“Superb Service and Hotel Experience”

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #7 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore
“Superb Service and Hotel Experience”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

A must for any guest who wants the best service in Shanghai. The staff are very helpful. They are true professionals yet most friendly. The doorman, Andy is always smiling, making you feel extremely welcome.
The concierge staff, like Peter is always there to give you good advice on places to visit and restaurants to enjoy. He even prints out the name and address of these places, get the bell hops to hail the taxis for us. The cabs were readily available to the guests and cab drivers were carefully briefed to ensure that we get to the right destinations, always.

The guest relation staff, Lily and Ginny are exceptional. They provide my family with excellent information on whatever we need. When my daughter started her university education at NYU Shanghai, Lily was encouraging and supportive. When we first checked in, Chloe was there to ensure that all our booking and arrangements were in order, explaining clearly the different facilities that were available.

Of course, the oldest jazz band in town was most entertaining. A visit to the bar is an activity you must not miss whenever in Shanghai. They had the best moon cake display, with four different stunning moon cake containers.

The rooms were stunning in deco. Each room has its own coffee machine, with ample supply of individually-packed coffee and tea (both Chinese and Western).
The bath tub itself is unique with separate shower room for you to enjoy. All the facilities were modern, with our own DVD player, in case the 30 odd TV channels were not suffice.

They also had one of the best spa facilities. The therapy staff, Gigi and Lily were well-trained, explaining every step of the treatment, ensuring that our tired bodies were well-massaged. My neck-ache and overworked shoulder blades were instantly relieved after the treatment and my wife's lower back pain feeling so much better.

Fairmont Peace Hotel is truly a world-class experience in every way. My family and I will certainly made this our preferred hotel whenever we are in Shanghai.
Being trainer and consultant in customer service, I can truly say: Superb Service Experience. Thank you so much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear JohnNg54,

Wow.. I feel truly humbled and appreciative to read such wonderful feedback on our iconic property and especially our service.

I cannot thank you enough for taking your time to share with the travelling community how this property and our staff have been able to create such memorable experiences for you. In particular I can assure that I will take the time to personal thank Lily, Ginny, Chloe, Gigi and Lily from our spa for providing such engaging and memorable service to you.

We are greatly looking forward to return to the hotel in the not too distant future and until please take care.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Hotel is pure luxury and the beds were like sleeping on clouds. We stayed with our 2 kids in a room with 2 queen beds. (I checked this was ok with the hotel prior to booking as the room type states the max no. of guests is 3). The space was more than adequate and there was no need to use any additional bedding for the 4 of us. The room also included a sofa and a desk. The bathroom was huge and included a freestanding bath complete with TV as well as a shower, separate toilet. There were a lot of classy touches like slippers, bathrobes, fruit plate and a coffee machine with pods, though not really enough milk supplied unless you take it black. The location is great being on the corner of the Bund and Nanjing East Rd so right at the heart of the action. There is a convenience store called Family Mart within a 7 minute walk (go down Nanjing East and turn right at the first street). However, if your kids are sick of Chinese food there is not much western food within a 15 min walk apart from a Starbucks. The air-conditioning is great which is a real consideration when it's 42 degrees outside and often the air con in the shopping malls can't cope with such temperatures. We stayed on the 5th floor and there are more corridors & rooms than the Forbidden City - you almost need a map to find your way from the elevator. Despite this, the service still feels personal. Overall, the hotel is all 5 star class apart from the internet which we found to be very frustrating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Daytrippers004,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent experience at our iconic hotel. I am very happy that your overall stay was a memorable one and I also want to thank you for keying in on a few details in your experiences that will allow us to follow up and improve.

I will look forward to sharing your feedback with our team and we certainly hope that you will find your way back to Shanghai so that we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Excellent location. Stunning rooms, especially the grand bathrooms. Friends said they thought the hallways were a little small and dark, but I like that historical kind of feel. Service is very impressive here, and I thought set the hotel apart. The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. They got me a cab in the pouring rain within one minute! The pool and gym are quite small, but they were empty when I used them, so it was okay. It is very expensive, however.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sienna P,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us at the Fairmont Peace Hotel. I greatly appreciate this opportunity you have given me to be able to recognize our colleagues for providing outstanding service to you during your stay.

I certainly hope that you will plan a return to Shanghai and our colleagues would greatly appreciate the opportunity to show you our warm and engaging hospitality once again.

Bangkok
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Fairmont have done a stylish job at renovating this icon. We had a suite overlooking The Bund. Very tastefully decorated and attentive service. Quit a contrast from the Fairmont in Makati last week. Thumbs up for this hotel! I will certainly come back here!

• Stayed August 2013
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear andrewheard,

I am absolutely delighted that you had such a memorable experience during your stay at our iconic property while in Shanghai. I want to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with your fellow travelers and for also allowing me the opportunity to share your feedback with the entire team here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel.

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and showing you are warm and engaging hospitality once again.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Staying at the Peace Hotel in Shanghai is like participating in history and it is evident as soon as one steps into the just past the lobby where a towering dome lightens the a huge anteroom. We signed up for the club lounge where complementary continental breakfast, a traditional English tea is held from 2-4 and hors d’oeuvres from 5:30-7:30 PM. A cook is there from breakfast to prepare eggs and in the evening to prepare the selection of the day. The food is both delicious and creative. The staff is superior and this well-seasoned traveler has not experienced any better.

Location could not be better just across the street from the Bund and the Big Bus the on-off bus that tours the historic Puxi central area. It is also close to the ferry which travels to the Pudong area across the river running along the Bund.

Our last visit to the hotel was marred by extremely loud music on a Saturday night from a bar adjoining the south side of the hotel. The music was blaring well past 4 AM. Even with my hearing aids out the music was too loud for me to sleep and of course my good hearing wife was suffering more. I donned a robe and traipsed down to the lobby and asked to see the manager. Shortly a young man appeared and during our conversation it was revealed that yes, there is a law against such a disturbance but efforts on the hotel’s request to have the police do something have not been successful. I offered a direct question, “So the police are corrupt?” And I considered a direct and frank answer to be welcomed. “Yes” was the answer. The manager offered to let us move to another quite room, but I declined as the effort was not worth the move. Thankfully the music finally stopped about 4:30.

The next day the staff was very apologetic and confirmed they are helpless to do anything about the music. However, the next visit to the hotel we were promised a quite room and to show their appreciation for our business, they threw in a substantial upgrade.

As I write this my wife and I are enjoying a suite on the quite side of the hotel. Such effort is well appreciated.

Room Tip: Stay away from the south-west end of the hotel during weekends.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Thor13,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with regards to your recent stay with us. I greatly appreciate this opportunity you have given me to be able to recognize our colleagues for providing outstanding service to you during your stay.

I also appreciate your feedback with regards to the noise disturbances you experienced. It is very nice to see that our colleagues were able to respond with care and empathy in this situation.

As mentioned in your response we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future where I am sure our team will be well prepared to take great care of you.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our sincere thanks to the staff and management of this hotel for making our three day stay so memorable. We will never forget the kind and courteous members of staff who greeted us by name and made us feel special with their gracious manners. In particular we would like to personally thank Cecilia, who went our of her way on our arrival to suggest how we could best spend our time in Shanghai and to recommend tourist destinations and activities. The concierge on duty during our stay is also to be commended. He would arrange taxis and provide us with address cards to enable us to communicate our destination and return to the hotel. On one particular night, when it was raining, he even offered to send a car to pick us up if a taxi was unavailable. Service such as this is rare in today's world and the Fairmont are to be congratulated for running such a fine establishment. I also found the rooms in this hotel outstanding. The air-conditioning was a 10/10 and shielded us from the incredible heat wave being experienced by Shanghai during our stay.The bed was incredibly comfortable and the room facilities on offer first class. We honestly cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. We would not hesitate to stay their again and ins so far as we are concerned it is the only place to stay - Paul & Anthoula

Dear Paul P,

On behalf of all of the colleagues of the Fairmont Peace Hotel I want to sincerely thank you for sharing such wonderful feedback with the travelling public on your recent stay with us.

I will take pride in expressing my thanks and appreciation to the entire team and in particular Cecilia and our Concierge teams for making wonderful memories for you. I truly feel your experience reflects our service culture and values and it will be a great story to share with our team to show them what they are all capable of with each and every guest.

We truly hope that it will not be long before we can welcome you back, and I hope that you can send me a note in advance so that I can assure I have a chance to meet you and thank you in person.

General Manager.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed August 8, 2013

From start till end (or as you wish; from check in to check out) this is a total wow experience. Ofcourse the location can't be beaten that's a fact. The service is so great that one might forget that this hotel is one of the best renovated properties in China and with a history that is hugh. From the Fairmont gold lounge to the Jasmin Jazz Club, from the lobby to the Willow stream Spa facilities and from the concierge to the housekeeping staff all were superb. Can't wait to come back to this great example of hospitality!!

Room Tip: You might want to consider a room facing the Bund. We stayed at room 522 (suite) however have seen m...
Dear HJKCUTCH,

It give me great pride and pleasure to be able to receive wuch wonderful feedback and we are all so excited to know you had a memorable experience. I want to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with your fellow travelers.

I also greatly appreciate that you were able to enjoy so many of our wonderful services and outlets from our world Famous Jazz Band to our renowned Willow Stream Spa.

I will be looking forward to the opportunity to share your feedback with the entire team here. We will look forward to hopefully welcoming you back upon your next visit to Shanghai.