“Home away from home in Shanghai”

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #7 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
San Francisco, California
“Home away from home in Shanghai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Fairmont Peace Hotel is in one of the most charming and beautiful buildings in the world with an excellent Staff. They looked after our large group of 8 daily as though we were among family. Everyone went out of their way to offer knowledgeable and insightful ideas for shopping/ sightseeing in the city as well as day trips to quaint water towns. Spoke English fluently for those of us who didn't understand Mandarin. Even set up a private dinner for us all in the Gold lounge with delicious food catered in when we forgot to make reservations on a busy Sat evening. Convenient location, luxurious rooms/baths and beautiful spa /pool area made it a pleasure to come back to everyday. Have been to many world class hotels so can say this one is on my most memorable list and will certainly be back again with more friends and family. Highly recommend.

2 Thank Jeanette C
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Jeanette C,

I would like to truly thank you for taking the opportunity to write such wonderful feedback about the details of your experience with our hotel and our colleagues. It will give me great pride to share this with the team here and recognize them for a taking great care of you and your family. In particular I am very pleased to see that our team was proactive in finding excellent alternatives to meet your needs during your stay and provide a “WOW” experience for you.

We truly hope that you will find your way back to Shanghai for another visit and we will look forward to providing you our warm and engaging hospitality again.

Regards,

George Wee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We spent 4 nights here in early January. With an interest in old Shanghai I was very excited to stay in what had once been "the" place to stay in pre-war Shanghai. It had recently been renovated and the outcome is excellent. It's worth coming in to check out the lobby and bars even if you don't stay. We had a fantastic suite but there was a bit of a mix-up on check-in so do be careful. The room we'd booked was about 200US per night but at check-in the receptionist asked if we wanted an upgrade to a presidential suite for another 100US per night. We agreed since the room had a view of the Bund and was great for viewing the new year's eve fireworks without having to stand in the freezing cold! However, at check-out we were presented with an absolutely enormous bill which equated to an additional 400US per night. After a bit of an argument we compromised on price and everybody saved face but if they do have any "offers" on when you arrive make sure you verify the terms. The restaurant is nice but there are much better ones in Shanghai. Breakfast was utterly chaotic as there were too many guests for the tables provided and so looooong queues. Get up early or eat elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Edwin and Kitty N,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I would like to thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding our restored iconic property however I am also concerned regarding your experiences with breakfast and billing for your stay. I will ensure that we take the time to reflect on this feedback and take the appropriate steps to make sure we provide the best in luxury hospitality in all aspects of the stay.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Fairmont Peace Hotel in the future so that we can show you our true hospitality.

Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

It's a pity, because it is one of the most charming hotels in the world, beatiful building, rich in history, but the service staff is really killing it. I have stayed three times during the last year and as much as I want to love it, I just cannot.

Last time I was with my in-laws to show them Shanghai. Reserved two rooms at Fairmont's website. When we arrived, later than 14:00 o'clock, the stated checkin time, they told us that the rooms were not ready, and were not going to be in a long time. Not only they didn't apologize, but the solution they offered me was to pay for an upgrade to two suites, that were ready. After some huggling (huggling, in a 5* hotel!!!), they agreed to upgrade one of the rooms for free, where we could stay and wait until the other one was ready.

As minor as it seems, they didnt put in our room the usual plate of fruit (which they routinely do), I suppose because we didnt agree to pay more at the checkin.

And just, when we were leaving, at checkout, the price was higher than what we booked. As I was more or less expecting it, I had my email confirmation prepared, so they backtracked and changed the bill to reflect the right price.

In the end, you really dont feel here like you should in such an awesome surrounding. It is a pity, and Fairmont should look very carefully at their staffing in China. It is definetely not up to their standards.

1 Thank Tomas C
Dear Tomas C,

I would like to Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. I am very disappointed to read these details on your experience with your arrival and departure.

I want to assure you that we spend much time and focus on ensuring that these absolutely critical service experiences are at their best, and I will personally follow up with the related departments to ensure we learn from this.

Finally I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss with you in further detail. As such, I invite you to email me direct at george.wee@fairmont.com

Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We did not stay at the Peace Hotel but enjoyed coffee and cake at Victor's Cafe, named after the first owner, Victor Sassoon. The atmosphere was wonderful and service impeccable. We actually went there twice, as we went back with some friends when they arrived a few days later. The public areas of the Peace Hotel are beautifully restored in the Art Deco style. There is a fascinating gift shop full of beautiful items and we bought a book about the buildings and history of The Bund.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BrisbaneTraveller2
Dear Brisbane Traveller2,

I am so delighted to hear that while staying elsewhere in the city you were able to come by our iconic property and enjoy some of our atmosphere and delights in Victors Café. I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and impressions of our beautiful property and outstanding staff.

We truly hope that on your hopeful return to Shanghai you will choose to stay at the Fairmont Peace Hotel.

India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is one of the nicest places we've stayed in. Any hotel can have cookie cutter comfort and luxury, but the Fairmont Peace Hotel has character.
It starts off with the lovely incense scented lobby. You need to use your key card in the lift - and it gives you access only to your floor. The corridors to reach the room are a little confusing, but we found the myriad ways to reach your room fun.
The room is gorgeous - huge, super comfy beds, a big dressing room, and a royal bath. The attention to detail extends to the espresso machine, and the fine china in the mini bar, and gourmet teas and coffees. The service is amazing - when they realized we were travelling with a little child, they gave my son a miniature robe to wear in the room- he was so thrilled!
Dining - buffet breakfast in the Dragon Phoenix was tasty and fresh. We had dinner in the Cathay room with its lovely view. The range of delicacies was good.
I wish I could have stayed there for a couple of days more.

1 Thank gypsybloood
Dear gypsybloood,

I am absolutely delighted that you had such a memorable experience during your stay at our iconic property while in Shanghai. I want to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with your fellow travelers and for also allowing me the opportunity to share your feedback with the entire team here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel.

We will look forward to hopefully welcoming you back upon your next visit to Shanghai.

Kindest Regards,

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 5 days and the experience was amazing.... Right from the arrival experience to check in to room service .... All the way long. The hotel people were really helpful every time I asked for help... Never say no attitude... They go out of their way to help out... I even had some one escort me to the ATM machine one night... World class service... Would recommend this hotel again and again ....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ramasamy_n,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us at the Fairmont Peace Hotel. I greatly appreciate this opportunity you have given me to be able to recognize our colleagues for providing outstanding service to you during your stay.

I certainly hope that you will plan a return to Shanghai and our colleagues would greatly appreciate the opportunity to show our warm and engaging hospitality once again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Fairmont did a wonderful job in renovating the old iconic Peace Hotel. The rich Old Shanghai art deco-ish decor was faithfully preserved in all of its new designs. The rooms, spa, and common areas all exude a most upscale ambience.

My wife and I, together with a few relatives, all stayed on the Gold floor for a week. The service we received at the Gold concierge and lounge was among the best and the warmest we have ever experienced anywhere, even compared to the likes of Four Seasons and Amans.

I rarely review, however in this case, I almost feel obligated to.

1 Thank Tom C