Fairmont Peace Hotel
$145
  • Breakfast included
$157
  • Pool
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
$146
$101
$86
$282
2,270 results
All reviewsjazz barcathay roomgold loungethe dragonjasmine loungeart decophoenix restauranticonic hotelhigh teananjing roadwalk in closetacross the riverdressing roomfabulous hotelpudong skylinethe ground floorspecial thanks
Reviewed November 11, 2012

For a long time the Bund and this hotel in particular was symbol of colonoialsm, and this is still noticeable by some of the decrepit buildings near the hotel. Today, with China's remergency as a world power it has come to simpolize it's new found wealth and focus on luxury.

We were upgraded to a suite that was very spacious; our bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms I stayed in. Not only that, the suites are themed based on the one of the colonial powers so you'll get a sense of the furnishings from that period. Marble and every accoutrement you can think of has been fitted in these rooms - definitely one of the best Fairmont hotels I've stayed at.

Close to the river and Nanjing road, the hotel is also in a great location - although there is still a bit of seediness after hours. Only downside is that the it's a bit of maze inside the hotel, like getting to the pool, I gather because of the structural limitations.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I loved staying at the Fairmont Peace Hotel in Shanghai. Although expensive, it is a real experience -- elegant, luxurious, and spacious. Although the style is not my favourite (I prefer modern/contemporary), I loved the rooms and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to treat themselves to a beautiful and relaxing space. The first room had two queen beds in a separate bedroom with a full living room with separate desk area, washroom with huge claw-footed tub (with tv on the wall) and enclosed shower and toilet areas, coffee area in the hallway, and full-size closet with safe! The second room was smaller, but with the same huge washroom with all the amenities, a hallway/full closet/coffee area, and large room with king sized bed, desk area, couch, and armoire with a flat screen tv. I had the opportunity to see a number of rooms, since I was here on business with colleagues, and was pleasantly surprised to see the unique features of the different configurations -- all were beautifully appointed, however, and spacious. We stayed at the Fairmont at the beginning of our trip, and then enjoyed it so much that we returned for our last evening. The staff even turn down the bed in the evening, put on music and "night lighting" (a great feature of these rooms) and refresh towels. Decadence at its finest!

Although expensive at about $35 Cdn/US, the breakfast buffet is extensive, delicious, and fresh. The food choices are almost endless with both Chinese and Western selections, and the quality of food is high. I enjoyed yogurt and croissants, a freshly made omelet, and some great cheeses (which we did not find anywhere else). The restaurant is on the 8th floor and overlooks the Bund, which is an architectural treasure chest.

The hotel is expensive, but you definitely get your money's worth here. Since we stayed multiple nights and there were a few people in our group, we were able to negotiate a really good price with the manager ahead of the trip. If you're a Fairmont President's Club member, then you can access free Wifi in your room (you can sign-up for free on the spot).

The hotel is so large that the hallway system can be daunting depending on where your room is located in relation to the elevators. Our first room was at the opposite end of the elevators and was very confusing to find, despite the fact that I am quite good with spatial orientation! However, the quality of the room was so outstanding that this was a minor issue. Also, the hotel is extremely quiet, even on the street side.

I highly recommend a stay at the Fairmont Peace Hotel when in Shanghai and would happily visit here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Lovely hotel in fact luxurious! Room was large with everything finished quite elegantly. Bath was vey large with double sinks. The sinks were on opposite walls, so you really had your own space. There was a cartridge coffee maker. I know a lot of people really like those but I'm not a fan. There also was an electric kettle. The coffee making area was seperated from the bath and the sleeping area, so if someone was an early riser there is no noise. The one negative is the elevator situation. Because this was originally a home it has made it necessary to take the elevator to the Lobby and then transfer to another elevator to go to the dining areas. Location was great and so were the views. Easily walkable to many sites, shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Recently renovated, this historic gem is beautifully located on the Bund. Step literally across the street, and you are on the vast promenade of the Bund itself - with the extraordinary view across the river to Pudong, and its 20-year-new "Manhattan" skyline. Extraordinary! The lobby maintains the gracious feel of a by-gone era (although don't try taking pictures - that is apparently a no-no - just wait 'till the pesky staffer goes and snap away!). Our room was huge - you could hold meeting in the bathroom! Restaurants, however, are a bit sketchy. We arrived late because of delayed flights and, not wanting a big Chinese meal, settled for "Victor's." It was OK, but had a very limited selection and we were hustled out at 10:00 PM. The breakfast room is on the top floor & has a nice view, but it doubles as a Chinese restraurant in the evening, and the decor is a bit jarring for breakfast. The buffet is, however, very good - if not really extensive. Altogether, though, a very good way to experience the "old" and "new" Shanghai!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have stayed in several Fairmonts and this one is very different. A considerable amount of money has been spent on the refurbishment of this hotel and it shows. I stayed on the Club Floor, and the Concierge service exceeded my expectations. I really enjoyed my time in this hotel which I believe was 5 or 6 days. Willow Spa helped with the relaxation process - massages and facials were to a high standard.

The staff who work on this Club Floor are very well trained and attentive when required.

The food servings on this floor were plentiful and very well presented. In my opinion, better than those offered in some of their other Clubs.

I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are put on the 7th floor, ask what is above your room. In some cases there are function rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo