“This place is amazing!”

Ranked #8 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
British Columbia
“This place is amazing!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Right on the Bund this old hotel is well kept and well managed. Staff are courteous and efficient. The Fairmont rooms are definitely up to Fairmont standards - why these high end hotels don't have comfortable seating in their rooms and their lobbies I'm not too sure, but otherwise no complaints.
The breakfast buffet is in a different wing that we were in, meaning having to go down one set of elevators and up another. The buffet was not spectacular but the pastries were very good.
This hotel which was built in the very early 1900's has great architectural features inside and out. It's location on the Bund allows for access to many tourist experiences including the hop on hop off buses, the boardwalk along the Bund and easy access to many shops and restaurants on Nanjing Road.
As a Fairmont President's club member, internet was free and while the first two nights were part of our tour, the reservations desk was accommodating, giving us three more nights of bed and breakfast for the price of two.
Front desk staff was friendly and helpful.
Cleaning staff was quick and efficient.
Consider this as a possibility for your Shanghai home. There is every reason that it rates so high on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear downeyb,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent experience at our iconic hotel. I am very happy that your overall stay was a memorable one and I also want to thank you for keying in on a few details in your experiences that will allow us to follow up and improve.

I will look forward to sharing your feedback with our team and we certainly hope that you will find your way back to Shanghai so that we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

George Wee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jalandhar, India
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is right in the middle of shanghai city attractions..all Shopping areas are very close to this hotel.. Service of this hotel in all areas is excellent. The best moment was the rooftop party it was mindblowing. And the management of this hotel is very very good. I stayed hare with my other trade colleagues and everybody enjoyed very much

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear sanjeevsharma1072,

We are very happy to know you had a memorable experience and I want to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with your fellow travelers. I will be looking forward to the opportunity to share your feedback with the entire team here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel who all worked so hard on the International Luxury Travel Mart reception.

We will look forward to hopefully welcoming you back upon your next visit to Shanghai.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Absolutely loved this hotel, from the moment we walked in. Located right on the bund with excellent views and easy access to the city. The rooms were amazing and service was excellent. The Jazz Lounge downstairs was a fun way to end the day. There are also some delicious authentic food places on the block to the rear of the hotel for a low-key dinner or a late night snack (like us). My family loved this place.

Room Tip: Obviously, see if you can choose a room facing the bund. Talk to the conceirge about tickets...very...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MickellP
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear MickellP,

We are very happy to know you had a memorable experience and I want to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with your fellow travelers and for also allowing me the opportunity to share your feedback with the entire team here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is a hotel which has a lot of history, charisma and a magnificent location to boot. This is also the hotel I chose to propose to my girlfriend and without doubt, it was the perfect location to do it in. I booked the Cathay Room Restaurant as the place to "pop" the question. This restaurant and specifically the Terrace and Private Balcony has a romantic view of the Bund and Huangpu River. I organised this through Rio Chen who was terrific help in trying to cater for my needs and the style of the proposal that l I was looking for. It did not disappoint. The hotel also contains the Old Jazz Bar, which gives it that old town feel, perfect for creating a good mood. For a special occasion, this is definitely the place in Shanghai to choose.

1 Thank bpnz
Dear bpnz,

What a pleasure it is to be able to respond to your wonderful feedback and also have the opportunity to extend our sincere congratulations on your engagement. We could not be happier here having had the opportunity to take part in such an important and special moment in your lives. Turning moments into memories is what we are all about and I this is a memory of largest scale. Congratulations again.

We will hope to look forward to celebrating every anniversary with you.

Arizona
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Formerly called the Cathay Jazz Club, it is located in the recently remodeled Fairmont Peace Hotel built in 1929 by Victor Sassoon. The band, which plays nightly at 7:00 PM, is not much, musically speaking, but the historic value of the building itself makes the site worthwhile to visit. We were there on a Saturday evening from 7:00 PM until 10:00 PM when a contemporary pop group took the stage. About half of the audience appeared to be foreign tourists. The Old Jazz Band began each set with a straight march then did a few jazz standards, such as “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now,” “Slow Boat to China,” etc, but at least half of the tunes were Latin or non-jazz pieces. All in all, it is quite a formal event; the musicians do not attempt any rapport.
with the audience and, as I discovered, do not accept requests.
The hors-d’oeuvres, of which we consumed many, are delicious. Cocktails, beer and wine are offered. You can expect to spend not fewer than US$100 for two for the evening.
To use the restroom one must apply to one of the door attendants who will unlock the facility.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear OldsolArizona,

We are very happy to know you had a memorable experience and I want to thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with your fellow travelers. We are very lucky to have one of the greatest treasures in Shanghai with the Famous Jazz Bar. I will look forward to shareing your feedback with the entire team here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Not only is the hotel extremely well-located, but everything about it is wonderful. The room is spacious and luxurious and they could not have done more for us to make our stay excellent. The concierge Lily Li was about the most helpful I've ever encountered with just everything. This is what a hotel experience should be.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear lulupearl,

On behalf of the colleagues here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel I would like to extend our most sincere appreciation for you taking the time to share your experiences here. In particular it will give me great pride and pleasure to recognize our Lily for making your stay so memorable.

We hope that we can welcome you back in the near future to show you are warm and engaging hospitality once again.

Osaka, Japan
Reviewed May 28, 2013

traveled with my mom.great locacion and good facility.
I didn't take a tour there organized our trip by ourself asking concierge at hotel.
they speak English very well but information was not very aculate...I assumed they are relaible.
room service for cleaning was not perfect. Good breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mika U,

I would like to sincerely thank you for coming to stay with us at our iconic property and for also taking the time to share your feedback so that we can work on fine tuning our service. I greatly value your insight on the services you experienced, and I can assure that we will take the time to follow up and take advantage of this opportunity.

I sincerely hope that your travels will bring you back to Shanghai in the near future and I we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to show you our warm hospitality once again.

General Manager.