“Classy - very enjoyable experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont Peace Hotel

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #5 of 4,971 Hotels in Shanghai
Ottawa, Canada
“Classy – very enjoyable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I arrived in the evening at the Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai. The Bund was overflowing with Chinese nationals celebrating Golden Week, their National Holiday that lasts for a week, starting October 1st. The Peace Hotel is located right at the center of all the festivities. Thankfully the Hotel management knew that it would be very difficult to reach during these celebrations and made alternate arrangements for guests arriving at the hotel.

They were in contact with us via email and had arranged to pick us up in town at another hotel located some distance from the celebrations. We took a taxi to the designated hotel and waited for the Peace Hotel car to pick us up. We were then driven to the Peace Hotel using side streets and alleyways, all very exciting. This little exercise was designed to save us time and money as the traffic was at a stand still for most of the evening. We read in the paper the next day that there were over three million people out and about on the Bund that evening.

Check-in was fast and efficient. We had a package deal that included a deluxe room and breakfast. The room was a nice size, very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very large.

Given the crowds outside, that night we ate at the roof top restaurant, the Cathay Room. The weather was so mild we decided to have our meal outside on the terrace. The view of the Bund was fabulous and we could see all the crowds that had amassed for the celebrations, as well as the tourist/party boats that were all lit-up and going up and down the Huangpu River in front of the hotel. The atmosphere, food and wine were very good. We enjoyed it so much we eat there again the next night.

We also tried the Dragon Phoenix Restaurant, specializing in Cantonese cuisine. The food was very good but expensive. The atmosphere and service were first rate. This is also where breakfast is served. The breakfast was OK, the food and selection were good.

The concierges were, friendly, very helpful and knowledgeable. We asked them for restaurant recommendations in the evening and had them make reservations. Their recommendations were always great places to eat and we ended up with prime seating at tables by the window.

We stayed at the Peace Hotel for six days and were always treated well. The staff is very friendly and always trying to be helpful. The hotel is in a good location on the Bund, close to public transportation, shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Steven_B390,

It truly gives me great pride and pleasure to read your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us at our iconic property. Being able to share your feedback to our team will help me to truly show them how much we appreciate all of their hard work and service provided to you and all our guests.

Your experience really speaks to what we strive to achieve for all of our guests and these comments will allow us to share the story and continue to inspire our team to always do more for our guests.

We sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back and showing you our warm hospitality once again.

George Wee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
East Coast USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was here on business last week and had a large suite on the Club Level. The staff in this hotel was outstanding, kind, gracious and efficient. Tim and Simon in the Club deserve special attention for being remarkably professional and yet warm and inviting. They brought us drinks, hot tea and good advice about the city. Wanted a reservation at a local hot spot and they went out of their way to try and reserve it. When it wasn't available they called other places within walking distance (without my prompting). It all worked out fine as we were able to walk to the restaurant and just eat in the bar. But what impressed me was their willingness to make it right. I appreciate that level of service.
The location is great. I go to Shanghai 3-4 times a year and usually stay further out from the Bund. But being down where all the action was, and where some terrific restaurants and bars are located made this trip more interesting. My daughter and a colleague were along so it was great to be within steps of good shopping and meals when my meetings were over.

All around a great experience. Comfortable beds, good coffee in the room, beautiful bathroom and spotless rooms. It is a big property so I am always impressed when it can be kept clean and up to par. We will return!
Thanks.

Room Tip: This is a very historic hotel so both local Chinese and foreigners tend to gather in the lobby and a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Manymiles2010,

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful feedback about your experiences at our iconic property.

I will take great pride in recognizing Tim and Simon from our Fairmont Gold team for providing outstanding service and anticipating your needs during your stay.

I certainly hope that you will find your way back to Shanghai so that we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

What a thrill to stay in such a landmark of history. The rooms are excellent- the bathroom is enormous, although the claw footed bath a logistical problem for a short traveller like me. Breakfast overlooking the Bund was perfect and the 9th floor restaurant also had great service and fine food. Just note though that prices are steep- particularly for drinks- so take care in ordering. The jazz bar and band are atmospheric rather than high quality, and the minimum spend doesn't apply to house guests. Join the Presidents Club for free internet. We missed out on the hotel tour as it had been booked by a tour group which was a shame. Location is brilliant. walk along the Bund in the early morning and see people flying kites (with great pride) and doing tai chi. The hotel gift shop had some lovely things and a good selection of books. Highly recommended for a splurge.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank radicalseven
Dear radicalseven,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent experience at our iconic property. We are absolutely delighted that your overall stay was excellent and one that you will remember.

I will look forward to sharing your feedback with our team and we certainly hope that you will find your way back to Shanghai so that we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Fairmont Peace Hotel offers the perfect location with great rooftop restaurant views of the spectacular Shanghai skyline. Gold Club Fairmont service absolutely impeccable, great breakfasts, and a real oasis amidst the bustle of Golden Week crowds. Comfortable spacious rooms, great menu choices, and a beautiful pool. Shopped at Yu Garden Bazaar, along Nanjing Road, and found fabulous shoes at Cobblers, all within walking distance. Felt perfectly safe as Typhoon Fitow blew through the second day.

Room Tip: Go for a quiet inside room - you can see the view from elsewhere - but heard the Bund street rooms a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear RonaldCanada,

I would like to truly thank you for taking the opportunity to write such wonderful feedback about the details of your experience with our hotel and our colleagues. It will give me great pride to share this with the team here and recognize them for a taking great care of you and your family.

In particular I am very pleased to see that our Fairmont Gold team provided outstanding service to you during your stay and you were also able to enjoy many of Shanghai’s amazing sights.

We truly hope that you will find your way back to Shanghai for another visit and we will look forward to providing you our warm and engaging hospitality again.

Regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

What a wonderful place to experience the Bund and Shanghai! Perfect location, room (and bathroom) to die for - anything and everything a person could possibly wish for in a hotel. We were also travelling with Avalon tours and I agree with sj2000_ 10 comments. Unfortunately my travelling partner was quite ill while in Shanghai, so spent a good part of our stay there in bed in the room, but as I told her, if you are going to be ill in Shanghai, this would definitely be the perfect place to recover. We have the beautiful Fairmont Royal York Hotel in Toronto where we live, and it too is a wonderful, classic hotel. I highly recommend it to everyone who visits Shanghai and want to experience one of the nicest, classiest hotels I've had the pleasure to stay in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JadoreParis10,

I am absolutely delighted that you had such a memorable experience during your stay at our iconic property while in Shanghai. I want to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with your fellow travelers and for also allowing me the opportunity to share your feedback with the entire team here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel.

I hope that your travelling partner has been able to recover and is feeling much better. I trust that our team was able to show care and concern and ensure that everyone was comfortable.

We will look forward to hopefully welcoming you back and showing you are warm and engaging hospitality once again.

Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

It's a hotel not to pay more than $200 per night, so if you get that rate for the season or whatever, ok, you will have a service and facilities accordingly, but if you have to pay more, please avoid this hotel. It is a very old building, so it's like a labyrinth and it is in fact difficult to reach your room. The lobby is very nice, but it's not cozy, it's not to hang around or to spend a little bit of time there. It is even uncomfortable when your are waiting for the rest of your party. The place itself is an attraction of the city, you can look at it in this very web site, so when you enter to your hotel (after the crowds in the street), tourist are still there, you still meet them in your own lobby and thus there are not the typical areas where you want to chill out after a long day strolling around.
Our rate (almost $500 the night with the taxes) did not include breakfast, so we had it for a couple of days in the coffe shop downstairs, Victor's, but let me tell you, we payed about $200 for 5 persons... literally for sandwichs and the food was far from great.
The concierge is good but I had the impression that service people were not around all over the hotel, as you might expect in a hotel charging this prices.
The windows in the rooms are very small, so you feel constricted and the rooms are nice, but in my opinion small.
I would deffinitely not recommend this hotel; my party and I did not like it unanimously.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank alejandroisaac
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear alejandroisaac,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us although it is disappointing to hear you did not have an enjoyable stay.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues you encountered further with you and as such, invite you to contact me direct by emailing me at george.wee@fairmont.com

Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

A unique Art Deco hotel, with lots of charm, and ideally located both for the views on Pudong and on the Bund, and for touring Shanghai on foot. The rooms are beautiful and the public spaces amazing - all recently renovated. Service is very friendly. The reception is stunning. The pool is not huge but very classy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seasondtraveller
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Seasondtraveller,

On behalf of the entire team here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel I would like to thank you for coming to stay with us during your time in Shanghai.

We are absolutely delighted that you had such a memorable experience and were able to take advantage of our unbeatable location and warm hospitality.

We hope that you will find your way back to Shanghai and we look forward to being able to welcome you back.

Kindest regards,