“Victor's Cafe”

Ranked #7 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Brisbane
“Victor's Cafe”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We did not stay at the Peace Hotel but enjoyed coffee and cake at Victor's Cafe, named after the first owner, Victor Sassoon. The atmosphere was wonderful and service impeccable. We actually went there twice, as we went back with some friends when they arrived a few days later. The public areas of the Peace Hotel are beautifully restored in the Art Deco style. There is a fascinating gift shop full of beautiful items and we bought a book about the buildings and history of The Bund.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BrisbaneTraveller2
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Brisbane Traveller2,

I am so delighted to hear that while staying elsewhere in the city you were able to come by our iconic property and enjoy some of our atmosphere and delights in Victors Café. I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and impressions of our beautiful property and outstanding staff.

We truly hope that on your hopeful return to Shanghai you will choose to stay at the Fairmont Peace Hotel.

George Wee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
India
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is one of the nicest places we've stayed in. Any hotel can have cookie cutter comfort and luxury, but the Fairmont Peace Hotel has character.
It starts off with the lovely incense scented lobby. You need to use your key card in the lift - and it gives you access only to your floor. The corridors to reach the room are a little confusing, but we found the myriad ways to reach your room fun.
The room is gorgeous - huge, super comfy beds, a big dressing room, and a royal bath. The attention to detail extends to the espresso machine, and the fine china in the mini bar, and gourmet teas and coffees. The service is amazing - when they realized we were travelling with a little child, they gave my son a miniature robe to wear in the room- he was so thrilled!
Dining - buffet breakfast in the Dragon Phoenix was tasty and fresh. We had dinner in the Cathay room with its lovely view. The range of delicacies was good.
I wish I could have stayed there for a couple of days more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gypsybloood
Dear gypsybloood,

I am absolutely delighted that you had such a memorable experience during your stay at our iconic property while in Shanghai. I want to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with your fellow travelers and for also allowing me the opportunity to share your feedback with the entire team here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel.

We will look forward to hopefully welcoming you back upon your next visit to Shanghai.

Kindest Regards,

New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 5 days and the experience was amazing.... Right from the arrival experience to check in to room service .... All the way long. The hotel people were really helpful every time I asked for help... Never say no attitude... They go out of their way to help out... I even had some one escort me to the ATM machine one night... World class service... Would recommend this hotel again and again ....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ramasamy_n,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us at the Fairmont Peace Hotel. I greatly appreciate this opportunity you have given me to be able to recognize our colleagues for providing outstanding service to you during your stay.

I certainly hope that you will plan a return to Shanghai and our colleagues would greatly appreciate the opportunity to show our warm and engaging hospitality once again.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Fairmont did a wonderful job in renovating the old iconic Peace Hotel. The rich Old Shanghai art deco-ish decor was faithfully preserved in all of its new designs. The rooms, spa, and common areas all exude a most upscale ambience.

My wife and I, together with a few relatives, all stayed on the Gold floor for a week. The service we received at the Gold concierge and lounge was among the best and the warmest we have ever experienced anywhere, even compared to the likes of Four Seasons and Amans.

I rarely review, however in this case, I almost feel obligated to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tom C
Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This Fairmont didn't fail to please and lived up to the impeccable Fairmont reputation. English among the staff wasn't fluent, but whomever we approached would rapidly find a staff member who spoke English to assist us. And the Concierge made sure we had business cards with directions in Chinese back to the hotel when we left to ensure we could get back easily. The High Tea was inspired, I've never seen someone re-pour hot water with such pomp and flourish. Room service food was great too, we had two dinners in our beautiful room during this stay because we were too cold to go back outside.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank larscat
Broome, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

There is just nothing about this hotel that doesn't delight. From the fabulous location on the Bund, the wonderful character building renovated just a few years back, the magnificent lobby,the simply superb rooms ( I had Delux) with great touches such as the tv over the claw foot bath, the espresso machine with illy pods even an opening window...I good go on!
Service wise the staff were an absolute delight with generally very good English and great smiles.clearly they are trained and led by someone who truly understands that this IS the 'HOSPITALITY' industry.
And don't miss the Jazz band. Sadly I didn't get time to dine in but am confident it would be great...next time.

Room Tip: I didn't have a view to speak of but it really doesn't matter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear MocBroome_Australia,

We are absolutely delighted that you had such a memorable experience during your stay at our iconic property while in Shanghai. I want to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with your fellow travelers and for also allowing me the opportunity to share more great feedback with this dedicated team we are so lucky to have.

I hope that your travels will bring you back to Shanghai in the near future and you will finally have the chance to enjoy our culinary prowess as well.

Kindest Regards,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 6, 2013

If one wants to stay in the town area this is the best located property with easy access to the shopping areas and tourist areas.
The property itself has history and is immaculately kept.
Service is excellent and prompt.
Would stay here again if visiting Shanghai.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear ariesaj,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel. I am very happy to see that you had a very memorable experience and in particular that our staff took great care of you.

We will be here ready to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai and until then I wish you all the best.

Regards,