great blend of solid materials (no cheap chairs or tables here), great style, and consistent design. I presume each room has differences and I noticed that there were suites that were specialized suites (like the Indian Suite). The breakfast setting was memorable, with the buffet being adequate, but the room being spectacular and service splendid. If you are looking for a hotel that is not like all the rest, but surely to please, this is absolutely it. I hope we can go there again when my wife is feeling well.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paul f

Dear paul f,

We are so delighted that you were able to enjoy our special and unique property during your most recent stay in Shanghai. We are truly blessed to be taking care of such an iconic property that has been completely restored and updated, while holding to its art-deco design and even its world famous Old Jazz Band.

With reference to the Indian Suite, yes we do certainly have many very unique suites that are unlike anything Shanghai has to offer. In fact they are called the Nine Nations Suites and are made up of the Indian Suite, China Suite, American Suite, UK Suite, Spanish Suite, Italian Suite, French Suite, Japanese Suite and German Suite. Each suite is so uniquely and elegantly designed in the traditions of each country it represents. I would love to show some of the others we have on your next visit.

That being said we do certainly hope we will see you again. Please alert me when you have booked and I will look forward to welcoming you back and ensuring the team takes great care of you.
Best Wishes,