“Excellent overall experience”

Ranked #7 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent overall experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great overall experience with this hotel. Positives- Large rooms, very antique-ish interiors, great restaurants (including the Jazz club and great views from the Cathay room which also had amazing brunch). I am from HK so the price for all these amenities (AND the fact that it is RIGHT on the Bund) seemed rather cheap compared to tiny HK rooms at under 200 USD per night. I got free wi-fi but seems like that's not standard (but these days it's not with most of the hotels worldwide). Close to shopping centres and great restaurants facing the Bund. Very helpful staff. Free coffee machine (Nespresso type) is a touch I always admire. Negatives- I took off one star as the in-room entertainment (TV) was not great. They had a DVD player but no DVDs, and there was no On-demand feature. This should bother you only if you come to Shanghai to spend time indoors. I did end up spending one night indoors so this was a bit of a letdown. The floors are HUGE (think they have 70 rooms per floor) so you may have to walk a bit to get to your room, but it's not too bad. Overall, loved the place and would definitely consider it for my next trip to Shanghai!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
April 5, 2013
Dear Mei A,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with regards to your recent stay with us. I greatly appreciate this opportunity you have given me to be able to recognize our colleagues for providing outstanding service to you during your stay.

I also appreciate your feedback with regards to the difficulty experienced with our On Demand system and the rental of DVD's for your room. Both these services are expected to be seamless and effortless and I will follow up to ensure that what expect is in place moving forward.

I certainly hope that you will plan a return to Shanghai and our colleagues would greatly appreciate the opportunity to show our warm and engaging hospitality again.

George Wee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

From the moment I walked in, I felt like I was on an Art Deco movie set, yet one quickly realises that this is no movie set - it's real Art Deco. When your jaw is done gaping, you find your beautifully appointed suite. My two favourite features were the claw footed bath with in-bath television and a waterproof remote control; and your own in-room coffee machine.

The bed is soft, the decor tasteful, you'd be perfectly happy except they're hammering from 9am-5pm every day. Particularly great if you have an all-night Sunday night flight home and want to sleep in, because the hammering on the Mezzanine level goes on even on a Sunday at 9am. When you pay this much money for a hotel room, and complain, you really deserve to be moved to another room where this isn't happening. In fact at this room rate, I would suggest the affected rooms should either be unoccupied or heavily discounted.

As a result, despite loving how it looked, the location (right opposite the Oriental Pearl Tower) and even the in-house restaurant we chose (Dragon Phoenix) I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jackie M
Orange, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

First time we tried to travel on our own in China. Stayed at historic Peace Hotel, since I had heard my Dad talk about this hotel, and him staying there when China just opened up. Since Dad has now passed, I wanted to see some of the places he had been to.
Glad they did the renovations. My room was very large, and bathroom larger still. Loved the hugh soaking tub, and able to watch a small TV built into the wall. The other hotel rooms I had been to in Shanghai were newer, but a lot smaller. Did like the free upgrade, included daily breakfast package (sat by window on 8th Floor, watching the river & Pudong skyline). Fresh eggs & noodles made to order. Had afternoon tea, what a delight. Too bad we had a good lunch already, and the desserts were too much for us. But later, my wife caught a cold, so couldn't go to the famous Jazz bar at night.
Ideally located on the Bund, and 5 min walk to subway (if you are adventurous, 18 Yuan for whole day unlimited travel), and on Nanking street, pedestrian shopping area.
Service by staff was friendly & excellent. The dark lighting as alluded to by another writer, compliments the dark woods & historic feel of this place. After all, it is where all the former high power world leaders stayed. Glad I stayed at this hotel. The welcome fruit basket & chocolates on arrival to my room, was a pleasant surprise. But even better, was the refill basket twice more during my stay. I think I will go back again, and highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Adam C,

It gives me great pleasure to take this opportunity to express my most sincere appreciation for the feedback that you have shared for your experience at our wonderful property. There are really so many great stories that I will be able to share with the colleague, and recognize everyone for a job well done in providing you so many memories to bring home with you.

We truly hope that you will find your way back to Shanghai for another visit and we will look forward to providing you our warm and engaging hospitality again.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

The interior of this hotel is a very undertstated rich Art Deco - although somewhat dark and in need of improved lighting. The floral arrangement in the foyer is, without a doubt, a striking centrepiece that deserves a few photos. Staff at reception were efficient and helpful.Our room was unusually partitioned - with a small hallway, a generous walk-in wardrobe, bar area and an absolutely magnificent marble bathroom. The total ambience spells "luxury". The Breakfast room has one of the most striking views of the river and the Bund below.( Perhaps surpassed only by the Sydney Opera House across the harbour and the iconic Eiffel Tower in Paris) Breakfast choices are good but not as expansive as I've had in other 5 star hotels. Best of all, this is a centrally located hotel in terms of shops, restaurants and walking along the Bund. Views at night are just beautiful. Get your walking shoes and camera ready !

Room Tip: Room airconditioning can be unpredictable and the afternoon sun heats up a lot. Ask to see your room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Lakbay2009,

I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere appreciation for you taking the time to share your experiences at our iconic property. I will ensure that I personally take the time to share your wonderful insight with our colleagues, and also in particular recognize the Front Office team for being identified as making a positive impact on your stay.

You are absolutely correct in your feedback that our location is simply unbeatable in Shanghai.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

we stayed here for the first leg of our extensive China holiday.
the moment you enter the building you can not be anything but impressed with the classic art deco interior of the property.
Check in there was a slight problem, but after this was clarified, we were then escorted to our room whcih was very luxurious, and a great size with a lovely claw foot bath, with double sink and sperate toilet.
The rooms very spacious and light and airy.
The Breakfast room overlooking the river was lovely.
The Jazz Bar was a fun was to spend a night while in Shanghai.
Shopping in Najing Rd and the Bund was right on the doorstep.
The gym,pool and Spa area is really something special and a credit to Fairmont Hotels.

treat yourselves.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

A piece of art, this hotel is! I can feel the nostalgia in the lobby and the rooms have been very tastefully appointed.

Both times I stayed here I used upgrade certificates, so I can't comment on the standard rooms, but the suites are very nice indeed. The welcome basket on my second visit deserved a photo sent to friends in the annoying Instagram manner. The spa is very nice, and the workout room has everything you need.

Front desk staff have very good skills! I was walked to my room for a personal check-in and had services and history explained on the way.

I booked a small business meeting here and the room was properly set, though predictably underwhelming. Food service for coffee break was nice, but lunch in the restaurant didn't bowl me over. My Chinese clients did point out its quality, so perhaps my Western palette lacks the sophistication to taste the goodness of cold bone-in goose.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Michael F,

I would like to truly thank you for taking the opportunity to write such wonderful feedback about the details of your experience with our hotel and our colleagues. It will give me great pride and pleasure to be able to take this feedback and share it with the entire team here.

I would also like to thank you with regards to the feedback provided on your small meeting event and dining experience in our restaurant. There are some very useful points here that I will ensure are shared with the culinary team for their review.

Holland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is simply impressive. Sumptuous reception. Large and comfortable room very well furnished and lit. Excellent bed, large, very good linen and pillows. Bathroom with separate compartments for the bathtub, the shower and the toilette. All amenities you may need. Breakfast western and chinese with large variety of dishes and drinks. From the breakfast room the view of Shanghai and its new financial district with skyscrapers is beautiful.
The hotel is very well located close to the new financial district and in an area with plenty of possibilities for shopping and eating.
Staff competent and very kind.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business